Another valve spring question

muzz

I am getting ready to change my valvesprings on the car and I am not sure how to compress the springs.My spring tool grabs the top and the bottom of the spring and there is a shield around the bottom half.What is the purpose of that and how do I compress the springs? Thanks in advance.

i did mine today, and i just took a screwdriver and pryed it off. i didnt put mine back on cause the new springs were a little taller. just my .02 cents..dont know if im right but thats what i did.....brett

get the kirban (rons auto) tool

much easier to do with the kirban tool and an old rocker shaft

i just did my valve spring today,all i can tell you the first 2 in the back on the passenger side is a pain in the @ss.Be prepare cause it's going to take a good 3 to 4 hour or so to due:mad:

get the kirban (rons auto) tool

much easier to do with the kirban tool and an old rocker shaft

Pacecarta is right. Just get the Kirban tool and save yourself a lot of time. Also, if you have an air compressor, get a compression testing tool and use the piece from that and fill the cylinder with air. It makes changing them a lot faster. just be careful not to bump the valve while the spring and keepers are off. Otherwise you get to fishin' for valves or at the worst, pulling the head.