Any advantage to changing gear ratio in rear?

brn agn

As some of you may know, I ruined the ring and pinion in my TTA about a month ago at the drag strip. After pulling it apart, I found out that a previous owner had swapped in a weak 10 bolt rear end. I am looking for a complete 9 bolt for the car and I was just wondering if anyone has changed their gear ratio and if it gained them anything? I used to have a 1987 IROC-Z. It had a 9-bolt with 3.45 gears and I have also seen 3.73's offered through vendors. It seems that someone told me that a gear ratio change is not worth it in these cars, but I am just curious if this is true and if so, why? Thanks in advance.

I was told (of some on the board) that it will be bad for the ET´s. But I replaced it with a 3.73 rear. I won´t see the results until next year as the season is over here in Sweden and it´s like 25F outside :(

It must be good in 1/8 ? You come off the line faster and get a good 60 foot. But in the 1/4 I dont know...

Daniel

These are low rpm motors, especially if fairly stock. The 3.45 should work well(after all the GN's were 3.42 and I run 3.42 with good results)but the 3.73 might be a bit much, either way be ready to run a taller tire as you get faster.

HTH,
Steve