ams boost controller issuse?

Under Pressure

HI
this thing will not regulate boost, i went through all the wiring and vac hoses all is good .I tried to config it sevral times, and set boost on 1st stage with different levels still climbs like mad. Any ideas? thanks

the AMS units do not regulate boost. They simply control the offset pressure to the top side of the wastegate diaphragm.

Describe how your car is set up.

Bob

The spring in your gate is what controls how low the boost will go. With your vacuum line from the compressor of the turbo hooked straight to the bottom port on your gate and the top port completely unhooked (AMS bypassed), how low does it go?
Also, are you sure the gate is not stuck?

Like Mr Wilson said. you need to verify that the wastegate is working properly. The wastegate itself is what regulates the boost. Not the AMS.

To verify the wastagete is working, connect as Robert mentioned:

1 hose from the turbo boost fitting to the port on the side of the wastegate.
leave the other port open, do not plug it. This will run the wastegate at its base setting. See if your boost is controlled, it will most likely be 12-15 pounds.

If your boost is not controlled, then there is something wrong with the mechanical components of the wastagate and this needs to be fixed before using something like the AMS.

What turbo are you running?

Bob

The spring in your gate is what controls how low the boost will go. With your vacuum line from the compressor of the turbo hooked straight to the bottom port on your gate and the top port completely unhooked (AMS bypassed), how low does it go?
Also, are you sure the gate is not stuck?
The gate is not stuck, w/ the spring that was given and the ams bypassed it goes up to 10lbs. of boost. That is fine, we talked to Sabastian @ ams and he said to turn the first stage down to 1 and go from there. We did so and now it has 21lbs of boost w/ creep to 23-24, now what?!!!

you may have a bad solenoid or a pneumatic issue.

Make sure your solenoids are not reversed.

Can you take a picture of the installation?

What the AMS does when you set it to 1 psi, is control an offset pressure of 1 psi to the top port of the gate, this raises its control point 1 psi over the base pressure (of 10 psi). If you were to put a pressure gauge on the top port of the wastegate you should see 1 psi.

Bob

The gate is not stuck, w/ the spring that was given and the ams bypassed it goes up to 10lbs. of boost. That is fine, we talked to Sabastian @ ams and he said to turn the first stage down to 1 and go from there. We did so and now it has 21lbs of boost w/ creep to 23-24, now what?!!!

As Bob said, you may have a bad solenoid but I also would like to see a picture of the installation.
Also, what is stage 2 set on and what are you using to trigger stages 1 and 2?

I wonder if your ground wire going to the increased solenoid is chafed and grounded against something. This would cause the increase solenoid to be on all the time. 12 volt power is fed to both solenoids and the AMS triggers the ground to each individual solenoid in order to control boost.

Turn the power to the AMS off and then check for continuity to the ground wire of the solenoid. With the AMS off these ground wires should not be grounded.

the switches arent the boost settings yes i found that out today after i talked to Subastion 1 -10 is the target psi not boost .so i set it to the switch to 5 and it was 25 psi of boost.The low the target the lower the boost correct? right now its at 1 @22 psi boost , a lower spring rate (10 psi now) lower the boost if the target stays the same correct?

I will try to take pics today, I hope you guys can give me some good news. It now has bad lag with just putting it @ 2lbs. when I had the boost set to 23lbs. that "F"ING turbo had no lag and I started going up lb. by lb. I am up to 6lbs. the boost has went down steady to 21lbs. w/ no creep either, I am happy about the creep but the rest I can't understand...

I will try to take pics today, I hope you guys can give me some good news. It now has bad lag with just putting it @ 2lbs. when I had the boost set to 23lbs. that "F"ING turbo had no lag and I started going up lb. by lb. I am up to 6lbs. the boost has went down steady to 21lbs. w/ no creep either, I am happy about the creep but the rest I can't understand...

Does the AMS 500 have rate?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Is the wastegate hole in the turbo housing ported ?
From what I'm reading some of these newer turbos (billet) are pushing so much air that the wastegate hole is not enough to stop boost rise even when open.