Am I asking too much???

Rogue Leader

Eat my valvestem caps!!!!
I dont get it... what am I doing wrong???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2422025496&category=6427

thats my TTA Im trying to sell. I figure $10,500 is more than fair considering I paid $11,200 2 years ago (and that was considered a good deal at the time) only put on 4,000 miles, and spent over $4000 fixing it up. yeah it isnt mint but it is a documented 30k mile car, and drivetrain wise its perfect. Im also completely honest unlike some sellers.

I cant get any good bites on this car... heck only 1 person even came to see it!! I need to sell it soon, but I also dont wanna give away my shirt and take a banging cause Im in a rush... But ven then the right buyer doesnt look nearly in site! This is worse than my lovelife!

any tips?

Damn. TTA's are rarer, BETTER, and cost a lot more new than a GN. I got rid of both my GN's because I liked my TTA better. Some day I'll get a GN for a work car / beater.

Jason

TTAs have never been good sellers from day one (1989) .. I run across super deals on them.. (low milage cars) ... IF ya can find someone who is interested AND has $$$$ then ya can sell'm... good luck!!

Nice car. Wish I had the extra cash to buy it.

Thanx... everyone always crowds around it anywhere I go (car shows especially) and I always get tons of compliements, but when It comes to whos got the cash... I get confused shrugs...

These cars do not sell nearly for what they book! It may turn around in a few years, however if you are looking for a quick turnaround you may want to hold onto it for a few more months if nobody bites you can donate it.

Don't know your particular situation, but If you can come up with enough write offs for your base deduction($7500 i believe), then donate your car you'll be able to claim the value that way. Low book for an average car is over $15K N.A.D.A. book! If you do not have enough dollars in write offs you can still donate your car however you'll have to deduct your base deduction of 7500 from the value of the your car then write off the rest. You'll have to have it appraised and everything on paper cause the govt will prolly raise a brow at donating a $15K car.

Just my .02

Originally posted by trading t/a
These cars do not sell nearly for what they book! It may turn around in a few years, however if you are looking for a quick turnaround you may want to hold onto it for a few more months if nobody bites you can donate it.

Don't know your particular situation, but If you can come up with enough write offs for your base deduction($7500 i believe), then donate your car you'll be able to claim the value that way. Low book for an average car is over $15K N.A.D.A. book! If you do not have enough dollars in write offs you can still donate your car however you'll have to deduct your base deduction of 7500 from the value of the your car then write off the rest. You'll have to have it appraised and everything on paper cause the govt will prolly raise a brow at donating a $15K car.

Just my .02

As much as id like to get that kinda $ theres no way in hell Id donate it, I want to sell it but I also want someone to buy it who I know will enjoy it, and also take care of it, and have fun with it.... and in theory I could buy it back from some day.

Not intended as a flame at all. :)

For kickers, let's say he could get $15,000 for donating it, and let's assume the whole $15,000 was able to be written off. The write off only offsets taxes, and taxes are based on a percentage of taxable income. If he were in a 35% marginal tax bracket, his donation would be worth $15,000 x 0.35; or $5,250, which is the amount of the "benefit". That's half his asking price.

If you were selling it 6 months ago, I would have bought it(but my limit is 2). Price is not unreasonable, just too many TTA's have been on the market lately. Hope it sells.

Its the economy....Did you see Twobryan's cars on eBay? You're not the only one with difficulty getting a decent price out of his car. The economy is bound to comeback, all we have to do is live long enough ;)

Priced too low in my view. :)

Originally posted by lburou
Its the economy....Did you see Twobryan's cars on eBay? You're not the only one with difficulty getting a decent price out of his car. The economy is bound to comeback, all we have to do is live long enough ;)

Priced too low in my view. :)

Thanx... unfortunately i NEEEED a new car like BADLY now... My daily driver is dead and I dont wanna waste money on another daily driver (that Im gonna lose that money on) that Im gonna replace with a nice new(er) TA when I sell this. Im just between a rock and a hard place.

Yeah I'll donate it to you... as long as you make a charitable $10,500 donation back!!! :)

Don't wanna step on anyone's toes, BUT,

As an example I'll give you a situation and tax benefits(per say). Figure an income of over 72K spouse's income over 65K and a tax bracket of 42.5%(don't really know where you were going with this) The base tax deduction(1998 as an example) is $6950.00 for single or $12,500.00 for married. I am able to write off such things as partial phone bill, laundry, safety shoe expenses, clothing, etc. for my profession. If you happen to have the minimum amount(% of your income) in medical expenses all the more power to ya. In order for you to claim a deduction on your taxes you have to have more than your basic deduction that the govt. gives you(in this $6950.00). If you can itemize and pull up another $6950.00 in deductions prior to your donation, you can claim the amount of your donation subtract that from your taxable income and actually see a return from your donations. It takes a lot yes, but with the appropriate amount of legal deductions you should have no problems getting the amount for your car.

Unless I've been doing my taxes wrong for the last decade and the IRS hasn't figured it out( :rolleyes: )

Just a little info!

Nice car rogue, but the main problem is, you have a car that is a very small niche market. You will more than likely get what you really want for it, but the trick is, not to get to anxious. Anytime you sell such a specialty car, patience is your best friend. Hope you can hang with it for awhile to get near your price for it. Mark :D

As someone who is looking(but not serious yet) for a TTA the negative things that stick out with your car are:
1- It was stolen(even tho it does have a clean record)
2- All the little things that are missing because it was stolen
3- Buyer would have to paint all the plastic ($500-1k? more?)
4- Interior has some small issues
5- Door dented
6- Most would want it to be stock,untouched(same as with the GN) even tho the mods you did are a + in my book.

I would fix the small stuff like the guage and badges and interior.

Problem is other TTA's in perfect(non Raced) stock condition with the same general miles are only going for a little more $'s...

Sometimes unfortunetly it just dosen't pay to be totally honest:(

Just my opinion

True charged... but when they got the car they would see it anyway... so honesty weeds out the wastes of time.

The interior issues are really nothing (small rip in the driver seat and it could use a new center console... I actually have one I can use maybe), but I cant see spending $1000 plus to fix the badges and the tach to sell the car for the same price... Other cars are selling for a little more and are complete but have more than twice the mileage and in some cases are in worse shape. at least everything on my car works, and almost everything is new.

Hey Rogue,

I feel your pain! I bought my TTA in 2001 which was probably the biggest mistake I've made. I've wanted a TTA since I was a kid (my dad bought one brand new and still owns it) so finally I decided it was time. My Credit Union would only finance the car if A)It was a dealer or B)it could be appraised by the Credit Union... so basically, I had to find one at a dealer.

At the time, kbb.com listed the car I found at $24,000! The one I found up in the bay area was not that much, but it was pretty high...it was clean, stock, and 64k miles. Because my bank looked it up and showed the KBB at $24k, they approved my loan.

Well, since then I've had a baby and have another one on the way and can no longer afford my "play car". I still owe $13k and the car doesn't even blue book anymore, which means I'm going to have to lose my ass... and I don't have the ass to lose (heh)

The main reason I've found no one is willing to buy a TTA for the range I need, is because so many people are desperately trying to get rid of theirs. So as long as these people suddenly decide to off their cars at $8-9k, I don't stand a chance. :(

These cars are not old enough yet to bring the 'rare and desirable' money. I had 2 of the '79 10th Ann. Trans Ams back in the mid eighties. When I sold them back then (in VERY GOOD shape), they didn't bring much money at all. Now I see them selling for $10K-$25K, depending on condition. I just paid $15K for my '89 TTA (mint w/23K miles) and I cringe when I see one sell for less than that. However, if you can wait until all of the 'cheaper' ones have been sold off and run into the ground, the price for the 'survivors' will go up. I speculate that if I store mine until it is ~25 years old (2014):eek: , I might be able to make a good profit on it. However, that is not why I bought the car. I bought the car to drive and enjoy. I'm not saving it for the next guy ....lol. One other thing to note....with only 1555 produced and fewer than that left in existence.......not everyone who wants one can actually get one. I feel that may cause some people to 'poo-poo' or downplay the car's value just to make themselves feel better about not having one. <---- Yes.....that is my opinion and not to be confused with fact.:D ;)

1KWIK6 youre right but I DONT have the time to wait... I need a new car NOW and I dont have the $$$ to let this big heap of money sit in my driveway. I Know Im gonna lose money (I have close to $16,000 into it including the purchase price), thats no big deal, but I at least want some KY jelly before I get raped!

Youre very right about people downplaying the car, I get ripped up on the thirdgen boards (they think my car is worth $6500), and they also think there you can get a MINT L98 GTA for $2000 (yeah right!).

Worst part is I have to daily drive it now cause I have no other car :( I live in fear someone will hit it!

BTW Julie I have a credit union loan too, but it was only for like $5k when I bought my GN and it was a personal loan not a car loan so I never had a problem.

PS Ive noticed the prices for all the ebay cars (except 1) have gone up... very weird....