Announcing Precision Turbo's Latest Billet TA Series turbochargers.

So the hot air cars are left out in the cold again...... can't you vendors just make one model that would work on our cars so we can take advantage of the new tech? you don't have to make a whole line, we're not greedy, just one housing so we can use the new wheels, we got money, we didn't have to pay alot of money for an ic car so we got extra cash, just no parts, or should I say no NEW parts , again. another fantasical turbo rollout for the IC cars. :(

Can a moderator move this post off to new products request? I'm not sure complaining about product availability is going to motivate a vendor to help you out.

Sure a mod can move this post to there, I'm fine with that, the whole point was so a vender would see the complaint, if they made a cutting edge turbo for hot air cars, hot air owners would scoop them up, cause we don't have any other options that retain the stock look of our cars (much less bolt up) except ta33, and that leaves us out in the cold for all the new advances in wheels and flow design. when given the choice of bolt on power or converting to the ic set up, I as I'm sure many others would like to just bolt on a shiny new turbo. Look at it another way, how upset would the ic car owners be if they didn't have any new turbos, and were told if they want to use the new tech they would have to convert their cars to hot air, and then see year after year see new turbos for hot air cars, how long do you think it would take them to start hollering everywhere they could? And the worst part is its not the ic guys fault, its the vendors not supplying a portion of the market cause they don't think that its a big enough market for them to justify the R&D, tooling , and manufacturing process and make any profit, we all know this is the reason hot airs don't get new parts.

Heck, the 83/82 carborated cars don't have any stock replacement/upgrade options that i know about other than the option to fabricate, building hybrid turbos and those turbos are not the newest tech either, thats gotta make some of them very unhappy with the vendors. I don't wanna paint some picture that hot airs don't like the vendors, I was just at kirbins open house today and core'd a turbo and bought various items supporting the vendors, its just very frustrating cause this didn't start happening last month, its been this way for quite some time, and it just doesn't make sense cause I see hot air guys fabricating and converting and you know that isn't cheap, and to hear vendors say that they would make a part but theres not enough demand from the hot air guys for them to make money, thats just not right, if there was no demand from hot air guys for go fast parts why are so many fabricating and converting to ic so they can buy some go fast parts and go fast?? :eek:

I will now step down from my soapbox. Let the flaming begin......I figure I probably just ruffled a few feathers.

Please - let's not make this into a flame thread.

I (hoping to speak for most of us) understand why you want a new turbo, but don't understand why you would choose to bash a vendor in doing so. Have you even upgraded to any of the latter turbos offer for the hot air cars? Sounds like you're sitting on a stock turbo. Offer Harry a blank check for a turbo and I'm sure he'll get it done for you.

Please - let's not make this into a flame thread.

I (hoping to speak for most of us) understand why you want a new turbo, but don't understand why you would choose to bash a vendor in doing so. Have you even upgraded to any of the latter turbos offer for the hot air cars? Sounds like you're sitting on a stock turbo. Offer Harry a blank check for a turbo and I'm sure he'll get it done for you.

1st, I'm not bashing, all I said was there are no new products for hot airs, and the vendors are not making new turbo products for hot airs, and it is upsetting that they don't choose to allow us to bolt on the new tech, I'm sure I could go to any of the vendors or even some locals I know of with a blank check and get what I want, but the point is, that I shouldn't have to do that, we shouldn't have to spend extreme amounts of money on frabricating a one off turbo when we could be supported by the turbo vendors , but it seems we must not be viable market for them to produce a turbo to let us run the newest wheels like the IC cars. Just because I posted this in this thread does not mean that I have singled out this vendor, as none of the turbo vendors seem to have an up to date product to support the hot air cars.

2nd I'm not interested in flaming or being flamed even though the latter is probably going to happen....maybe not....but anyway, Maybe this thead is not the ideal place to voice the plight of the hot air cars, but it so happened that I recieved my core turbo from a friend today and am planning to send it to Limit to have it converted to a TA33, that was the plan, then we see the announcement of some more new turbos , latest tech, newest wheels, for the ic cars and its kinda like salt on an open wound. Here I am getting ready to send this core in and have it ground out and upgraded to a wheel thats been in use for over 20 years, so you see, its not any particular vendor, and it is and was meant to tell not just this vendor but all of them that the hot air cars would like a shiny new bolt up too.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but by the same token, I'm not gonna stay quiet about it cause like I said in the earlier post, if the tables where turned and the IC cars were supported like the hot airs, I'm pretty sure most of the ic guys would have an issue with that.

And like I also said in the previous post mods can gladly move this to the new parts request thread, I have no problem with that, and would very much like to see a new turbo offered that lets the hot airs take advantage of all the inovations in turbo tech that we have missed out on. we don't need 4 new models, just one, would be a huge thing.

Bet if they did make a run of new turbos for hot airs they would sell out in minutes.

I'm probibly going to get flamed more than you will. I came up with a simple upgrade for the carb/turbo cars and tried to get some one other than those of us in the B4Black section interested. It uses the hot side off the 86-87 IC cars and it needs the up and down pipe to be made. If you want a bigger inducer then you need to modify a turbo off a 301 TTA to make a turbo that flows twice that of the stock one. It spools faster and improves performance. Fairly cheap to do and it should sell so my bud Aj has decided to open his own shop for the C/T and HA guys so both of our groups can get a little more out of them. I'd love to have a billet wheel and all the goodies but no one is willing to do the work so I'm looking into getting a CNC for myself so I can make them, or find someone willing to step up and make a prototype we can try.

Patrick, I do appreciate the tech you've provided but there's a large segment out there that isn't being served by your company or any other. Granted it's a nich group but it's still business. Please don't take it as a slam but constructive criticism and I hope you may be able to find some way to fill it.

:eek::cool:
If a thumbs down in your subject line isn't a bash, I don't know what is.

Peace out.

I think you're reading a little too much into an icon.

yep all I see is what they say with you mouse over them, and the thumbs down icon says "Thumbs down" not "Bash"

I'd continue this today but, I'm gonna got to the races, so I'm done with this for today, but in the mean time I'll refrain from using the icons till I better understand their hidden meanings.

Hey Patrick,
You put a rating on my Te45a of 700 hp. How would the 6265 compare? What would the disadvantages or advantages be? Keep in mind I already own the 45 and it is new. I love the inlet bell look, all my pipes and hoses would bolt right up.

Coach

Can I get a ported shroud with the E cover on a 5857 DBB?

I am absolutely no expert on turbos, but I believe with the bolt on inlet bell, there is shroud. I am guessing just from looking at the pics of the ported turbos.

Coach

Ported shroud stuff

At the Nationals, Patrick told me that with my current setup I need an E cover. When I go to the vendor websites, I don't see the ported shroud available with the E cover. Just want manufacturer confirmation before I place the order. This is my preference, if available.
Thanks.

At the Nationals, Patrick told me that with my current setup I need an E cover. When I go to the vendor websites, I don't see the ported shroud available with the E cover. Just want manufacturer confirmation before I place the order. This is my preference, if available.
Thanks.

More importantly if the shroud is not avaiable for 3 inch setup(looks like that's the case) will a 5857 surge like a 44/49 will at the 5-15 psi mid boost range?

1st, I'm not bashing, all I said was there are no new products for hot airs, and the vendors are not making new turbo products for hot airs, and it is upsetting that they don't choose to allow us to bolt on the new tech, I'm sure I could go to any of the vendors or even some locals I know of with a blank check and get what I want, but the point is, that I shouldn't have to do that, we shouldn't have to spend extreme amounts of money on frabricating a one off turbo when we could be supported by the turbo vendors , but it seems we must not be viable market for them to produce a turbo to let us run the newest wheels like the IC cars. Just because I posted this in this thread does not mean that I have singled out this vendor, as none of the turbo vendors seem to have an up to date product to support the hot air cars.

2nd I'm not interested in flaming or being flamed even though the latter is probably going to happen....maybe not....but anyway, Maybe this thead is not the ideal place to voice the plight of the hot air cars, but it so happened that I recieved my core turbo from a friend today and am planning to send it to Limit to have it converted to a TA33, that was the plan, then we see the announcement of some more new turbos , latest tech, newest wheels, for the ic cars and its kinda like salt on an open wound. Here I am getting ready to send this core in and have it ground out and upgraded to a wheel thats been in use for over 20 years, so you see, its not any particular vendor, and it is and was meant to tell not just this vendor but all of them that the hot air cars would like a shiny new bolt up too.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but by the same token, I'm not gonna stay quiet about it cause like I said in the earlier post, if the tables where turned and the IC cars were supported like the hot airs, I'm pretty sure most of the ic guys would have an issue with that.

And like I also said in the previous post mods can gladly move this to the new parts request thread, I have no problem with that, and would very much like to see a new turbo offered that lets the hot airs take advantage of all the inovations in turbo tech that we have missed out on. we don't need 4 new models, just one, would be a huge thing.

First off, I take no offense to your concerns and appreciate your opinion and honesty. I do think that your objections could have been said in a more appropriate forum, such as the New Product Request forum, vs blasting us in our new product announcement post. It just appears to me that your whole argument was meant to stir the pot and create all kinds of issues for not only us, but for other Turbo Buick vendors as well.

I think what some people fail to realize, is the fact that new turbo component parts availability for these cars, especially the '84/'85 applications, have dried up long ago from Garrett. The hurdles that we had to go through just to get the '86/'87 compressor covers was crazy. Not to mention the man hours it took to machine those covers for the new CEA compressor wheels. Then you add in the amount of time our engineer Dan, put into writing the programs to be able to machine them and you start to get a picture of just what it takes to be able to bring a product like this to market. Most people have no concept of just what it takes. You are right, it is a business decision as far as the amount of potential sales versus time vested, in a very small market. Especially when cores are not available.

Since 1987, this company has dedicated more time, money, testing, research and development into it's Buick turbos, than any other company out there. Not because of a huge demand, but more of a sense of loyalty. As some of you know, there are a few of us here that have a soft spot for the Turbo Buicks, but if we would not have diversified and continued to develop our product line into other applications, we would have closed the doors a long time ago. No one could have ever known 24 years ago, the continued following and support that these cars have, and continue to have today. However, one thing I've learned a long time ago is,
You can not please everyone, all of the time.

With regards to the Hot Air questions and concerns that have been brought up, Harry wanted me to propose this one question to you.
"How much extra would you be willing to pay, to have this new CEA technology put into a stock replacement '84/'85 turbo?"

I hope you can see from my stand point, that this post was merely meant to announce our latest turbo line up featuring out CEA technology. Not meant to upset the apple cart of any '84/'85 owners.
Thank you for your continued support and business.
We greatly appreciate it.

Patrick

P.S. With regards to the question about whether or not a ported shroud is available on an E cover? The ported shroud option is only available on the S cover and H cover. It is not available on the E cover.
HTH

With regards to the Hot Air questions and concerns that have been brought up, Harry wanted me to propose this one question to you.
"How much extra would you be willing to pay, to have this new CEA technology put into a stock replacement '84/'85 turbo?"

HTH

I understand you and your company's position, and appreciate your response. I can't speak for other people when it comes to how much they are willing to pay, but I can tell you that I have seen in general for parts that have to be fab'd for hot air application there seems to be about a 25% difference in the price compared to the same type part for an IC car. for example the custom hot air pipe from gbody goes for about 575, 3 inch pipe, whats a 3 in down for an ic car? about 425? anyway if I sent this core I have sitting on my bench out and had someone machine it out and change it to a ta33 I would probably be lookin at about 550 - 600 for a price , so my comfort zone would be to stay under 1000 bucks, but I am flexible on the price depending on how the turbo would preform, like I said before I can't speak for anyone else when it comes to opening their wallet, but I can say that if you figured out an upgrade option that would allow us to run the new tech in our old housings I feel strongly that it would be in your favor to present the idea in the hot air forum and let the other people tell you where they're willing to go with this idea. I think you might be surprised at the level of response.

More importantly if the shroud is not avaiable for 3 inch setup(looks like that's the case) will a 5857 surge like a 44/49 will at the 5-15 psi mid boost range?

Patrick,any input on the surge question?

Wow, nice to see the old meets the new, and damn would a TA62-65 be a sleeper.

To step in for the meantime, you're going to surge with the TA cover and that turbo, it's not very cut and dry either. First off, the cover alone is a culprit, which is why the SP cover (shroud/ported) exists, to help alleviate this issue.

The Tornado kills the surge with the TA cover, I've been rocking it for years since Bruce Plecan figured it out for us. So no worries with the TA cover and surging if you have $50 (they used to be way cheaper).
TORNADO AIR MANAGEMENT KI-75 MORE POWER & MPG's "NEW" : eBay Motors (item 160400339476 end time Jun-01-10 00:08:53 PDT)