Alternator Wiring

blackgn1

Set on TSM Boost
The alternator plug on my 1985 Regal has two wires. One is red and is hot with the ignition switch in the on or off position. The black wire is the one that I think goes to the idiot light. This is the wire that I think is causing the alternator to not charge all the time. Is this correct? Thanks for any help.

From what I remember it should be 1 white and 1 red. I'll try and look up the diagram tomorrow but I've been really busy lately and haven't had time to do much surfing.:)

Thanks so much Charlie. Is the white wire the wire that goes to the idiot light? Mine(thinking it's black) was dead until I hit the gas and then it had power. Thinking this is the wire I need to replace with the 35 watt resistor.

Like I said, I've got to look things up but one of the old tricks for an engine converting to a GM alternator was to hook 1 of the wires off the 2 wire plug to the post on the back. That would give you a constant power to the alternator and unless it burned out you had a good charging rate. Same as a 1 wire alt for racing.:D

Yes the red wire is the voltage sense wire that may be hot all the time and the white wire should be hot with power on and either wired through the idiot light or have a 35 ohm resistor in the key on power circuit to excite the alternator

chargcircuit2.gif