Alternator

Upgrade the ground from the body to Negative on the battery and make sure all the radio stuff is grounded to the body and NOT the frame. I noticed a big difference when I did this.

I run this one. You can set the voltage to whatever you want between 12-18 volts. My car never falls below 14.2 volts with headlights, a/c, everything on. It makes the power windows nice and fast too. Rollerized bearings so very quiet. 2 years, 20k miles, and no issues.

GM

86 - 87 Grand National 3.8L Turbo

37864 - Chrome 200 Amp
47864 - Natural 200 Amp

I just purchased the PowerMaster 47864. I noticed the pulley that came with the alternator was a different size than the stock alternator. I decided to install the original pulley on the new PowerMaster alternator. When you installed your PowerMaster did you use the original pulley or the one that came with the new alternator ? Also do you think it makes a difference which pulley you use ?

I just purchased the PowerMaster 47864. I noticed the pulley that came with the alternator was a different size than the stock alternator. I decided to install the original pulley on the new PowerMaster alternator. When you installed your PowerMaster did you use the original pulley or the one that came with the new alternator ? Also do you think it makes a difference which pulley you use ?

I used the one they sent and it works great. I think I'm going to paint mine black though but it outputs plenty with that pulley.

I also set my output to 14.7volts. It NEVER drops below 14.2volts even with everything on. I haven't changed an ignition module or coil pack in three years and 25k miles with numerous passes on it. I attribute this reliability to good grounds and this alternator keeping up on the volts. Amps mean less than volts when it comes to these cars. Be careful though, the adjustment screw makes big changes.

I run this one. You can set the voltage to whatever you want between 12-18 volts. My car never falls below 14.2 volts with headlights, a/c, everything on. It makes the power windows nice and fast too. Rollerized bearings so very quiet. 2 years, 20k miles, and no issues.

GM

86 - 87 Grand National 3.8L Turbo

37864 - Chrome 200 Amp
47864 - Natural 200 Amp

the link is now gone, could you please post up a new link to the alt?

I used the one they sent and it works great. I think I'm going to paint mine black though but it outputs plenty with that pulley.

I also set my output to 14.7volts. It NEVER drops below 14.2volts even with everything on. I haven't changed an ignition module or coil pack in three years and 25k miles with numerous passes on it. I attribute this reliability to good grounds and this alternator keeping up on the volts. Amps mean less than volts when it comes to these cars. Be careful though, the adjustment screw makes big changes.
looked for more info on the adjustment part of the alt. but couldn't find any, do you have an instruction sheet that you can link or post up?
thanks for your help.
BTW i did look up the instructions up at PowerMasters and it said nothing about adjustable out Voltage .

looked for more info on the adjustment part of the alt. but couldn't find any, do you have an instruction sheet that you can link or post up?
thanks for your help.
BTW i did look up the instructions up at PowerMasters and it said nothing about adjustable out Voltage .

There's a small set screw on the back. I think it's near the plug but it may be on the red regulator itself on the back but I had a buddy adjust it as I watched the scanmaster voltage. I bought mine used so maybe call powermaster to verify? My part # on the box I have matches the website though. Race batteries operate @ 16volts sometimes and this alternator accomodates that voltage. I guess you'd need to call and confirm though but mine varies from 12 to 18 volts.

There's a small set screw on the back. I think it's near the plug but it may be on the red regulator itself on the back but I had a buddy adjust it as I watched the scanmaster voltage. I bought mine used so maybe call powermaster to verify? My part # on the box I have matches the website though. Race batteries operate @ 16volts sometimes and this alternator accomodates that voltage. I guess you'd need to call and confirm though but mine varies from 12 to 18 volts.
thanks for the info.

Can the stock 120 Amp alternator be set in the same fashion? I think I see the set screw that you're talking about, would the stock alt. be able to handle the 14V? Had my alternator and battery checked, both were working however max volts was at 13, and now about a week later my bat numbers on the scanmaster hover around 12.5 to 11.9...

Can the stock 120 Amp alternator be set in the same fashion? I think I see the set screw that you're talking about, would the stock alt. be able to handle the 14V? Had my alternator and battery checked, both were working however max volts was at 13, and now about a week later my bat numbers on the scanmaster hover around 12.5 to 11.9...

Those voltages are low. I don't like anything below 13.2 volts, ever. As far as I know, the stock unit can't be adjusted. A different, higher voltage regulator, should be able to be installed into a stock alternator. I'm no auto electrician though. Hth.

I did check my powermaster alt and the screw to set the voltage is in fact on the red regulator itself on the back.

I just ordered a powermaster alternator. I was going to order #47864, but right before I placed the order; I asked if it had the adjustable regulator and it did not. They told me I need part#478648. It cost about $40 more and is the adjustable one (12-18V). I figured this may be of interest to those looking to purchase one.

I just ordered a powermaster alternator. I was going to order #47864, but right before I placed the order; I asked if it had the adjustable regulator and it did not. They told me I need part#478648. It cost about $40 more and is the adjustable one (12-18V). I figured this may be of interest to those looking to purchase one.

Good info, thanks. You'll like it. I feel strongly that the extra voltage I run is what contributes to my car's reliability the most. With the roller bearings, it should last a very long time too. And it should, they don't give those things away.

I always prefer to buy from site sponsors first, but I didn't see one that carried them. I may have missed it though. I got mine through summit.

has anyone tried to slow an alternator down??
I have gone through 4 alternators 2 GM and 2 powermasters...Im spinning them to fast for too long...running a stock diameter pulley.

has anyone tried to slow an alternator down??
I have gone through 4 alternators 2 GM and 2 powermasters...Im spinning them to fast for too long...running a stock diameter pulley.

A friend running stage II has the same problem. Anything over 8k rpm or so and the housing on the powermaster units he runs splits. He hasn't slowed it down yet but that seems like a logical next step.

The 1st one blew apart physically and was a GM/AC-Delco the 2nd was a Power Master and the shaft came loose in the armature.The 3rd was again a GM/AC-Delco and the regulator stuck at 18 volts(may have just been a bad regulator) I forget the 4th one..

Im only spinning up to 6500 but it may be anywhere over 5-6k several hundred times in a 1-2 hour ride in the dunes.I would say on average the rpms are over 4000 at all times.

Richard Clark has fixed a few alternators, he may be able to balance one or test it to high RPMs for you.

but if you have sustained high RPMs, and don't mind marginal charging at idle (or have a high idle RPM). Then putting a larger pulley on the alternator, and/or a smaller one on the crank may be the thing to do. "Underdrive" pulleys were really popular in years past. I probably still have one in the garage. Not sure if it would slow the speed down enough for you though. An alternator shop may be able to find different pulley sizes for the alternator also.

Bob