am i a ricer?

NICKG

well i did it. i went and took the plunge and bought a new mitsu lancer evo. thing is , i bought it not as a ricer would(for the wing) , but for it's real rally car heritage. i am a huge rally fan and have had numerous allwheel drive cars(i had an original audi quattro coupe turbo(1 of 500 here in us). i looked at a wrx, but it just was not as much car(even the sti) as the lancer. i love the car...wife likes it better(it is her car) i am 32 and i feel bad somehow..i was at the carwash a few times and kids loved it, then another called it "one of them gay fast and furious craps". i still own 3 gn.s(all 87's) and i love them. they are a lot of fun even though the lancer is a bit quicker to 50 or so(awd and stick 271hp) am i a ricer? i do not fel like one, no one ever said that about the other sports cars i had(porshes and vw's) if you guys can find a dealer to test drive one of these., you will be suprised !

Originally posted by NICKG
well i did it. i went and took the plunge and bought a new mitsu lancer evo. thing is , i bought it not as a ricer would(for the wing) , but for it's real rally car heritage. i am a huge rally fan and have had numerous allwheel drive cars(i had an original audi quattro coupe turbo(1 of 500 here in us). i looked at a wrx, but it just was not as much car(even the sti) as the lancer. i love the car...wife likes it better(it is her car) i am 32 and i feel bad somehow..i was at the carwash a few times and kids loved it, then another called it "one of them gay fast and furious craps". i still own 3 gn.s(all 87's) and i love them. they are a lot of fun even though the lancer is a bit quicker to 50 or so(awd and stick 271hp) am i a ricer? i do not fel like one, no one ever said that about the other sports cars i had(porshes and vw's) if you guys can find a dealer to test drive one of these., you will be suprised !

You are NOT a ricer because you drive a fast Jap car.....

A ricer is some young punk who drives a Honda or some little econo box with a fart can exhaust (he spends his money trying to make it look fast rather than making it fast) and a big wing (he might also have stickers) that thinks he has a fast car and likes to drive like an idiot weaving in and out of traffic!

BTW, personally I think the new Lancer evos are awesome cars with the turbo 4 cylinder motor and AWD..... With just a few bolt-on mods they can easily run in the 12's like our cars and they also brake and handle well especially with the AWD!

Please don't feel like a ricer and the next time somebody makes a comment about it being a gay fast and furious crap tell them to STFU and put their money where their mouth is!!!

Later.

pass the soy sauce!

Have you thought about pulling the wing off the back? I can't imagine it's that functional. You might get fewer "rice" comments.

I dont think your a ricer thoes evo's r impressive, i just got me a 93 1/2 Toyota Supra Twint Turbo. i dont feel like a ricer at all :)

funny the wing actually adjusts!

so i adjusted it this weekend, you can tell the difference. i would have preferred one without the wing...but they all have it. and taking it off in not an option, it has an aluminum rear lid, and it has holes in it for the spoiler. and a new lid comes with holes....(and $900 too!) i tell you i wish my buick hooked up like this does..

I think "ricer" is not a particular type of car or someone who owns a particular type of car, I think it's more a state of mind. The Supra, from (??) 1993 through 1998 has got to be exempt from ricer status, along with the Evo, Skyline, etc. unless decked out with useless aftermarket ground effects, spoilers, stickers and fart cans.

Ricer is definately something that describes somebodys lack of good taste in cars, if you see a neon with fart can, wing and white wheels, it is rice, even tho its a US type car. Once or twice I have asked myself if making my 4cyl front driver my project car made me rice, but then I realized it will look like a stock model, only with a ton more performance.

What did you not like about the WRX? Saab is introducing a rebadged WRX next year, and I was thinking about it.

I LIKED THE STI

it just did not seem to be as much car for the $. i liked the 6 spd, the look....but i did not like the handling and steering(very slow) and the car feels heavy to me. it was fast(faster than the evo 0-60) but i felt the mitsu was more car, the mitsu brakes fantasic, handles like a go cart and it puls as hard in 4 gear as it does in 1st! the shifter is tighter, steering lighter and the car has more aluminum body parts(doors, hood, trunk, fenders, thin glass ) i felt it was a better car. i originally wanted the wrx sti, but the lancer was truer to the rally heritage(makkinen won 4 championships with versions of this car)...plus it has cool hid lights(that are electrically height adjustable to boot!)

no sir, you are not a "ricer". You just own a fast import. Seriously though, that car has to fly with 270hp as light and as little as it is!!!

Nope you are not a ricer!
YOU are a CONSUMER! You bought a car that you need.

As for the ricers I thought they were really called posers

Wing delete option WD :D

You a ricer....no. Is the car RICEY...yes. Want even more HP (280), AWD and no rice comments?....get a GMC Syclone. Not enough space?...how about a GMC Typhoon.

The Typhoon will have tons more room than any Lancer plus it's much cheaper. Did I mention you'd be buying AMERICAN too?

The Typhoon will have tons more room than any Lancer plus it's much cheaper. Did I mention you'd be buying AMERICAN too?

Well, as a SFX editor, I had the opportunity to drive a 2004 Grand Prix GTP while recording it for a TV ad. It lists for 36,600.00 CDN, around the same as a WRX Subaru. I hate to tell ya, and hated to realise, that it was a POS. It was quick, with 260 hp / 260 tq, but it was not a very solid car. The interior was real crappy, and all around fit and finish was sloppy.

Domestic cars need to compete with the imports. Last year was the first, I believe, that imports sold more than domestics. GM, Ford and Mopar need to get the whole package happening, not just power.

Also worthy of note, Camaros, Firebirds and Trans Ams were built in Canada.

BT;)

You're not a ricer. A friend of mine just bought an EVO and that thing is a BLAST. It's definately respectablely quick, and it's got the entire package going on. (brakes, handling, acell. ect) It's a ralley car man! As for the ricer stereotype, I see them as people (kids usually) who have no clue about anything automotive. You'll see em' burning there clutch in the burn out box and bouncing off the rev limiter at the line when you go to the strip. You'll hear them regurgitate lines from the fast and furious movies as if the script could be used as the bible for all things automotive. And yes, they usually drive there car like they stole it because deep down they know it's nothing mut a slow POS and they're subconscously trying to convince themselves otherwise. Sorry, not much of a ricer fan.:) As far as the typhoon is concerned, while they are awesome, they just don't have that good of a warranty. That's important to me when (and I know I'm about to get hammered for this:D ) I think of all the women drivers in my family.

Definition

Ok, a true ricer is a wanna be racer, but Vanna didn't have any "A"s left for them to by. A ricer has many distinguishing external mods to identify their cars as being mainly superfluous in many ways. While there are many serious builders out there, many more aren't and they are giving the growing ricer market a bad name. You MUST have the following items to be a ricer; 1: a set of wheels and tires that cost more than the car is worth, 2: a stereo/video system with an X box worth more than the car is, 3: you must have cut springs (not a great pair of Eibach's), 4: you must have stick on decals with numerous Japanese race stickers on them that even they can't tell you what it mean, 5: you must have every carbon fiber element available for your car which are worth more than the car is, 6: you must have at least three under car lighting kits on it, 7: windows must be tinted the same color as the car, 8: an exhaust pipe as large as they claim certain parts of their bodies measure up to, 9: a wing large enough to launch a 747, 10: and last but most importantly, clear corners and composite lights worth more than the car is.

I spent the last 33 years in So. Cali, so I have first hand info on this phenomena. It's just kids being kids, and living with mom and dad so they can afford to do these things.

All Japanese cars are not pseudo racers, just the ricers are. I have seen true 9 second Honda's, but they look nothing like the ones all over the streets in So. Cali. This Lancer EVO is a rally based car, and I am sure as with most rally cars, like the Subaru WRX, it's a kick to play with, just as is the GN's.

That is enough from me. So let's watch them, and laugh as we may, but one just may creep up someday and make you humble too. lol
Mark :D

You've described the ricer phenomenon to a T...my hat's off to you sir. I believe a ricer needs 5 of the 10 items you've listed in order to be classified as such. Having all 10 makes you a head case.

Originally posted by TT/A1233
You a ricer....no. Is the car RICEY...yes. Want even more HP (280), AWD and no rice comments?....get a GMC Syclone. Not enough space?...how about a GMC Typhoon.

Yeah, except they handle like cr*p.

You're not a ricer for buying an EVO or a WRX. I agree with others who say "ricer" is a state of mind and an attitude that's dominated by bad taste. It's not a car category.

I'm envious. I used to own a Mazda 323 GTX (4wd, 4cyl turbo, 4-whl-disc, IRS) so I know the joys of the rally car package. I want an EVO too and I'd buy one in a flash if I had the cash!:cool:

Originally posted by Matt Weiser
Yeah, except they handle like cr*p.
They do? Mine didn't handle as well as my TTA but then again what does?

A Typhoon doesn't handle that badly....at least mine didn't.

what about the NOS

lol you all forgot about the NOS stickers. Ricers put the NOS stickers on there car thinking it makes them faster. as long as you keep it stock and don't do anything stupid with it i would say no your not a ricer. unless you start driving it more and neglect the GN's you are a ricer and deserve to be SMACKED lol

-Chris

Originally posted by Foolis
Well, as a SFX editor, I had the opportunity to drive a 2004 Grand Prix GTP while recording it for a TV ad. It lists for 36,600.00 CDN, around the same as a WRX Subaru. I hate to tell ya, and hated to realise, that it was a POS. It was quick, with 260 hp / 260 tq, but it was not a very solid car. The interior was real crappy, and all around fit and finish was sloppy.

Domestic cars need to compete with the imports. Last year was the first, I believe, that imports sold more than domestics. GM, Ford and Mopar need to get the whole package happening, not just power.

Also worthy of note, Camaros, Firebirds and Trans Ams were built in Canada.

BT;)
:confused:
Have not seen the 2004 GTP's but others were extremely solid with a fine fit and finish