...and then there was GNX #548

.....attached is a 'before' pic

Attachments

• GNX2.jpg
    GNX2.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 1,216
As the GNXs continue to rise in value, I have no doubt that authenticating a "real" car and what constitutes a "real" car will become more and more difficult. Cars that were wrecked and/or abandoned years ago will be "resurrected" or cloned. Just look at how many cloned Hemi Cudas, '69 z28 Camaros, and GTO Judge RA IV cars are out there now. Technology has enabled dishonest sellers to create very authentic paperwork and VINs that probably could fool all but the most astute collectors. Would a formerlly wrecked GNX that was rebodied with a GN, or even a regular Regal tub still be considered a "real" car?

Although I am dubious of the documented existence of GNX 548, it is not my intent to infer that the car listed here isn't genuine nor am I out to insult the OP. I just feel that this car raises some considerations in the greater scheme of things.

Do all GNXs have the "GNX" on the firewall/cowl tag? If so, were the cars designated for the ASC conversion before being built? I guess I was under the impression they were pulled off the lot at random. I pulled this pic off the car listed on ebay.

gnxcowl.jpg

Mines a fully registered replica,Not going to try pulling the whool over anyones eyes, but was a original 87 GN to start off with. Had a shop CNC machine my badge.

10-29-12 (2).JPG

HelloBozos said:
Mines a fully registered replica,Not going to try pulling the whool over anyones eyes, but was a original 87 GN to start off with. Had a shop CNC machine my badge.

Registered with who? Looks like you both will be fighting over who the real 548 is...

I will try to clear this up a little or a lot depending on your individual opinions.
The short story behind this vehicle is that it started life as an 85 grand national. The original owner is a gentleman named Ray that worked at McLaren which partnered with ASC to build the GNX.
McLaren worked with GM on updating the location of the Grand National turbo for the new 86-87, along with introducing the intercooler among other things.
Ray updated the vehicle he owned with all the correct wiring and engine modifications to convert to the new 87 drive train.
He was the counterpart that worked with me to show the assembly line workers how to install the new GNX turbo, transmission modifications, rear suspension conversions and he ran the chassis dyno to check the vehicles when finished.
Ray put his car down the assembly line one night and converted it to a GNX and then drove it for several years before selling it. It has been owned by a few people but I do not know the full path of transactions yet we know who owns it now.

so that would make it a clone or reproduction, IE. never was a authentic GNX.
possibly a test mule, or prototype.
still a valuable piece of history.

Registered with who? Looks like you both will be fighting over who the real 548 is...

My insurance company...(Just as a replica GNX,they don't care about a Dash Number ) Mine's no were neer a Real ASC worked on GNX. i'm pure looks only. Thought it's cheaper to build one then buy one...

Opppss.......Un-True...Heh

Ray,
Let me get this straight. The guy actually put his own used car down the line and converted it to GNX? Classic!!!

So the car is titled as an 85 I am guessing? Pretty cool story regardless... Keep us posted on the progress!