amluminum hoods ?

86gn01ls1

was wondering if all gns had aluminum hoods ?

if so how can you tell ?

Thanks for the help

I think

was wondering if all gns had aluminum hoods ?

If so how can you tell ?

Thanks for the help

only g-body oldsmobiles had alum hoods my 79 hurst has one .i think they only did this in 78-79 but could be wrong ..

I heard there were like 50 or so aluminum gn hoods around too..Ive never seen one tho...

how would you tell aluminum from steel ?

use a magnet ?

but I think the hood frame would be steel

Thanks

I wonder if maybe the 79 or yrs close to that had it.Pilot cars maybe ?

Just curious, why do you ask do you have 1 or know someone with a tr with an aluminum hood.

I'd be shocked if there was one out there for the later cars. Heard rumor of them being out there for the earlier (78-80) carb turbo regals but never been around one. Those hoods are different than an 81-87 style.

Pics or it didn't happen :)

They used them on Nascars:biggrin: A couple years back this question was going around so I asked my buddy at buick and he said there was one part number for a gn hood.

I 've seen

i'd be shocked if there was one out there for the later cars. Heard rumor of them being out there for the earlier (78-80) carb turbo regals but never been around one. Those hoods are different than an 81-87 style.

Pics or it didn't happen :)

many on olds calais .but never on a buick even the early ones. Both of the 78 turbo regals i had had a steel hood and i've looked at shows and havent seen one. So like he said . Pic's or didnt happen .. Anybody seen one?

Bigfoot and Elvis stole my Aluminum hood ... Pissed me off. :wink: none on the later cars for sure.

You wouldnt want an aluminum hood if you could get one. My Max Wedge car had the option of aluminum parts and after talking with a few guys who have the "lightweight" cars...they suck. You can dent it just polishing it. Racecar only parts. Even with a steel frame, it still would be easy to dent. Plus any aluminum hood would be a lift off...shutting would distort it and mounting on hinges would stress it. If GN's NASCARS had them, they wouldnt fit our production cars anyway.

:biggrin:

The

you wouldnt want an aluminum hood if you could get one. My max wedge car had the option of aluminum parts and after talking with a few guys who have the "lightweight" cars...they suck. You can dent it just polishing it. Racecar only parts. Even with a steel frame, it still would be easy to dent. Plus any aluminum hood would be a lift off...shutting would distort it and mounting on hinges would stress it. If gn's nascars had them, they wouldnt fit our production cars anyway.

:biggrin:

hood on my olds is hard as hell and opens and closes with hinges .not one dent in mine from polishing . But my hurst is a factory light weight ..[ no power options ] only air . No cruise ,no power windows , no power seat , it was ordered new for the chitwood stunt show .. And i love it like my wife and kids

They exist, my G-Body buddy down the road has a Turbo Aluminum hood...

Many automakes use aluminum hoods now to save weight. Ford is very popular w/ that. F-150's, Expeditions, Mustangs, Expedition Liftgates. Chevy Suburban/Tahoe Liftagates.

Light yes, hard to repair, and are prone to corrosion. not cool....

They exist, my G-Body buddy down the road has a Turbo Aluminum hood...

Many automakes use aluminum hoods now to save weight. Ford is very popular w/ that. F-150's, Expeditions, Mustangs, Expedition Liftgates. Chevy Suburban/Tahoe Liftagates.

Light yes, hard to repair, and are prone to corrosion. not cool....

what year?