Aluminum reproduction GN wheels :)

Will you be purchasing a new set of aluminum GN wheels?

• Yes, I will be pre-ordering ASAP!

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Yes, when I get the money.

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • Nah, I'll just keep my stock steel rims for now.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Already have aftermarket wheels.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Waiting for reproduction GNX wheels.

Votes: 22 18.5%

• Total voters
Imo

The factory has 3.75 rear spacing. The 8 will have 4" back spacing. They will be set up llike the GTA front wheels. You can run 8" all the way around with no clearance problems if you chose to.

What about factory clear coating the wheels for easy care? Most people will come to appreciate it in short order. Polishing un-coated aluminum wheels all the time becomes a PITA.

Oh, and do you have a weight for the fast guys out there that are concerned about such things? I could see taking off my Prostars (PITA polishing all the time) for that factory look.

Ok guys I see alot of you want 17". This is where me as the venor & listening has to also come in from past experiences.
Also on that threa that we started in 12/08 was just that to get an opinion. Alot of 16,17,&18 back then.
It was broken up. I pulled my recors & went thru our sales. 15X8 was the best seller.

What I have to do as far as laying out $ to build these is to see where we can recover the quickest from the cash out lay. Once we get that back then we can check into doing 17". As a business I see alot of cars that were built that go for re-sale. Believe me the stock cars pull more $ then anything modified. Modify a 9k mile car to your liking. The try & re-sell after dumng a ton of $ into it. You will not pull anywhere the same amount as if it was still stock.

So looking back at our sales & modifying the rims 15 x 8" is the choice. We can widen to 9" or 10" rather easily. cutting down to make a 6" or 7" is even easier & less expensive.

Most of you know my wife had Cancer & battled it for a year & passed away the end of last May. This did sit me back quite a bit.

This is where we are at now. A Stock GN cap was not designed to work on an aluminum rim. We are at the end of producing a GN cap with no metal tabs that lock under the lug nuts.
It will be stock appearing. The back of it will look like a T,GTA, or a GNX cap.
The GN center hub only will be sized & shaped like the GTA center where it will accept our new cap. It will also allow The GNX cap, The GTA cap, & a t-type center cap.

This has also brought on an added expense & Time. We are working on it as time allows.

Do keep us posted Brian. If these came in 17's with an easier style locking center cap, I'd dump money for a set in a heartbeat!

I think I recall an issue being discussed with the lip and non-lip around the perimeter. Has that been resolved? If so, what's the final outcome going to have?

What about factory clear coating the wheels for easy care? Most people will come to appreciate it in short order. Polishing un-coated aluminum wheels all the time becomes a PITA.

Oh, and do you have a weight for the fast guys out there that are concerned about such things? I could see taking off my Prostars (PITA polishing all the time) for that factory look.

Weight is a huge concern we will be keeping it as low as possible.

The barrels & centers will have a clear coat like any other aluminum rim.

There was never an issue about the outer lip just the groove that trapped debris it's about an inch in on factory steel wheels this will not be in there.

10" will be available.

Ok to speed up the process we had an aluminum center that is close to the original size GN. I'm taking it localy to our cnc shop in Bethel & we will try & have them machine this close as possible to what we need.

This will just be the center but this should speed up the production of the rims. It will also give you guys a glimpse of how the centers will look & the new cap design.

I spoke to our manufacturers & if we can get this done it should speed up the whole process of building this wheel. I'll have more info when I meet with Jordan tomorrow.

He is a pretty talented guy. He just built us 500 Plus shifter handle sliders. They were discontinued a while ago but here is some of his work from last week. Just click the pics for enlarged views.
GBodyParts.com Online

You guys worked the crap out of us today & I appreciate the business ! It just didn't leave much time to play with wheels :wink:

Do keep us posted Brian. If these came in 17's with an easier style locking center cap, I'd dump money for a set in a heartbeat!

Ok for you I have to have 17" wheel guys. Been spending alot of time on how we can build these in the U.S.
I took the raw core to our machine shop. They can take the raw aluminum & make the centers for us. They will start with a 17" center & fully machine it.

Then I spoke with Jim at TDW on prices of barrels, polishing, Powder coating, & carrying the liability insurnce on them.

So now we have these costs:

Aluminum blanks being purchased
Machining of the center
Assembling them to any off set you want.
Polishing the barrels & the centers.
Powder coating the center.
Building caps
Shipping
I'm eating the set up fees for the caps & the center sections being built.:frown:

Close to $500-$550 a wheel is what we are looking at. That is just to get a few out there . Then the price will go up so we can make a few bucks.:cool:

We can do 16" or 17"
8" barrel & 9.75" Widths. We can narrow them or widen them but that is additional for a custom size.

They will have the GTA style center hub in 3" They will have a GN cap with center locking inserts like the original GTA GM caps. They will not fly off.

I guess it is put up or shut up time ;)

Ok for you I have to have 17" wheel guys. Been spending alot of time on how we can build these in the U.S.
I took the raw core to our machine shop. They can take the raw aluminum & make the centers for us. They will start with a 17" center & fully machine it.

Then I spoke with Jim at TDW on prices of barrels, polishing, Powder coating, & carrying the liability insurnce on them.

So now we have these costs:

Aluminum blanks being purchased
Machining of the center
Assembling them to any off set you want.
Polishing the barrels & the centers.
Powder coating the center.
Building caps
Shipping
I'm eating the set up fees for the caps & the center sections being built.:frown:

Close to $500-$550 a wheel is what we are looking at. That is just to get a few out there . Then the price will go up so we can make a few bucks.:cool:

We can do 16" or 17"
8" barrel & 9.75" Widths. We can narrow them or widen them but that is additional for a custom size.

They will have the GTA style center hub in 3" They will have a GN cap with center locking inserts like the original GTA GM caps. They will not fly off.

I guess it is put up or shut up time ;)

Man why cant us 18in guys get some love??? 17's are so late 90's!:D

BWEAVY did you see the photoshopped image of the buick sporting GN rims in 17 or 18 inch? is that what youre talking about? starting from a fresh block of aluminum and cutting it to mimc exactly a GN rim in a 17 inch size? i just wanna make sure im on the right page :cool:

BWEAVY did you see the photoshopped image of the buick sporting GN rims in 17 or 18 inch? is that what youre talking about? starting from a fresh block of aluminum and cutting it to mimc exactly a GN rim in a 17 inch size? i just wanna make sure im on the right page :cool:

That is it. We can do 18's but the shell prices get pricier. The center slugs get pricier. We would be looking at about $2600-2800 a set for 18"!!

We are doing 2 piece to keep back spacing options open. If some one wants a 9" shell it is easier to put the center in a open shell to the desired spacing.

I saw the photo shop. Wouldn't be me but I'm old. :biggrin:

If no one gets a set I guess I'll have a 17" center that I can put a set of clock internals into.

Nice conversation piece. Where did you get that clock at? Down the road. How much did it cost you? About $3k.

I almost fell off of my chair when I saw the photoshopped pic:eek::D:eek::biggrin:

I would say that would be THE ultimate wheel in 18" inch. Stock look updated to today's specs. Damn that looks good.

Brian,

Any idea on the weights or strength of these wheels?

Strength will be the same as a GTA wheel. Thickness of the center will be the same size.
The weight should be about 1-2 lbs. heavier depending on the size.

This is just a guess. When we get them assembled it will be easier to tell.

It's a week & a half before TBS nats so I don't think we will have one there. Maybe just the center.

OK let me understand are going to do a gnx/getaway wheel in a 17-18? Or the original gn wheel in the same size..... sounds so appealing on both now your going to make me sell my 16" I just got. ........what is the projected target date for their release?