anti virus

Uh..err It is less secure... The Macs have an unfortunate history of falling first since Vista was released. Just google pwn2own and you will see the results of all the fun hacking contests. I run Linux, bsd and Windows OSes the real threat is the Apple "Genius" that gives the false sense of security to a computer purchaser just so they can make a sale. The word virus is throw out there because that is what people associate with MS products. Computer security is multi layered and the OS being protected is only a fraction of the total use of a system. Apple users ignore all the other threats and soon fall victim without even knowing it.

Apple put in malware protection to their OS in a recent upgrade.
Well you could also just get a z/OS mainframe or AS/400 and never worry again :D
All PC platforms are hackable, just depends on what you know, hence the initials "PC", its not a business machine, don't know why Businesses don't understand that when it comes to $$. I still know of no one personally that has had a virus on Apple, every Windows user I know has had one regardless of what is read on the internet. I've worked on both platforms since the late 80's.

A virus is one thing, computer/data security is a much larger issue. No, currently there not any known propagating viruses for default installs of any apple OS. There are some for ios that has been jail broken on the iphone though (but that's is someone asking for trouble). Take a Windows box running current AV with adobe reader 9.3 vs any apple device running the same adobe version and watch which one gets compromised first. The Mac WILL lose in this case. The Windows AV will pick up an exploit launched against it and protect the pc. Just because you aren't looking for a .pdf doesn't mean it can't happen. If it's installed, it can be called up to compromise the local machine. Flash and Java have the same issues. It is not just the OS with the problems, it is the applications installed. An AV solution is a better bet for handling these events.

I won't post links to sites that will completely compromise a mac with a month old install of adobe reader installed, I am sure you guys can find them:)

Buy the bullet and spend 39.99, buy kasperky 2010 antivirus, one of the best i've ever used period.

Yep, the best there is. Worth every penny. Never had an attack, ever. Does not use up much memory and you'll never know it's there.

Mikey

Yep, the best there is. Worth every penny. Never had an attack, ever. Does not use up much memory and you'll never know it's there.

Mikey

Eeyup.
I run that and Spyware Doctor [kind of redundant].
Three years on the new lap top and I've never had to reinstall.
I've never seen anything like it.
Norton 360 appears to be their version of Kaspersky's way of doing things.
Doesn't work as well.
I've tried it on my new lappy.
Went back to Kaspersky on that one too.
IMO you can't be it.
Tests by reviewers have shown this too.:)

I'll just throw this out there, only run one anti virus on a pc. Any more then one and they will conflict, with each other.
Someone mentioned norton is a buger to get off your machine, your right it is, google "norton removal tool" to get norton's own program to do just that, remove all there crap.
I have two hobby's Buick's and PC Repair/Custom Builds, the one compliments the other. I personally recomend AVG Free, just use the link above or google "avg free" to get the download.
Another area not mentioned very much is, malware, I recomend three programs for this department, Malwarebytes, Advanced Systems Care and EasyCleaner, and that's it. Keep them updated before running there scans, run there scans once every month if you think about it or notice your system slowing down.
If your computer is already infected, back up your personal things, almost all can be found under "My Documents", I recomend a external 1 Terabyte hard drive ($70 or so @ Tigerdirect or newegg.com when on sale) then reinstall your OS, get all the service pack updates, load the above programs, then your personal stuff from the external hard drive and your set.
Some will argue not to reformat the HD and start over, but let me say from exsperience, it can be a lot quicker and cleaner then digging out all the viruses and repairing corrupted files.

Chuck

I'll just throw this out there, only run one anti virus on a pc. Any more then one and they will conflict, with each other.
Someone mentioned norton is a buger to get off your machine, your right it is, google "norton removal tool" to get norton's own program to do just that, remove all there crap.
I have two hobby's Buick's and PC Repair/Custom Builds, the one compliments the other. I personally recomend AVG Free, just use the link above or google "avg free" to get the download.
Another area not mentioned very much is, malware, I recomend three programs for this department, Malwarebytes, Advanced Systems Care and EasyCleaner, and that's it. Keep them updated before running there scans, run there scans once every month if you think about it or notice your system slowing down.
If your computer is already infected, back up your personal things, almost all can be found under "My Documents", I recomend a external 1 Terabyte hard drive ($70 or so @ Tigerdirect or newegg.com when on sale) then reinstall your OS, get all the service pack updates, load the above programs, then your personal stuff from the external hard drive and your set.
Some will argue not to reformat the HD and start over, but let me say from exsperience, it can be a lot quicker and cleaner then digging out all the viruses and repairing corrupted files.

Chuck

X2... I think its a good idea for everyone to have a external HD and keep everything thats important on it... Then if you HAD to reformat someday its just a PITA but you wont lose anything important..... I speak from experience... Its the worst when you have to start all over!!!

hello people; Thanks for the help and I learned a few things and alot more to learn.
I took the day off and did a few things and one was buy a AV program. I went to Best Buy and there was all kinds of Norton products but very few of Kaspersky or Trend Micro. I went with the TM max. security because it was on sale for like $50.00. I just installed it and I thought I deleted the Norton but the install said it was still there.
Well it's in and now I hope it does it's job.
IBBY

hello people; For you puter people. Does this make sense. While at Best Buy I had a few questions and when I told the guy about Norton he said that it was for PC's only and not laptops. So my question was why did my laptop cum with a trial useage of Norton installed by BB? He said that they probably have a deal worked out and that it would be installed on all there puters being sold.
It seems with the Trend Micrio the LT is runnin a little faster.
IBBY

hello people; For you 'puter people. Does this make sense. While at Best Buy I had a few questions and when I told the guy about Norton he said that it was for PC's only and not laptops. So my question was why did my laptop cum with a trial useage of Norton installed by BB? He said that they probably have a deal worked out and that it would be installed on all there puters being sold.
It seems with the Trend Micro the LT is runnin a little faster.
IBBY

1.The salesperson is an idiot.
A laptop is a computer.
Did they say Mac or Apple?

2.I'm not surprised.
Norton is a resource hog.

hello people; Just to let TB owners know that if you are a Costco member and it's on-line only, you can get Kaspersky anti-virus 2011 for 3 PC's for $19.99 delivered. I think it's a good deal.
Or you go on line and pay nothing. Personally I'd pay the $20.00.
IBBY
one more thing you can also get the Norton for 3 PC's for $24.99 with a bonus on line backup. If that floats your boat.

Norton and McAfee are both huge resource and system hogs!! I've been advised for years by experts to avoid them. They recommended one of the best out there is:

Webroot AV and spysweeper.

Has been working flawlessly for me and doesn't crash/slow my computer like Norton and McAfee used to.