another what converter thread

shocker998md

So my build direction has changed. Im just getting the engine put back together with new rings, gaskets, comp 980 springs and the factory turbo. I have the factory d5 converter and a PATS 3000 rpm stall that was spec'd out for a Turbonetics CPT61 and 60 lb injectors. Would there be any negatives to running the 3000 stall on a mostly stock setup? It will have 42 lb injectors, meth, turbotweak chip, 3 inch DP to 3 inch rjc cross flow, 255/60/15 tires and that's about it.

So stock d5 with 90k on it or the Pats? They are both on the shelf.

PATS if its a 10" or smaller, at least you can upgrade to a bigger turbo when your ready without re pulling out the d5.

I just didn't now how a mostly stock engine and turbo would re act to that new converter. I want to put the pats in there just so I wont have to swap it later.

Would there be any negatives to running the 3000 stall on a mostly stock setup?
the main thing that will make or break the combo will be where the rpm goes at wot ( flash stall).see the stock motor doesn't like to be at higher rpm the looser the converter the tendency is to reach a higher rpm quicker.the turbo needs to make boost very fast on the stock motor that's why smaller units work so well and the d5s are tight.

I just didn't now how a mostly stock engine and turbo would re act to that new converter. .......................

I can answer that question for you as in April of 1987 I installed a 10" non-lock up converter in my new T-Type. I did not know the stall then, and still do not know what it is, but it makes this car run and respond MUCH better than stock, it is awesome on the street.

I drove my car to Sacramento for the ATR mods, and Jimmy's Transmission did the converter and calibrated the governor which took him 3 days of mods and road testing before he was satisified.

At highway speeds of 65-70 MPH there is only a difference of about 100 RPM less than the stock converter.

Also a few mods were done like an ATR exhaust with no cat, ATR chip and air intake. Of course the stock tires were replaced with decent "stickies" for back then, nothing like what we have now for the street.

The engine is untouched to this day as the valve covers have never been off and has under 10K miles, but still it is a "killer" in the stoplight-to-stoplight derby!

To this day it is tough to persuade an owner to use a looser and smaller converter for better performance.

I would never use a 12" converter for a 60mm and up turbo if performance and response is a goal.

Sweet, thanks Nick. Looks like ill put in my Pats converter when I put everything back together. Then it will be good if I decide to put my bigger turbo and fuel injectors in. If I don't put the new parts in any time soon it should still drive good.

How old is the pats converter? Lots of new tech since those were considered state of the art.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

4 years old, new in the box, on the shelf, paid for and collecting dust.

budget is why my build has changed, Im just trying to get the car back together to move it.