Another Hot Air bitching thread!!!!

I see you've got alot of goodies and home fabbed pieces in your sig, how about posting some pics of your set up for some of the newbies and myself of coarse.:biggrin::biggrin:

Pete

Okay, here you go. You guys asked for pictures. I'll start with the engine bay.
104_2749.jpg

Next are the pictures of the head ports and combustion chamber.
100_1097.jpg

100_1105.jpg

100_1102.jpg

100_1092.jpg

Finally, the passenger exhaust manifold uppipe, and bottom half of the downpipe.
100_1123.jpg

100_1120.jpg

103_5366.jpg

Very Nice! Really like your exhaust setup.

I see you're going without A/C. I'm getting a lot of flack about yanking the A/C off my car.

Very Nice! Really like your exhaust setup.

I see you're going without A/C. I'm getting a lot of flack about yanking the A/C off my car.

Yeah very nice. Excellent job on the head porting also.....that's where the real power is for a Hot Air car and the passenger header also. I still have my A/C, it blows coldddddd too.:biggrin::biggrin: Hey DBR84GN what part of the country you in? I was thinking when I got home me you and Eric can have a Hot Air battle royale lol.

Thanks for the good words. I have a lot of time in it and the car itself still looks like poop. Sorry esinger that's a older pic I put the a-c back on and converted it to 134 it blows nice and cold too

Thanks for the good words. I have a lot of time in it and the car itself still looks like poop. Sorry esinger that's a older pic I put the a-c back on and converted it to 134 it blows nice and cold too

from those pics the motor looks plenty good, how did that header wrap work out on the pipes? I did that with my up pipe and it was good for a while but now the wrap is brittle and If you bump it when you wrench on the car it just kinda crumbles, let me know how yours held up maybe its just the brand I used, and I also see you're right down 81 from me. Do you go down to Quarteraces and run it in the 1/8th? They're practically in your back yard. I usually go up to beaver springs to play around and tune, but I got some stuff doing right now haven't got up to the track for over a month.

First off, I would like to say sorry Boostmaster. I feel as though I hijacked your thread. That was not my intention. Youngster, I think the header wrap worked well. There are 2 years and about 8k on it now, and it is a little more brittle now but not bad. I heard that it would make the pipe brittle, and it would eventually crack. I'm willing to take that chance as it really helps with the heat, and if they do crack I'll just make them again. I used Thermo-Tec 11032 copper coated wrap. Yes Quarteraces is where I ran it. Happened all by chance, like i said it was the Buicks and my first run down the strip ever!

I don't have a scanner at the moment, and my son has my camera, so I can't post a pic of the time slip, but I can list my times, its nothing impressive, as you see from my sig the car only has minor upgrades, chip, injectors, cold air kit, maf and translator (thanks eric translator works great) still running stock motor insides with 140,000 on them and a stock turbo that on a 75 deg day I can get 20 lbs out of. Still working on the T/A33c and gbody downpipe, like I said the motor inside is untouched and high mileage with a tap that I believe is a wiped cam lobe and no suspension work other than eibach lowering springs and falken street tires so no goofin, I know its still slow, but its getting there when I first got the car I was doing high 16's.

This run was at 18lbs, at least thats what the powerlogger says, small knock on the 2/3 shift, shift grabbed good, just seemed like the motor was lugged right at the shift like the rpm was too low once it was in gear I might try pedaling the 2/3 shift next time I'm out, see if that takes the knock away.

R/T 0.081
60ft 2.137 -- street tires & stock suspension, I know that 60 ft time is terrible, 4lbs at launch can't hold it at more boost vaccume brakes.
330ft 6.271
1/8 9.754
1/4 15.397

I'm gonna keep working at this car but I refuse to convert, I just have to keep working at doing things that open up the air flow and start addressing the suspension, maybe some upgraded control arms, and convert to disk brakes in the back and put some big honkin calipers on it so I can spool up 6 or 7 lbs to launch with, I don't know I'm still reading and researching trying to buy parts that make sense. I like to search the forum for different combos and set ups, I don't really consider the info as outdated being that all our parts are outdated, its not economical for the venders to support us with as many parts , or new parts as the IC cars have, because most ppl don't care about the challenge or tradition they just want that sexy regal body and if they have to convert to ic to go fast then they're ok with that, I not bustin on them its their car and their money, I'm just saying not everybody wants the challenge, they just want to look good going fast. Me, I want to look good and go fast and nothing beats that blank look on ppls faces when ya tell them " no, I don't run an intercooler." but hey thats just me.

First off, I would like to say sorry Boostmaster. I feel as though I hijacked your thread. That was not my intention. Youngster, I think the header wrap worked well. There are 2 years and about 8k on it now, and it is a little more brittle now but not bad. I heard that it would make the pipe brittle, and it would eventually crack. I'm willing to take that chance as it really helps with the heat, and if they do crack I'll just make them again. I used Thermo-Tec 11032 copper coated wrap. Yes Quarteraces is where I ran it. Happened all by chance, like i said it was the Buicks and my first run down the strip ever!

Hey guy no problem. Actually that was the purpose of this thread in the first place. As it was my gripe that people, particularly the newbies, have this misconception that you must convert to intercooled to run fast. And I was saying as a community that the only way to combat that perception is by actually posting more postive info that has proven to work when the principles are applied. All you did is just validate exactly what I've been trying to point out. And I must say you did so with flying colors.

Furthermore the fact that (as you said) you've been lurking and following the progress of others and used the search feature just goes to show that all the info is there for anyone that wants to make a hot air run fast. You just have to apply yourself. And that is the main issue with most hot air owners they think that 12's will just drop in their laps even after they convert to intercooled.

Youngstr what was your mph in the 1/8 & 1/4 on that run? That tells the real story. Et can be manipulated by traction but mph tells the story of how much power a car is really making. Plus with the stock passenger side header on your car the biggest turbo and downpipe in the world won't make that much of a differance. If your going to try to get the most out of what you got with the stock turbo you need to keep the boost at no more than 20psi, bump the timing up "slowly" and run real race gas. Anything more than 20 psi on a stock turbo is adding more heat and no gains at all. Not 15 gallons of 93 and then add 2 gallons of C-16. I mean drive or tow it to the track nearly empty and put 5 gallons of race fuel in it. Turn the boost up, bump up the timing and let her rip.

......... As it was my gripe that people, particularly the newbies, have this misconception that you must convert to intercooled to run fast. And I was saying as a community that the only way to combat that perception is by actually posting more postive info that has proven to work when the principles are applied. All you did is just validate exactly what I've been trying to point out. And I must say you did so with flying colors.

Furthermore the fact that (as you said) you've been lurking and following the progress of others and used the search feature just goes to show that all the info is there for anyone that wants to make a hot air run fast. You just have to apply yourself. And that is the main issue with most hot air owners they think that 12's will just drop in their laps even after they convert to intercooled.

Enough said. :)
I belief to have finally created a set-up that will work for my goals, and will share details when the combo is proven in a year or so.
Nothing earth shattering, and right now, it is just a bunch of bolt together parts. :rolleyes:

I belief to have finally created a set-up that will work for my goals, and will share details when the combo is proven in a year or so.
Nothing earth shattering, and right now, it is just a bunch of bolt together parts. :rolleyes:

Damn Jerryl, why you making us wait so long?

Damn Jerryl, why you making us wait so long?

LOL, other commitments, priorities.
It will be worth the wait. :eek::tongue:

PS:
I really enjoy reading your post and appreciate your "Keeping it Real Hot" ........ Air input. :cool:

if places would carry parts for these cars then nobody would be converting to the intercooled engine.

if places would carry parts for these cars then nobody would be converting to the intercooled engine.

I disagree with this statement. All parts are available for a hot air once you convert the ecm and ign to the 86/87. The only limitations are the size of the turbo and the inherent design of the hot air engine. Can't find a part? Ask. My 2 cents. Brad

FINE. anyone wanna save another '85 GN?? it's completely stock. trade me for your '86-87. fair enough?

:)

I disagree with this statement. All parts are available for a hot air once you convert the ecm and ign to the 86/87. The only limitations are the size of the turbo and the inherent design of the hot air engine. Can't find a part? Ask. My 2 cents. Brad

as someone that comes into this new (as i am), all searches turn up 50 IC search hits for every HA part and bit of info i can find.

if i convert to IC, i will have no difficulty finding parts i need. and since there are SO many, the prices have to be competitive. i don't mind spending days and days in the garage working on the car. i do mind spending days and days searching the internet for a downpipe. and if only a couple people make it, how expensive will this be??

i bought my car to have fun with, not feel like a collector trying to find a radiator support for a '65 Shelby Cobra.

dude. it's a regal.

for me, it's about reaching my goals. my goal is to have a fun car to drive and have fun building it. finding rare parts is not part of the equation. if upgrading from an outdated system to something new helps me get there easier, why not do it?
i don't milk a cow. i go buy milk.

just sayin...

converted to something newer and better?? how DARE you?! :p

Kaj the main point is that there are close to 30k 86/87 TR's where as there are less than 10k 84/85's. That's a 3-1 ratio and by the time you buy an HA Car and convert it to IC you could have just bought an 86/87 in the first place and save the HA car for the people who enjoy them.