AMS1000 operation for dummies

Thanks guy´s :)

Its ok, was out testing today got bouth the intake boost AND the VG target psi on the XFI logg and with some minor tweekings at launch and stage 1-2-3 I almost got the frontwheels airborne ON THE STREET :D

Don, U made me see some parts that I already read in the manual, but I did´nt fully anderstood.

Its started to clear, now soon I gona see the light too :D

Thanks again, Anders

Thanks guy´s :)

Its ok, was out testing today got bouth the intake boost AND the VG target psi on the XFI logg and with some minor tweekings at launch and stage 1-2-3 I almost got the frontwheels airborne ON THE STREET :D

Don, U made me see some parts that I already read in the manual, but I did´nt fully anderstood.

Its started to clear, now soon I gona see the light too :D

Thanks again, Anders

Anders
If you can, when you get you're setup dialed in, maybe you can share your settings to help others get a good idea of what you had to do to make your deal work the way you wanted.

Don,

The first and foremost biggest problem was the delay built in to the transbreak.. this delay (0.4 - 0.5 sec) was the true fault to the "rippin tires" at start.

I had the 2 first stages within these 0.5 sec so the car started to move when into stage 3 and lots of boost..then up to stage 4 and more boost :)

So a tip is to check out if car moves the same instant U start the AMS time program..

We do fine with a 8 psi spring in the VG now..

next race we try to athent is in 2 weeks, I get back.

I completed the install of the aux system for control of the blow off valve. Next is to tune in the bov spring pressure to get the right amount of valve opening. I have another SSI 60 psi sensor on the bov.

I was playing around with the system a little and noticed that the rise is not as instant as I thought it would be with the rise rate setting at zero. I'm wondering if it's because of the 1/8" feed lines I'm using or if the solenoids have any built in restriction to afford some control over how instant the rise and fall actually is when the valves are wide open. A quick determination is I'm getting about a 44 psi pressure rise per second. What are the rest of you seeing as the quickest rise rate attainable from the system?
The rise and fall rates appear to be identical, so I have to assume solenoid valve restriction is governing maximum rise and fall rate for the system, regardless of the size of feed lines.

I completed the install of the aux system for control of the blow off valve. Next is to tune in the bov spring pressure to get the right amount of valve opening. I have another SSI 60 psi sensor on the bov.

I was playing around with the system a little and noticed that the rise is not as instant as I thought it would be with the rise rate setting at zero. I'm wondering if it's because of the 1/8" feed lines I'm using or if the solenoids have any built in restriction to afford some control over how instant the rise and fall actually is when the valves are wide open. A quick determination is I'm getting about a 44 psi pressure rise per second. What are the rest of you seeing as the quickest rise rate attainable from the system?
The rise and fall rates appear to be identical, so I have to assume solenoid valve restriction is governing maximum rise and fall rate for the system, regardless of the size of feed lines.

It's a non issue IMO. You'll never need to raise the pressure that quickly at the track. 44psi per second is much faster than the turbo system will ever respond.

It's a non issue IMO. You'll never need to raise the pressure that quickly at the track. 44psi per second is much faster than the turbo system will ever respond.

But if you're looking to slap a BOV open and shut as quickly as possible, the maximum ramp speed does figure in. I was just wondering if I was losing anything with the smaller feed lines.

With the adjuster screw all the way in on a Godzilla BOV, and the control pressure regulated to 40 psi, the valve opens half way. The ramp speed is quicker than I first stated. It will do the job.

But if you're looking to slap a BOV open and shut as quickly as possible, the maximum ramp speed does figure in. I was just wondering if I was losing anything with the smaller feed lines.

If I were looking to slap a valve open and closed, I wouldn't use an AMS control valve to do it with. I'd use a regular open/shut solenoid valve and switch. I don't think the line size is the issue.

If your looking to relieve pressure I can see where the response time would be a concern. In this case I'd want a high flowing solenoid valve. If your looking to close a BOV to increase boost, 44psi per second is plenty fast enough.

Dusty has a very good point Donnie. The solinoid wold give you a much faster response over a normal BOV.

If I were looking to slap a valve open and closed, I wouldn't use an AMS control valve to do it with. I'd use a regular open/shut solenoid valve and switch. I don't think the line size is the issue.

If your looking to relieve pressure I can see where the response time would be a concern. In this case I'd want a high flowing solenoid valve. If your looking to close a BOV to increase boost, 44psi per second is plenty fast enough.
I agree with you on all points. Since the aux channel was already there looking for something to control, it was easier to just hook that up to control the BOV rather than searching for other components to control the BOV like you mentioned.

The way I initially had it setup, I was looking for the BOV to go open on the release of the transbrake button (start of stage 1) and then start closing by the time the transbrake actually released. That's about .9x seconds. The datalog trace showed the pressure on the aux channel rise to a high of 42, then immediately turn direction and drop to zero by the .9x second mark. The rise and fall was such that the datalog trace looked like a sharp tee pee. Actually, that would probably suffice for what I'm trying to do. Shutting the BOV by the .9x mark is most likely too early to close the valve, but it's a starting point.
I later setup the launch setting on the aux channel so that as soon as I pressed the transbrake button the pressure was rising and holding at 42 psi. That way, on the release of the transbrake button, the valve is already wide open and is just waiting to time-out, whatever amount of programmed time, to close.

Did some T&T last Friday night and have some info to share.

My wastegate has a spring package in it that will yield 22 psi boost using manifold pressure as the control pressure.

Using the AMS1000 and CO2, I set up the controller to ramp from a launch control pressure target of 8 psi to 30 psi in 2.5 seconds from release of the transbrake button (first amber).

I forgot to switch the spring package in the wastegate to a lighter package. Actually, I really didn't think I would need to. After all, it's a 224 cid engine trying to spool a 91mm with a T6 turbine housing. Was the boost controller really going to be necessary during the first 3 seconds of the run?

My ecm datalog feature only records up to 314 kPa.

Results:
By the 1-2 shift, boost had reached 269 kPa. Too much. :eek: Tires proceeded to smokith.

The max boost, registered on the ECM internal datalog for the run was a flatline, pegged 314 kPa with absolutely no bouncing of the reading. So most likely, the boost was above 31 psi.

I had an in-car video camera recording the mechanical gauges, but the picture got a little blurry above about 25 psi. The mechanical gauge pegs at 35 psi.

The next pass I lowered the control pressure target to 25 psi. Still too much.

I could lower the control pressure further, but I think the controller will have better control using a lighter spring package with more control pressure, rather than a heavy spring package with a light control pressure target.

Now that you've had time to analize you data I think you've found out what happend. 314 kpa is what, about 36psi?

Now that you've had time to analize you data I think you've found out what happend. 314 kpa is what, about 36psi?

31 psi. But this is a pegged reading. The ECM doesn't record anything higher than 314 kPa. After studying the the mechanical gauge in the video more, we think the boost did get to at least 32 psi. The slight leaning of the mixture after 280 kPa was an insight into how much more fuel we'll need for the 35 psi mark.

I'm changing out the wastegate spring package to a 8.5 to 14 psi range.
I'll keep the controller set as it is with a max of 22 psi control pressure with a 2.5 second ramp up starting at 8 psi.

Ok time for a lithe race report then..

Friday was´nt fun at all..

All systems say´s GO, just wheather aint workin with us YET.
IMGP0961.jpg

The track prepping people does all they can to make this race happen.

IMGP0962.jpg

This day (saturday) promised good wheather and it realy was, sunny and not to hot, good air and a realy prepped track, tracktion was more than good, as to the first 2 hours was filled with som minor oilspill due to cracked rearends and som SAAB transmission the delay in runtime is frustrating..

Time for first run we (as proven on the street test´s) was afraid to break loos the tires so we did go conservative on launch boost 8 psi, Sy hooks to good (in reality no power) and feels and seems lame out of the hole then the map sensor fuked up and boost was gone?? we managed a 9,2@ 155 Mph.

What the F/&#"%(/%CK happened?? short of "fixi´n time" we had to line up again almost direktly, never found the bug, just got on to next round and not werry much time to reset launchboost but we opted for some more psi 9

Run 2 was as the first lame in the "hole" picked up some time but someting did´nt feel rigt so Robert hesitated some, and right he was, the left front drive axle had jumped out of place ruined the seal.
Still a new 9,2@155Mph

Whell this time we was prepared som up on jackstands and under he went and we managed (Robert then) to change the seal and axle and on the line again, this time with some "luck" (Track timer broke down due elektikal powerline trouble so we could only run one lane) this gave us time to do some more fiddling on the boost settings

Third run better out of hole (still only 1,58 at 60 foot) and the Sy seemd a lithle powerless out on track, but a 9,0@156Mph something starts to cooking yeahh

This was the last run for the day so we started to get ready to go home, when track officials told us everyboddy would get one more lap NOW, before the NOIS PERMISSION runs out (about 30 minutes left of tracktime) so out on line again with no proper time to adjust annything AGAIN..

4 run of the day and we did some more "desperat" launch boost fiddling and NOW it did wake up this was what we wanted to see on friday that rained away..

This run was more that we aimed for with a 1,48 60 foot a 5,8@126Mph 1/8 but a lithle powerless 9.0@156Mph again, end of story..

The day was a succes despite no record time,

A Danish EVO was here to "run down" Robert a 2000LBS 1000Hp real race car with carbon fiber on every inc on the body that was possible, Realy nice and friendly chapp BUT was out for Roberts "hair", Robert left im in a pile of dust, a 9,4 was his best..

And Robert won his class AGAIN..

We have learned alot about some parts (one is dont go cheap on MAP, U get what u pay for) and the wing IS ON FOR EVER truck is sooo stable and runs straight as an arrow, and behaves realy good
We´ve also learned to stop tuning at the street because, when the output on power is TOOOO much for the streets... its a lame horse on a good track

Robert is cutting up a video to "hit" the forum soon.

And sad as it is we might have only one more chance to run this season, its almost over here now

Some films from the event..
YouTube - Syclone AWD 9.04/156 mph

YouTube - Bilsport Action Meet 2009 Syclone-Robban 9,29/248 @ 402 m + 9,04/249,61

YouTube - Bilsport Action Meet 09 - Syclonerobban kör 9.04

And a rare svwedish sportscar.A Koenigsegg CCR Evolution,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU2F....se/news.php?id=71014&feature=player_embedded

The Danish "contender" :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-KEYIzBxTw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OmT...fran-action-meet.html&feature=player_embedded

Last years "contender" with his all japanese built skyliner (last year he had a japanese pro driver and no cigarr) Now he´s driving himself and fast but not enough..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SZC...fran-action-meet.html&feature=player_embedded
one more with inside pics too, realy nice one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfR2nSApYEE