alternator prob..

hershillgn

hi guys,

im running the racetronics fuel pump and hotwire system, and the only 2 times i went out with my 86 gn and needed to use the lights the stock amp alts burnt up . anyone have an answere to what i should do or upgrade to from my 120 amper??

thanks in advance

Yikes

I just installed my Racetronics Hot Wire kit on the weekend ( i did the pump about 3 weeks ago ) I have a rebuilt alternator from Auto part store. Works great no problems. I could even hear the pump more at idle with the Hotwire Kit. Umm if your blowing your alternator sounds like a major short somewhere ??
I am no electronics expert.... Maybe some guru's can join in with possible causes.

Originally posted by hershillgn
hi guys,

im running the racetronics fuel pump and hotwire system, and the only 2 times i went out with my 86 gn and needed to use the lights the stock amp alts burnt up . anyone have an answere to what i should do or upgrade to from my 120 amper??

thanks in advance

If, for any reason, the charge wire lug (where you attach to the back of the alternator) becomes loose, that will immediately burn up the regulator.

Or anything else touching the case will of course also do that.