alto red wide band

jimski

In over my head
Has anyone had these bands slip. I had the drum machined and all, billet servo the whole nine yards. Still will not hold at high rpm .Low rpm the shifts are extremly firm. The pump is 100% working perfect and everything is healthy. Just for shits and gigles I switched to a regular sized kevlar band and now it will cause whiplash at any rpm when it shifts. Weird.

I also noticed that the wide band hangs over the drum a little on 3 different rebuilds, does anyone know why? is there a wider drum for that band

I stopped using them years ago. I do a 6061 aluminum drum that's a little wider but still would not use a alto band on it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What was the outside diameter of the drum?

That's a good question. The machinist would have to answer that. I did explain to them the concept and they understood. They just skimmed the surface and made it completely flat.
When I installed it I made sure I had the band as tight as possible without having it burn up.

Why does it overhang the drum a tad. How can I completely make it cover the entire surface of the drum, I think this is where my problem lies. The whole inside of the trans would have to come forward toward the pump for it to completely cover the drum

Last edited:
You stated that you only changed the band and the slip problem went away. Is this correct?

You stated that you only changed the band and the slip problem went away. Is this correct?

Yes i switched to a kevlar band and now the shifts will cause whiplash.

Kevlar is very hard on the drum. Carbon band is currently the best.

Kevlar is very hard on the drum. Carbon band is currently the best.
carbon fiber? Sounds pretty promising. I always like to try something different, i really like the way the kevlar holds. Would you say the the holding power of the carbon is the same.

I would ask Lonnie or Dave H both use them so my bet is there isn't an issue with carbon materials. Theirs is specifically made for them.