Alternator- battery-groung problem HELP SOS

black magic

Black Magic
ok so today i installed a new 46mm external wastegate downpipe. after installation i started the car drove up and down the block, then pulled back into the driveway, and it was idleing then stalled. i went over all starter wires, batter cables, alternator wire, anything that the downpipe couldve burned and everything was tight and ok. i throught the battery charger on it and the translator genII measured volts at 13. 7 wen on charger, then when car was running it measured 10.4 volts. could there be other ground wires that are giving me a problem or bad alternator giving me a problem. and also never had this problem before down pipe installation. Any help is very appreciated!!!

Hello,
Check to see if the volt light in your dash cluster is lighting up? If not, you will need to change the volt/idiot light out behind the cluster before the alternator will begin to charge. The volt light "acts" as a fuse b/w the ECM and the alternator. If the fuse is blown, the circuit will remain open and the alternator will not recieve the signal to begin starting the battery.

WIth the car running and only measuring 10.x volts, you've likely got an alternator that has quit working, for whatever reason. If you have a voltmeter, then measure the votage on the stud on the back of the alternator with the engine running. It should measure 14-14.2 volts. And also at the battery with the engine running. Should measure 13.8-14 volts.

X2 what wiseman says.

Key on engine off. Is the volt light on?

If light is working move to TurboDave's procedure.

RL

If the bulb's not blown - and the wiring looks ok - pull the alternator and take it somewhere to get it tested. you could have shorted something when installing the DP, blown a fusible link, etc. First thing to check is to see if the alternator is working.

If you dont have a meter to test the output just take the alternator to your local parts store and have it tested. More than likely your alternator is the culprit.

Bryan

make sure the red wires going to the alternator have power. there is one in the plug that loops to the back of the alt and the big wire that goes directly to the battery.

while you've got the plug off, check to make sure that there is some power getting to the trigger wire in the plug- it's brown, i think. that wire runs from the ignition switch, thru the volt light in the dash, and out to the voltage regulator in the alternator..
if all that checks out, i'd bet the voltage regulator in the alternator is fried.

make sure the red wires going to the alternator have power. there is one in the plug that loops to the back of the alt and the big wire that goes directly to the battery.

while you've got the plug off, check to make sure that there is some power getting to the trigger wire in the plug- it's brown, i think. that wire runs from the ignition switch, thru the volt light in the dash, and out to the voltage regulator in the alternator..
if all that checks out, i'd bet the voltage regulator in the alternator is fried.

Best advice so far