Another Hot Air bitching thread!!!!

boostmaster

Ok now it's my time to gripe!!!!

All of the guys and girls of the hot air community, we are all here for the same reason. For the knowledge, enjoyment and the preservation of our vehicles. With that said, how can we get upset with so many people wanting to convert there cars over to intercooled when so little of us are setting examples for those coming into the forum of what a hot air car is capable of in stock form.
I mean really, intercooled guys are putting up time slip posts all the time and truly take their cars to the limit. Not so in our forum. Many of you guys get so discouraged and embaressed when you put up bad numbers that you never return to the r&d that it takes to maximize your combo. There are occassionally a few bright spots like Boost231, Turbo6x2, John Bruce, recently Eric Singer and don't forget the great one Lee Thompson, but what about the rest of us.

I hate to say it but we can't get upset about all the conversions if we don't start giving these guys something to look forward to. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board and everyones telling guys you don't need to convert to intercooled to run 7's in the 1/8 or 11's in the quarter, but I see very few running to the drag strip to prove it.

Some will say I really didn't buy my car to race it and yada,yada,yada. I say you can't get mad at a guy for wanting to go with a proven set up when very few of us have proven a damn thing.

So who's gonna start stepping up to the plate. I will be the first to take the pledge that I will consistantly run 7.50's in the 1/8 and mid 11's when I get back home from Iraq. Now some of you don't need to aim that high but whatever your goals are can we at least get a commitment to do something to stop the perception that the only way to go is intercooled.

as you said, theres just so very few ha guys that race.
i agree it would be nice to get some updated proven timeslips and recipes on here to help deter some of the frustrated guys

Time Slips coming!!

First off I don't see what all the bitching is about, Lots of people get the Hot Airs and don't know what there getting into, and want the easy way out, well that simple, don't buy a GN, but a damn Camaro and Big Block it, easy simple and straight to the point.

Second off, are cars are NOT slow, I compete will G-Bodys all the damn time big blocks and small. I smoke most of them and keep up with the rest.

My cars are full street trim and full weight, oh yeah and they have a 3.8 V6 in it, so what the F**K is so slow about a 20 plus year old car with half the motor keeping up????

I made a few runs in my GN late last season, and I was kicked off the track for no cage or safty equipment, so I know dame good and well, my car is fast.

There ain't a good damn car in my area that will keep up on the streets or evern try!

It is all about the tune, the right tune gets the best reults, plan and simple.

See the are 2 problems, one is people are lazy and just not a good challange.

Number 2 I think has a lot do to with our cars is the throttle body location.

I built a 2.3 Turbo mustang years ago and blew off a high 10 second pass, damn near 11's, but it was still a 10 second pass. I remeber when I was working on that car and everyone was telling me I was stupid and wasting money and time and I would never get my car into the tens.

Well I like them odds.;)

I like a challange, and thats when it is worth it.
Every show I go to I am the only one with Hot Air cars there, and you would not believe how many people think it is fake or coblied up or something, Then I educate them and they learn something new. I know my cars are not the best and not the fastest and so on, but they are mine I bought them cause I wanted to. I am happy to have them. I like going out and having people ask " are you the guy with the turbo buick":biggrin:

It is pretty simple and straight forward, if you want a challange and like to stand out get a HA, if not got the other way and get an IC car, but either way you go I thank you for keep the history alive or ruining a good car and making less of them in the world, make mine more valuable in the future!!!!

Oh and remeber are cars are the biggest part of the evolution chain for the Grand Nationals:cool:

I promise post some new timeslips soon. At the TurboBuick.com nationals my car was not a happy camper. Wideband was showing the car going lean and was getting knock. My best run was around 8.0 second pass in the eight mile. I tried pouring fuel in, but it didn't really improve things much. I finally gave up and decided to turn down the boost and timing and shoot for the 8.49 second race.

Since then I've installed the ISAC boost/Alky controller, a Type II ignition module/coils, new plug wires, Camaro front sway bar, two new front tires (w/ alignment which was really needed) and I have a ATR style rear swaybar coming in the mail soon.

Once I'm done with the rear swaybar, I'll be ready for track time. My 60' times haven't been impressive and that, plus tuning w/ the ISAC is where my focus is going right now.

Well if you want to b!tch then look at what I'm having to do. No friggin upgrades at all. I have to make my own. The fastest a C/T car has ever gone is 12:92 corrected. There are a few of us that are trying to change that. I'm one of the few that has taken on a challenge that no one has done yet. Yes, it's easier to switch to an IC system but the challenge is there and if I'm able to do it, great. If not then I'll try again.

i will post some new times slip the next time to the track, probley wont be till november but maybe sooner.

Meh....:cool:

This sh!t's all been done folks...:rolleyes:

I ran the time in my sig,what...7-8 years ago?

Chris Wilson ran 11s at 117 right around that time too...

Lee was hauling ass back then, and Jamie was starting to pour it on...

If you want to go fast with a hotair the info is a search away.

Hell if Razor was making his alky kit when I was building my car I probably never wounld have bought my Spearco kit. All we had then was DIY or SMC(which I ran).

I'm still laughing at the bitching in that other thread. That has also happened before. It's probably all gone since it was on "the old board" (if your join date is may 2001 you know what I'm talking about :cool: ) but guys used to go round and round in here...cool84 vs. TTA89...Dan Smith vs. the world...Louie vs. whoever...

My point is...this has all been done before.

Hotairs have gone fast before.

Guys have gotten in pissing matches before. Me included and I was a moderator:cool::D.

There's been heated debates about who is still a real hotair and who isn't.:rolleyes:

GET OVER IT.

It doesn't matter, and if hotair guys spent 1/10th the amount of time wrenching/tuning/racing their cars as they do in here pissing and moaning there'd be more than 10 cars in the history of this forum that ran faster than 110mph in the 1/4...

Later,Sean

I agree

Meh....:cool:

This sh!t's all been done folks...:rolleyes:

I ran the time in my sig,what...7-8 years ago?

Chris Wilson ran 11s at 117 right around that time too...

Lee was hauling ass back then, and Jamie was starting to pour it on...

If you want to go fast with a hotair the info is a search away.

Hell if Razor was making his alky kit when I was building my car I probably never wounld have bought my Spearco kit. All we had then was DIY or SMC(which I ran).

I'm still laughing at the bitching in that other thread. That has also happened before. It's probably all gone since it was on "the old board" (if your join date is may 2001 you know what I'm talking about :cool: ) but guys used to go round and round in here...cool84 vs. TTA89...Dan Smith vs. the world...Louie vs. whoever...

My point is...this has all been done before.

Hotairs have gone fast before.

Guys have gotten in pissing matches before. Me included and I was a moderator:cool::D.

There's been heated debates about who is still a real hotair and who isn't.:rolleyes:

GET OVER IT.

It doesn't matter, and if hotair guys spent 1/10th the amount of time wrenching/tuning/racing their cars as they do in here pissing and moaning there'd be more than 10 cars in the history of this forum that ran faster than 110mph in the 1/4...

Later,Sean

You are 100% correct and that's my point! Those days have long gone by when this board was alive with people that actually did put up or shut up. Many have long moved on and times have changed. Just to mane a few....twins, buick from hell, reds hot air, Drew Carlton, Cool84, TType84, No cooler, 6Sense and many, many others. But my point is at least then new hot air owners had something to look forward to. Something to shoot for instead of just converting their vehicles to the 86-87 set up. Sure a search function is a few keystrokes away but the server on takes you back so far and if you want any current info on what hot airs are really running the only real bright spot in recent history is Boost231 and Eric Singer running pump gas and alky. No disrespect to Turbo6x2 and others accomplishments but in todays short attention span era they are old news. Hell after searching myself I had not realized that it was 2002 when Lee Thompson ran 10.77 and it's been a few years since Jamie ran 10.71. Running 10's is kinda out of the ball park for the average hot air owner but hell how many posts in the last couple of years have you even seen about anyone even running 11's? 12's? 13's? So you tell me even with all the talk about how to make a hot air move, as a newbie even using the search function what do I have to look forward to?

You are 100% correct and that's my point! Those days have long gone by when this board was alive with people that actually did put up or shut up. Many have long moved on and times have changed. Just to mane a few....twins, buick from hell, reds hot air, Drew Carlton, Cool84, TType84, No cooler, 6Sense and many, many others. But my point is at least then new hot air owners had something to look forward to. Something to shoot for instead of just converting their vehicles to the 86-87 set up. Sure a search function is a few keystrokes away but the server on takes you back so far and if you want any current info on what hot airs are really running the only real bright spot in recent history is Boost231 and Eric Singer running pump gas and alky. No disrespect to Turbo6x2 and others accomplishments but in todays short attention span era they are old news. Hell after searching myself I had not realized that it was 2002 when Lee Thompson ran 10.77 and it's been a few years since Jamie ran 10.71. Running 10's is kinda out of the ball park for the average hot air owner but hell how many posts in the last couple of years have you even seen about anyone even running 11's? 12's? 13's? So you tell me even with all the talk about how to make a hot air move, as a newbie even using the search function what do I have to look forward to?

:cool: I have been meaning to get some ET for you guys. Sure i wont be the fastest but I never planned on running her on the strip, It was a project i wanted for myself, I didn't care about if i could run 10's or not, just that it runs, it's a 85 T-type, I made it streetable again not just let it rust up in a backyard. I will say i have spent a good amount of time&money on this but i also like working on it. Like with anything, "work with what you got"

Another thing is i get compliments all the time EVEN with my paint all crappy. Hell people come up to my door asking about if it's for sale, year after year. Some kid in a M3 asked about it last year.
I will when I get time&money to send her out for paint&body work. I will Get some ETs when all is right. ;)

so there is a god huh lee thompson etc

who cares about why peeps want to I/C there car.

Tim stockwell ran in the tens with a stock turbo/I/C yrs ago too but has anybody else been able to do it again?

The best bang for the Buck is to add a chemical I/C (alky) or add a i/c period.

but for every fast hot -air there is there are 10 faster I/C with the same amount of money spent. thats including the I/C car costing more.

But i do understand that there are more I/C cars out there.

The biggest issue here is that peeps buy 84-85 GN's without doing much research about them. They just know that there fast due to the internet and or local guy at the dragstrip has one and spent thousands to make it fast but did they know that hell no!.

The best bang for the dollar...

Nitrous

If you want your Hot-Air car to fly... put your money into upgrading your fuel system to support a dual shot nitrous system. It will shut down your Alchy idea hands down.

I haven't lost a street race "HOT-Air" on the bottle. It worked.

Large turbo and can't spool? Nitrous

:biggrin:

I still have a bottle... and I am intercooled.

i hear what you are saying. i owned a 85' GN a few years back (i think it was 04/05), and posted on this board then also. did a few performance mods to it and was planning on running it at the track... but soon after finishing the build, i decided to buy a house and sold the car to fund that purchase

since then, ive visited this site every once in awhile just to see what the hotair community is up to, but rarely... and i mean RARELY do i ever see posts about dragstrip runs. almost all the members on here have mods done to their cars, some have ALOT done. but no posts about racing, or even times in their signatures

i mean, werent these cars built by Buick for one purpose: to go insanely fast in a straight line? these cars dominated the dragstrips back when they were new, racing them at the strip now is practically honoring their heritage

well, i can say as soon as my wife gets back to work (just had a baby boy a few months ago), and our income returns to normal, i will get another one of these cars. cecil county dragway is right around the corner from me and you can bet ill be a regular there in my future Buick

i want to race my hotaire soon to be ic car at the strip if that helps any lol. thanks sean for the speacro kit lol

There is a new member to the site, hotairgnx548. John was consistantly running mid 11's earlier this year, until our local track got flooded.

Actually my car still runs 10's but why post something if you don't beat your personal best? I guess I don't know why there is all this complaining about people not posting anymore, there are reasons. I will post again once I beat my old personal best and it's not like I haven't been trying new things, but my Husband has been unemployed since February of 2009 and the budget can only support so much racing and traveling. I still have my car and I still plan to push it to even further limits, I just tend to test and test some more to make sure everything is going to work. I don't have unlimited funds and can only do what I can afford.

Actually my car still runs 10's but why post something if you don't beat your personal best? I guess I don't know why there is all this complaining about people not posting anymore, there are reasons. I will post again once I beat my old personal best and it's not like I haven't been trying new things, but my Husband has been unemployed since February of 2009 and the budget can only support so much racing and traveling. I still have my car and I still plan to push it to even further limits, I just tend to test and test some more to make sure everything is going to work. I don't have unlimited funds and can only do what I can afford.

Jamie I understand your circumstances and no one can blame you for putting your priorities in order. But this thread really had no intent to be directed at you. Of all people you and Lee Thompson have set the bar for all of us to shoot for. Lee's accomplishments by all means might elevate him to the being known as the "great one" in terms of hot air performance, but what you accomplished is even greater because you were the first production block hot air vehicle to make it into the 10's. And that itself needs no constant updates. You did it and set the standard higher.

Hell in this forum in the last 5 years even before the recession set in I can count on my hands, and I mean less than my 10 fingers, How many veterans and board posters have had any updates to back up all the advice they have given about combos tuning and such. I'm not the smartest guy in the world but I can tell you this from being at the track a time or two, people listen to the guys that have been there running fast not someone that's fast at the mouth. So with that said if all hot air owners were running faster than our mouths we would start getting some respect. And you M'am have mine.

These comments although are a little harsh as a disclaimer there is no intention to insult, degrade or personally belittle anyone. This is strictly my opinion and I respect the fact that yours may be different.

Pete

I get exactly what you are saying Pete. I have a few things up my shelve and one may be headers for hot airs, yes you read that correctly, I might be able to set those of you seriously looking for headers for your hot air up a possible person who can do these. Working on this right now and will know more shortly. I am tired to death of welding the passagner side header up and this time it looks like swiss cheese, thus working on getting ATR type design done, if it works out I'll post a thread and help serious buyers only. With GBody offering an up pipe and down pipe for these cars the cross over will be the only other thing and I'm thinking that will be doable as well. Again this is something I'm presently working on, if it becomes reality I'll share with our small community. If everything else comes together maybe I can raise that bar a few pegs higher. :rolleyes:Hey I've ran in THS so that's something anyway.. LOL

I bought my '84 GN primarily for the looks, especially the interior. Personally, if I want to go faster, I'll convert. Either way I'll enjoy my '84. Hot or cool, it's still a turbo Buick, and that's good enough for me. :)

I bought my '84 GN primarily for the looks, especially the interior. Personally, if I want to go faster, I'll convert. Either way I'll enjoy my '84. Hot or cool, it's still a turbo Buick, and that's good enough for me. :)

I'll second that...!!

I'll second that...!!
1984 GN--Stock Turbo w/adj. wastegate actuator, 42.5 blue stripe injectors, Poston headers, Homemade 2 1/2" downpipe w/RJC flange (no elbow), Walboro 340 fuel pump-hotwired, Adj. Fuel Press. Reg., 87 ECM-w/Turbo Tweak chip, 87 MAF, MAT, 87 Coil/Ign. Module-Hotwired Adapter, K&N Cone Filter, Powerlogger, Scanmaster, Rebuilt Trans. with Trans Oil Cooler, Boost, Water Temp., Oil Press., Casper's Knock Gauge, 160 deg. Thermostat

Soooo you bought all these performance parts in your sig above just for the looks then?!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Yeah Right!!!!!!