Aluminum downpipe done

gnxtc2

Staff member
My chassis guy ( JW Racing Fabrication LLC - Seymour CT ) sent me some pics of the aluminum 4" DP he made. The wall is .120 on the tubing and fittings. I will post more pics when I pick up my car next week.

You can fit your hand between the DP and the frame. The pic look deceiving.

I'm probably going to send out the DP to be coated with Jet Hot 2000 to match the headers.

Oh yea, the exhaust is aluminum also........and the muffler.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Attachments

• Billy%20T%20032.jpg
    Billy%20T%20032.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,473
  • Billy%20T%20025.jpg
    Billy%20T%20025.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,326
  • Billy%20T%20022.jpg
    Billy%20T%20022.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,337
Clean as usual for you! Is that a JGS wastegate I see? I've been looking at those.

pardon my ignorance but i thought aluminum wouldnt withstand the heat. if this works, why doesnt anyone make aluminum downpipes etc? i like this idea.

Clean as usual for you! Is that a JGS wastegate I see? I've been looking at those.

Yep ;) Got it from RacePartSolutions - Fast Parts At Discount Prices

pardon my ignorance but i thought aluminum wouldnt withstand the heat. if this works, why doesnt anyone make aluminum downpipes etc? i like this idea.

On the dowmpipe side, it can with stand the heat but you can't run the normal 16 ga wall tubing. I could've ran the 16 ga stuff but decided to keep everything .120 wall. The first bend MUST be .120 wall to survive.

Thanks to all.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Aluminum

I like the looks but aluminum melts @ 1260 degrees. That's the only thing I remember from apprentice class.

Yep, Got it from RacePartSolutions - Fast Parts At Discount Prices

I've bought a lot of stuff from John over the years. John and Darin are both stand up guys and will go out of their way to get what you need...

What are advantages of using aluminum? vs stainless? it wont rust but aluminum corrodes....

+1. What's the weight advantage? .125" walled aluminum tubing can't be too light. Material cost?

Once I get my car back, I'll weigh the steel DP vs. AL DP.

Its cheaper and lighter than SS.

Yep.

4" 90* 6"CLR
- Stainless $42.00 16 ga
- Steel $11.45 16 ga
- Aluminum $15.00 16 ga
$16.50 11ga

By how much? What will the coating cost?

I have to get ahold of Jet Hot and they give an estimate for the cost.

Here for more info:
Weight savings on downpipes - Yellow Bullet Forums

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Who sells the aluminum bends at those prices?