Any Aquarium owners out there ?

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Just finishing a vacuum and 50% water change on a 120 gal fresh water tank ....Not my most favorite thing to do on a Sunday afternoon, but needed.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Over the past 20+ years I have had to deal with only the 20gal to 10gal sizes. I can imagine the process for cleaning a tank the size of yours. I had mostly Tetras and Cichlids over the years. What kind of fish do you have?

I used to have a couple aquariums in the house. I miss having them, as they were very relaxing to watch, but don't miss the cleaning. Had 20gal lows, 37 gal and a 55 gal. The 55 had my African cichlids, but when I started dating my wife, her and her daughter stayed over one night. Her 9yo daughter thought the fish were cold, so she turned up the heater and cooked the fish! Also had an albino channel cat that outgrew the 37 gal. He got just over a foot long before I sold him to an aquarium store. By far, my favorite was my red Oscar. Grew to be pretty old and good sized since I was always feeding him live food like goldfish and small frogs I found outside. I keep thinking about getting back into aquariums, but the maintenance part keeps me from doing it.

Right now I have just 2 silver dollars , but they are big boys about 3 1/2" in diameter . I did have a plecostomous ( algae eater) that got to a foot long . I also had a catfish that was dark brown with white dots , he got real big too. I'm thinking of trying some Discus soon , expensive but they come in all different colors. Here is a pic of the tank , not that good of a pic because of the outside light . The tank is in the wall that separates the front door and living room so you can see through it from both sides. A friend gave me the idea to do that when we built the house.:cool: Sam
DSCN0164.JPG
DSCN0165.JPG

I have a 20 gallon tall, used to have a 30gallon. I'm actually looking to get maybe a 55gallon.

I had fun over the years but taking care of the tank(s) takes its toll. I kept mine going because the wife and kids enjoyed watching them. My neighbor in TX had a 150 gal fresh water tank. Huge fish in it from Oscars, plecos and others I can't remember right now. It takes a passion as a motivator or a significant other to maintain one of these. I love to watch them but the passion has slowly faded away.

A friend of mine got me into it and he was into it big . He had 90 tanks at his house mostly small 10 gal. ones but he would breed different fish from all over the world. He was a GM electrician like myself and he would bring fish eggs that were about to hatch to work in a small bottle and keep it in his shirt pocket to keep them warm. He passed away a few years ago from cancer in his late 40's . I miss him, he was the book of knowledge on fresh water aquariums and a damn good electrician.

Yes

I have a 72g Bowfront Mixed Reef and a 45g Freshwater Community Tank.

I'm currently starting on the Man Cave so I can bump up to a 150-200g Reef.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I love the looks of saltwater tanks , but I just don't have the time to take care of one . The fish are cool but expensive too !! Your reef tank looks great !! Here is a little better pic of my tank , of course the fish are hiding in the corner .
DSCN0168.JPG

I love the looks of saltwater tanks , but I just don't have the time to take care of one . The fish are cool but expensive too !! Your reef tank looks great !! Here is a little better pic of my tank , of course the fish are hiding in the corner .

Thanks!

I like your tank a lot!

Honestly, the reef isn't really hard to care for so to speak. Once its up and running for a few months, things seem to settle down. You are right a lot of fish are expensive. I had an Ich breakout about a year ago. Took out two Tangs and a Possum Wrasse. Those three fish cost me almost $300

Even worse is when your Coral starts to Die... Ugg....