Analog Cluster Removal - Tach/Boost Cable Connector Location??

OvaBoost

Quick Brick
So I am removing the analog cluster from my 87 GN, but am stuck.

I've removed the VSS and the speedometer cables from the back of the cluster. Radio is out also. It's the wires that operate the Tach/Boost gauge that are giving me a problem. I'm not sure where the connector is behind the dash. Need to know where it's located and best location to try and access it from (under driver dash or through radio).

A picture would be best; I'm not that smart. :confused:

Thanks,
Bill

I removed the VSS from the back of the cluster. The picture is inside the radio compartment toward the cluster.

Is the green plastic the VSS and the other end of the connector? Is the connector for the Tach/Boost gauge behind it?

ElecticalConnections-Radio.jpg

the connector is directly behind the tach/boost gauge, you can barely get to it from the bottom because its way up in there (looking from the bottom). I had to unplug mine with my fingertips. Once its out once you can reroute it better.

Bob

I had better luck with mine thru the radio opening. The connector is very hard to disconnect. I had to use a screwdriver to pry it apart. Cable off the speedo unit is about 12" long, with a wide, flat, 8 wire clear connector.

Thanks John. Could it be the clear connector I see in the pic above just beyond the VSS where it is wrapped with the black electrical tape (upper-left corner of photo).

Thanks,
Bill

Sorry, hard to tell from the picture. It runs behind the black plastic frame the speedo mounts on, and is in with all the other wires above and to the left of the radio opening. I just moved the wires at the speedo end, and felt around the wire bundles thru the radio opening until I found the connector, then pulled the connector toward the radio opening to get access to it.