another turbo question

N2HIPSI

1 of 463
...getting ready to buy a new turbo and need some ideas. i have a pretty good street set-up with ported and polished big valve heads,.20je's,214 comp cam,billet caps,50#injectors, thumbwheel, ac 9inch,pte doghouse, and pte fm. icurrently have a te-60 that needs a rebuild. I have two options. I can have the te rebuilt to te-62 specs or step-up. If I step-up should i go t63e, te-45, or te-70. I want to stay three bolt and am looking for high 10's at low boost(20-22psi). any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've never heard any complaints about the TE45. I know plenty of guys have used it with much success. You may need to consider injectors bigger than the 50's for just about any of those turbo's.

stay away fron the 62 i hear its the same ext wheel as the 51&52 turbo's... i have had emails from guys with the 62's having the same problem as my 51's did..

im going to the te45 from John Craig next it is a big shaft turbo which is much more durable and all i have seen about the 45 is good reply's ... it will cost more to start with but then look at me i've had 4 51's go out in 6 months time ..add that up and see that its cheaper to get a real turbo to start with..

i was warned to stay away from the 51 turbo before i ever bought the first one but i hadent found anyone having problem with it or atleast no one talking about their problems... now that i've had problems im getting emails from alot of people with the same problem....now i wish i had listened and stayed away..

I recently acquired an 86 GN with a TE62 less than 4 months old. Car was well taken care of and the 62 self-destructed. The whole thing was crap for no known reason. It was slow to spool but due to my orange stripe convertor. I'd like to get a TE44 but now am undecided because of horror stories.:confused: