Aluminum Drums

How about Late 80's early 90's caprice's? I'm not sure but they may be 5" on center where as ours our 4.75" on center. They are frozen so I figured I'd ask before I tried to yank them.

Thanks,
Kev :)

Paid a visit to my favorite salvage yard and copied this down from the Hollander Interchange Manual. This book is dated 1993, so there may be other cars which have them in later years.

Aluminum 9 1/2" brake drum. Hollander interchange number 1132.

83-84 Blazer VIN S/T
80-85 LeSabre (RWD)
82-92 Camaro
78-81 Century
86-89 Chevy Passenger (?)
78-82 Cutlass
82-92 Firebird
78-85 Grand Prix
83-84 Jimmy VIN S/T
78-81 LeMans
78-81 Malibu
78-81 Monte Carlo
80-85 Delta 88 (RWD)
80-81 Pontiac (?)
83-85 Bonneville
86 Parisienne
78-87 Regal
81-85 Riviera
82-84 S10/S15
78-81 Sprint (Truck)

Aloha,

Look for the tell-tale white oxidation on them. :)

Part number is 1255496 .

Geoff

are these still available new?
and is that a GM part number?

They are discontinued, as far as I know (and that's not too much). :eek:

That is a GM part number, located on the back of the drum.

just fo r your info.. i contacted the dealership here in canada. the pqart number has changed but the drum are still available...theres supposed to be a hole **** load of them in a stprages area. price...250 each.......ouch!!!!

I was looking for a set recently too. Went to a BIG u pick it yard and looked at every F bdy and G bode. The B Bodies (impalas/Caprices) had bigger drums.. NONE of the F cars had em.. of ALL the G bodies (prolly 20) only ONE had alum drums. A 78 Monte Carlo. Of course they were frozen on. I had to get a JCW drum puller which worked like a charm and scored em for $20 a pair:) I also grabbed a few sets of frame tie bars underneith and a set of underhood rad support to fender braces for $18 for all 4:)

Originally posted by shag
just fo r your info.. i contacted the dealership here in canada. the pqart number has changed but the drum are still available...theres supposed to be a hole **** load of them in a stprages area. price...250 each.......ouch!!!!

These are the steel ones. GM changed their part number for the aluminum drums to the same number as the steel ones. I know this because I ordered a pair of aluminum ones and the steel ones arrived. The guy at the parts desk said GM does this if another similar part can be used as a replacement. Of course I didn't take the steel ones. At that price GM will sit on their inventory of steel drums forever!

Kevin,

Check out Pull-A-Part in the city. I just check all of the 78-88 G-bodies. I found a pair a few months ago, one was off a Grand Prix the other was off a Monte Carlo. If you have trouble finding some let me know I'll sell you the ones I found for what they cost me. They don't have a lot of meat left on them, but they'll work.

Hey Brandon (I think),

I asked this because I found a bunch at P-a-P awhile back. I wasn't sure what the car was so I didn't want to waste my time pulling them if they weren't going to work. Now I'm just selling the car so don't really need em.

Thanks,
Kev :)

Tell me that this list does not mean all 81 Cutlasses had them. I just scrapped an 81 and 84.:confused:

I don't really understand the interest in aluminum brake drums if stopping power is what you are after, unless you are restoring a GN/TR to original specs.
Have you considered disc brakes for the rear? I have and bought a set from a 3rd gen F body that I am going to install in a couple of weeks......Seems the way to go if you are after stopping power, am I wrong?

thanks guys

Aluminum drums do dissipate heat better than the steel ones, but mostly the weight savings is what we are going for.

Just ran part number through our GM dealership, yes they are available my cost is $97.20 i will get them Friday. Screw the junkyard it is to cold. I will pay the xtra money and get new ones. :)

That's really not that bad when you think about it...if you get them. By the time you go to the yard and dig around and maybe find a set or two, then pay someone to turn them and if you want them blasted. You've probably got $60 in them not counting your time...

:cool: