amluminum hoods ?

what year?

97-current F-150 hoods.
same for expeditions
mustangs are like 2004-current might be older ones but not 100% sure..
Chevy Suburbans/Tahoes Liftgates are 2000 up models, always see them corrosing around the rear wiper arm hole, and the handle bezel..

we like them for scrap, when the prices are up you can get like $20 A hood scrappin em.. only steel part are the nutserts for the bolts, otherwise 100% aluminum $$$$

I'm gonna check w/ my buddy again about the turbo aluminum hood. Could have swore he said he had one, or used it on a stock car and regretted it, it may have been just a regular regal hood... (he races and goes through these cars alot) I will get back to you guys :)

hood on my olds is hard as hell and opens and closes with hinges .not one dent in mine from polishing . But my hurst is a factory light weight ..[ no power options ] only air . No cruise ,no power windows , no power seat , it was ordered new for the chitwood stunt show .. And i love it like my wife and kids

The above post said something about NASCAR use. I know the hoods and fenders used for real lightweight cars in the 60's were thin. If yours is heavy enough to withstand regular use, cant be much weight savings. GM did some of the stupidest stuff known to man on certain projects. The only REAL aluminum lightweight car they ever made was the 63 Z-11 with the stroked 409. It had really lightweight doors, hood, bumpers, and brackets.

:biggrin:

If they were available along with doors, fenders, etc, It would be a great way to drop some weight without looking like a plastic car.

I had one on a car I sold a few years ago. The owner is still nearby but doesnt get on the boards. Just because some of you have not seen one or don't think they would be the best idea does not mean they dont exist. It has a slightly shorter bulge than a stock steel hood and had to be closed a certain way(two hands) if you used regular hood shocks. This has been a tread topic before....search.

A guy came over to look at my car and brought a refriberator magnet and it did not stick to the top of the hood. it sticks to the under braces ?

I do not know what this means

A guy came over to look at my car and brought a refriberator magnet and it did not stick to the top of the hood. it sticks to the under braces ?

I do not know what this means

One of 2 things...either its aluminum or full of body-putty:eek: LOL

Pontiac SSEi's used an alumium hood. It was pretty stiff but they had an issue with the prep of the metal. Where the crimp was along the front of the hood they would corrode and cause blistering. V8Killer has an Olds Gbody hood in his storage bin. It's pretty strong too. Too bad they didn't fit the Buicks.

I had one on a car I sold a few years ago. The owner is still nearby but doesnt get on the boards. Just because some of you have not seen one or don't think they would be the best idea does not mean they dont exist. It has a slightly shorter bulge than a stock steel hood and had to be closed a certain way(two hands) if you used regular hood shocks. This has been a tread topic before....search.

Hard to believe it to be '84-87 factory production as most of us would know about it by now...

Hard to believe it to be '84-87 factory production as most of us would know about it by now...

I had my parts guy call Haggerty buick today just to verify. There is no option for a gn hood from Gm made in aluminum. I told him he was wrong. He called me back and told me again they never made one. He checked their microfiche also. He said if they dont show the option code (rpo) in their computer it was not available. He said if the the car had an aluminum hood it did not come from the factory. He even looked it up for a gnx but he said they were vin specific .he looked up one that they had a vin on file for and the part number was the same as a gn.no option for aluminum either. My parts guy said the guy was getting pissed so he gave up. Maybe I will have him call again:biggrin:. Thats right from Buick

Yep

Yep.yep .did that search inclued 78-79 also .. So we can put this to sleep .. Only olds did it from the factory

Yep.yep .did that search inclued 78-79 also .. So we can put this to sleep .. Only olds did it from the factory

He did tell my parts guy about olds cutlass having aluminum hoods. The guy said worked for Hejhal olds back in the day. I thought it was funny when he said that olds dealers name . I grew up five houses away from there.

I've seen a few Buicks with the aluminum hoods, pre 1984 though, the quickest spoting is to look at the hood shocks, if you only see one, that's an alloy unit.

Kevin.

Well if you go to GNTTYPE.org and look in the resources section, there's an area that talks about hoods. The hoods for 78-80 won't fit right on a 81-87 and the bulge is a different shape. The author of the article claims to have seen an 81-87 hood that had the 78-80 style bulge on it. So technically anything's possible, but even if there is a factory aluminum hood that fits sfi cars, it was probably transplanted from some earlier oddball car. Did any 81-83 regals get anything unusual like diesel engines or maybe export specifications?

I'll always admit the possibility I guess. I've been on the other side of the fence in one of these arguments before. There are people that swear to god that 200-4rs were never cast with BOP only bellhousings. Well I have one and I posted pics of it on a different board. People still thought I was nuts or that I confused it with something else, even though I worked in a transmission shop at the time. There's other controversial transmission issues too, like BOP 700-R4s or BOP powerglides (neither of which are out there) but like I said earlier in the thread: Pics will convert most of us. :)

Also if "I" owned one I damn sure wouldn't let go of it. Even if I had to replace one on a car to keep the aluminum one. Why? Maybe just to prove to others they existed.

Attachments

• 464932569_xb2zA-O.jpg
    464932569_xb2zA-O.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 212
Seen quite a few BOP only 200-4R cases but never a Chevy only, likewise, never even heard of 700-R4 other than Chevy or FWD bolt pattern, now a BOP powerglide gets mislabled, it's actually a "Super Turbine 300" 2 speed, very little in common with actual powerglides.

Kevin.

Well if you go to GNTTYPE.org and look in the resources section, there's an area that talks about hoods. The hoods for 78-80 won't fit right on a 81-87 and the bulge is a different shape. The author of the article claims to have seen an 81-87 hood that had the 78-80 style bulge on it. So technically anything's possible, but even if there is a factory aluminum hood that fits sfi cars, it was probably transplanted from some earlier oddball car. Did any 81-83 regals get anything unusual like diesel engines or maybe export specifications?

I'll always admit the possibility I guess. I've been on the other side of the fence in one of these arguments before. There are people that swear to god that 200-4rs were never cast with BOP only bellhousings. Well I have one and I posted pics of it on a different board. People still thought I was nuts or that I confused it with something else, even though I worked in a transmission shop at the time. There's other controversial transmission issues too, like BOP 700-R4s or BOP powerglides (neither of which are out there) but like I said earlier in the thread: Pics will convert most of us. :)

Bob, I have been keeping an eye on this thread because it is interesting, so when I saw you posted I figured you had pics of one stashed away in your garage. We all know you are a pick-a-part hound dog for the good stuff. :biggrin:

If they were available along with doors, fenders, etc, It would be a great way to drop some weight without looking like a plastic car.

Hmmm... If we only knew a guy who was good with aluminum and fabrication... ;)

We going to see aluminum hoods, doors, and decklids on ALRADCO.com anytime soon? :biggrin:

Where in my post did I say it was factory? I'm going to see if I can get him to come to the Midwest meet with the car. That's about all I can do to prove it. Like I said. You could tell it was aluminum because it was much lighter that a stock hood, and new hood shocks for a Gn were too strong and made it tricky to close. I guess I should have had Bison verify it so it would be taken as the Gospel.

Unless your a real parts hound,and had seen or found one, you could have one on your car and NEVER know it. How many guys would go and stick a magnet on their cars hood? Im just saying that unless you "heard" it from someone...you might never know. Im not saying they are plentiful or even exsist, but my point is this...most guys who just wash and wax their cars and never had to do paint work or remove their hoods would NEVER, EVER KNOW. I am not a big believer in a factory hood for one reason...GM couldnt get paint to stick to the stirring stick , let alone an aluminum hood. Aluminum was tricky to paint. The factory lightweight cars from Ford and Mopar needed a special primer. Todays paint systems are better, but when the Govt was trying to eliminate lead from the paint, right around the time our cars were being built, it would have made it very difficult to get to stick. GM has had major issues with factory paint ever since. Not saying I am correct, at all, but that is my thought on the subject. I deal with GM on a daily basis and have for almost 20 years. You hear most of their shortcomings thru the grapevine thru their project managers, as in what worked and what didnt.
I think we are beating a dead horse here.