Aluminum reproduction GN wheels :)

Will you be purchasing a new set of aluminum GN wheels?

• Yes, I will be pre-ordering ASAP!

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Yes, when I get the money.

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • Nah, I'll just keep my stock steel rims for now.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Already have aftermarket wheels.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Waiting for reproduction GNX wheels.

Votes: 22 18.5%

• Total voters
Let's not start sucking each others dicks yet... there are lots of "ifs" to be figured out to see if this is even viable.

I do know this, there is an obvious need for a wheel that looks good on this car, and very few wheels that fit the bill.

I think, honestly, the idea of making an OEM style wheel larger out of aluminum is just so long over due I'm wondering why it's never been done.

I mean there are THOUSANDS of GN owners who would probably go "Hmmm.." when they saw this.

You're probably the furthest down the road ... I'd be interested in a 17" set.

dude... check the origin of this thread.
These wheels were 90 days out a year ago, and nobody is even monitoring it (if I had to guess)

I've contacted an engineering firm to completely digitize the original GN wheel and scale it up to 17" and 18" designs to have CNC milled centers and comparing some prices for having the centers put into stepped lip shells.

Unless of course, someone else here is farther down this road.
:p

These wheels were 90 days out a year ago, and nobody is even monitoring it (if I had to guess)

I've contacted an engineering firm to completely digitize the original GN wheel and scale it up to 17" and 18" designs to have CNC milled centers and comparing some prices for having the centers put into stepped lip shells.

A year ago My wife had Cancer. Passed away in the end of May, so yeah that put a slow down in the production. Just got back from Burlington yesterday night. 7 days loading & unloading a trailer. You want to build them have at it. BTW make sure you have the 10 million in insurance, Casting fees, CNC shops,Building new caps to look exact on an aluminum wheel, Cad drawings, Testing, etc....
The list goes on.

Digitalize all you want. going to aluminum design to steel isn't an easy process. When I was in Burlington I was on the phone every day with this project.

I really want one of you to take this on. Seriously let me know how it goes. :rolleyes:

If I wasn't so deep in this I would say ..................

You know you have been a member here 4 months, before you run your mouth you might want to know the facts as to why things got slowed up a bit....... Life is a hell of a lot more important than these ****ing wheels....

A year ago My wife had Cancer. Passed away in the end of May, so yeah that put a slow down in the production. Just got back from Burlington yesterday night. 7 days loading & unloading a trailer. You want to build them have at it. BTW make sure you have the 10 million in insurance, Casting fees, CNC shops,Building new caps to look exact on an aluminum wheel, Cad drawings, Testing, etc....
The list goes on.

Digitalize all you want. going to aluminum design to steel isn't an easy process. When I was in Burlington I was on the phone every day with this project.

I really want one of you to take this on. Seriously let me know how it goes. :rolleyes:

Wow sweet glad to hear about the update Brian!! These 17's will sell for sure,I think we all would agree that you are the best chance of making this happen.

The list goes on.

I understand, and got your note... quite a while after sending my original mesage.

Sorry, I wasnt probably in the best mood when I posted this thread - and as stated in my message to you previously - your wife is in my prayers and I meant sincerely the condolences I expressed.

Let us know where you stand w/this, and what we need to do to get this going. Do you have any actually made yet that you can drive on?

LOL... seriously man.
I'm waiting on my buddy Ray to head to Brazil in may to get me some quotes for having these made.

I've got an engineering firm ready to completely 3D print/map out the OEM wheel and scale them up w/out altering the bolt-face and it will still work with the factory centers!

LOL... seriously man.
I'm waiting on my buddy Ray to head to Brazil in may to get me some quotes for having these made.

I've got an engineering firm ready to completely 3D print/map out the OEM wheel and scale them up w/out altering the bolt-face and it will still work with the factory centers!

That's a good idea, but I would like to get away from the stock centers. I cannot stand those tabs as fasteners. Every time I used to take the wheel off, It would mangle some more, and I NEVER felt like they would stay on.

hello people; I think in your poll you should add (have some aftermarket looking for a change)
IBBY

My 84 & 85 aluminum GN wheels look great & they look original & weigh much less than 85 & 87 steel wheels.

I had two of them widned to 9.5".

What sizes do we think would be the best, assuming I was just going to do 1 set to start with; 18" I'd probably run 7" of front and 8.5"/9" in the rears.

I, alternatively, really like the way 17" wheels look on the G-bod, so if it's more cost effective, I'd go that route.

And, to save some time here, does anyone already know of a preferred 3-piece wheel housing maker that is friendly to dropping your CNC machined billet centers into their shells?

18x 11 and 18x8.5 for me, rolled lip for me. I was wondering the same about the hoops too. Quality varies.

If this ever happens, lemme know if you need a beta tester. ;)

What sizes do we think would be the best, assuming I was just going to do 1 set to start with; 18" I'd probably run 7" of front and 8.5"/9" in the rears.

I, alternatively, really like the way 17" wheels look on the G-bod, so if it's more cost effective, I'd go that route.

And, to save some time here, does anyone already know of a preferred 3-piece wheel housing maker that is friendly to dropping your CNC machined billet centers into their shells?

Def. 18"

brian could you also have some 35's made? i'm going for that stock appearing "donk" look. thanks

I hope these wheels take off!! What a great idea that everyone in the market would consider. I know im down for a set of either the 17's or 18's. Would love some 18x10's in the rear.