Aluminum Diff. Cover

Gbody5

Stuck in the 80's
Pro's or Con's to putting one of these on? I have a cheap chrome cover with magnetic drain plug on now.

Thanks!

There are no cons.

The pros are:

The cover stiffens the rear end.

The TA cover has screws that keep the bearing caps from walking backwards on launch.

The TA cover has drain and fill features.

The aluminum cover looks better, and of course it won't rust.

If you do purchase one, remember to use thread sealer on all the threaded connections, as well as a factory cover to housing gasket.

Good luck.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
There are no cons.

The pros are:

The cover stiffens the rear end.

The TA cover has screws that keep the bearing caps from walking backwards on launch.

The TA cover has drain and fill features.

The aluminum cover looks better, and of course it won't rust.

If you do purchase one, remember to use thread sealer on all the threaded connections, as well as a factory cover to housing gasket.

Good luck.

Strikeeagle,

Are the cap bolts replaced with studs, if they are is there a nut that goes on the stud to hold the cap, then the cover is installed and then another nut to help hold the cover on?

I realize the cover will be held on by the 10 bolts but just not sure how the stud worked?

HOW

you torque the studs then tighten the jam nut. make sure you put thread sealent in their so the fluid dont weap out.

Gbody5, Yes there are decorative 'stock' style aluminum covers.

When using a 'Girdle' style cover, studs on the main bearing caps is optional.

I have installed a LPW cover. I did not stud the caps. Just torqued the cover bolts to specs and then torqued the 2 cap retaining bolts and nuts to specs.

LPW recommends to use sealant on the cap retaining bolt threads and not to use a gasket for the cover. Just a thin bead of silicone. More rigidity and support without the gasket.

GNX cover...

I have a GNX style rear end cover that Kirban sells....I like it...
Pictures available...just let me know...
'bye!

Claude

At what point should one consider adding this to a TR?

I have always liked the looks of them but as I don't run slicks or run the car at the track..... I never considered it important.

Anyone?

I don't know too many people who have them other than for the 'bling' factor.

I want one for that reason but need to convince the wife that I 'need' it.

IMHO one would seem prudent, if the 60' times start dipping into the low 1.6's or quicker.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
IME, fluid will leak out of the bearing cap screws and/or drain plug if they are not sealed...

OK, but it hasn't happened on mine.