Antifreeze of choice

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
I have to move my car and will need to drain the RMI/distilled water mix and replace with antifreeze/distilled water. What antifreeze is the product of choice these days? I haven't used it in so long I am out of touch. I was using Zerex in my Saab. It's expensive and this will only be used for a short time. I can buy the cheap green glycol at Menard's easily but am willing to listen if anyone has a good suggestion. In about 3 months I should be back to RMI mixture.

I have always used Prestone and never had a problem. You can use RMI-25 with anifreeze it will not cause any problems. If you know the capacity of your cooling system you could just drain 50% and add as much antifreeze as it takes to fill it back up since it's only going to be a short time.

I'm up here in Canada. Grab the Prestone 50/50. It's Scoob approved.:D

If you only empty the rad...use the pure stuff.

I will add that I use universal yellow type...just in case any other coolant is added, it won't turn to mud.

I just drained the radiator and got about 1.5 gallons or 6 quarts. I heard that the system capacity is 13 quarts. Is that true? if so, then I should be good to add 1.5 gallons of Prestone and let to mix with my distilled water mix that remains giving me close to 50/50 mix.

A 50/50 mix is good to minus 34 degrees F so if your close it should be good.

Depending on where you live and the temperatures it drops to of course,you may need to use a 70/30 mix and thats good to minus 84 degrees F.

I was able to blow another quart out of the heater core so I removed 1.75 gallons from the system and refilled with straight antifreeze. Ran the car and cycled the thermostat so I should be good. However I did check my owners manual and it said cars with A/C have a coolant capacity of 16 quarts FYI. I think it said non A/C cars have 15 quart capacity. It's in the owners manual though.

Did you check to see where your freeze protection level is with a tester after you added the antifreeze? That would be good for you to know.