Speedometer Jumping with the AVC Brand GNX Style Cluster - Advice Pls.

MCF87GN

Good morning everyone.

The speedometer in my 1987 GN had stopped. I have done some work with the speedo cable and the speedometer is now jumping yet my Scanmaster is rock solid. I am just wondering how I install a new upper speedo cable to the gauge as I can see that it is rounded a bit on the ends. I have the cluster loose however there is no play in it and I cannot get to the back of the speedometer. The cluster was installed in my car before I purchased it. I love it but want all gauge fully functional. Any advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated as to how I can access the back of the cluster for the installation of a new upper speedo cable.

Also, hearing the new speedo cables are one piece and not two. How does this work given it comes from the VSS box under the hood to the speedometer? Is there other wiring that I need to change/update?

Thanks very much in advance.

Darren

Last edited:
You probably just need to lube the cable at the speedometer with the graphite stuff. Pop the hood and you will see where the cable enters through the firewall. Push the cable in and that will buy you some space to pull the dash out. You might need a pliers to unscrew the cable. When you reinstall the cable just make it finger tight so you can remove it easily next time. Removing my avc dash is a common occurance, to replace bulbs, gauges, etc.

A "quality" piece?
Hey, it came with the car! I recently installed a brighter bulb for the VDO speedometer. Bulb worked fine but odometer quit working. A few months later the red pointer came dislodged so I sent it out for repair. They fixed the pointer and said the bulb melted the plastic gears. So they fixed that too. Now I installed an led bulb that is brighter and hopefully gives off less heat.

Thanks for the reply. For my understanding, are you using the two piece speedo cable or the one piece?

Thanks.

Darren