Aluminum Drums

I just checked the part# on partsvoice.com and it only shows one dealer in cali that has one in stock:confused: How are they still around njturbo

My GM parts guy is telling me the part number switched and you must check the GM main frame and they come up locally at our local warehouse. He said he confirmed i can have two by Friday. If i get them i will post pictures and hey you guys want brand new ones and don't mind paying a few bucks, i will buy them as i am a Service Director for Ford and our company ownes GM right next to our shop, therfore i can get them at a reduced price.

NJ,

If they are NOT aluminum when they arrive, don't be surprised.

If they ARE aluminum, please order me a total of 4/four, OK?

I'll get you a USPS MO in the same day Priority Mail.

Thanks!! :)

Be careful when ordering new.

They might be the steel ones.

Do let us know...:D

Originally posted by jsta6
Be careful when ordering new.

They might be the steel ones.

Do let us know...:D

Came in today:mad: :mad: :mad: you are right steel replacements. So much for getting my hopes up. My parts manager is still trying to pick his mouth up off the floor. :mad:

Sorry, NJ!

Just make sure the used ones you find/buy have most of the "meat" left, because you'll still have to turn them to get them trued-up.

You don't need to have a rear brake drum fail while getting stopped after a 140mph blast through the traps in your Stage GN!

Sorry, bud!

I have aluminums with alot of meat left on them I'm not bsing anyone and They are definetly aluminum. Email me and or something And I'll hook you up nicley. I've called a few junkyards and they want 70 for one aluminum drum used and They arnt cleaned.

Originally posted by Nuffice
I have aluminums with alot of meat left on them I'm not bsing anyone and They are definetly aluminum. Email me and or something And I'll hook you up nicley. I've called a few junkyards and they want 70 for one aluminum drum used and They arnt cleaned.

Well e-mail then brother damm i am pulling out my hair:( :( e-mail...... e-mail me:)

I found one (1) in a junk yard after searching through 2 huge junkyards and it didnt have that much left on it, so I left it there,it was on a tuned port camaro. Just wandering though how much gains (et) or difference will I feel on the road , is it really THAT much of a difference?:confused:

It is the weight my brother that you are saving. All gn's are fat and need a diet. A little here and a little there, it all helps in the 1/4 mile. :D

Tell me about it ! Every little bit does help, but will I be able to feel the difference or is it something that will help the overall picture?? I'll probably do it anyhow though. Now to find some.

Originally posted by colby
Tell me about it ! Every little bit does help, but will I be able to feel the difference or is it something that will help the overall picture?? I'll probably do it anyhow though. Now to find some.

You will not feel it, however it is a nice upgrade to save some weight. Again every little bit helps, there is a formula to use x amount of weight loss = That In HP. I think i saw it on this board somewhere. :)

The drag racing rough rule-of-thumb:

100 pound weight loss = 1/10th sec. quicker in 1/4 mile.

HTH :)

Originally posted by Two Lane
The drag racing rough rule-of-thumb:

100 pound weight loss = 1/10th sec. quicker in 1/4 mile.

HTH :)

I knew it was out there......:)

I'm surprised nobody has chimed in with the BAD results some racers who I respect have had with aluminum drums. Search for the thread (I think is was from after the server crash) because I am too lazy to do it, plus I'm on a slow dial up connection. The gist of it from my recollection: the aluminum drums develop stress cracks from holding boost on the line. After so many burnouts and 5# launches (or more!) there has been at least one catastrophic failure of an aluminum brake drum. I still have my stock drums, but when they're gone I don't think I'm gonna bust my wallet looking for new ones. I too have searched a long time in the junk yards, pulling off wheel after wheel. After a while, I began to wonder, why am I here???

Originally posted by njturbo
I guess when you are racing breaking a drum is the least of our worries. :)

Shouldn't be. When the drum gives way when you're standing on the brakes trying to hold back your car under 10# of boost it isn't a pretty sight. Shoes get tangled in the mess that your drum becomes, backing plate torn up, broken wheel cylinder, sudden loss of brake fluid. Makes for a bad day.

What i meant was,,, i would rather be replacing rear brakes, drums and backingplate verses a block, crank, turbo, ETC. :)

I grenaded an Al Brake drum. It was a contained failure, though. The steel liner thats cast into the liner cracks and breaks up. I caught mine before the cracks propogated through the aluminum(the drum can then blow apart).

Avoid High boost brake launches and no line lock burnouts and never use a Drum machined over spec (my grenaded one was still in spec)