Altenator

Ronnell hale

im looking to run 2 amps n my car memphis 1000 for 2-12s n a memphis pr4.50 for my highs any recommendations? upgrade the altenator another battery or will i b fine with stock altenator?

I'd definately upgrade the alternator,especially if you plan on other mods under the hood!! Definately do the Big 3 and if budgets an issue I would use welding cable or high quality wire,both available about anywhere!! Ebay has both and can find some descent prices!! Whatever you do dont purchase any CCA wire!! (Copper Clad Aluminum) I would also get a nice car audio battery!!

I'd definately upgrade the alternator,especially if you plan on other mods under the hood!! Definately do the Big 3 and if budgets an issue I would use welding cable or high quality wire,both available about anywhere!! Ebay has both and can find some descent prices!! Whatever you do dont purchase any CCA wire!! (Copper Clad Aluminum) I would also get a nice car audio battery!!
Any altenator upgrade u recommend? I was looking at singer.. I saw kirban had a 200amp.. And mechman but that 1 real expensive $600

I have a mechman on my Monte carlo its a beast!! If your not adding anymore then whats on your list I believe a B&R 240AMP alternator will fit the bill!! B&R is also on Ebay!! I chose the B&R for my GN!! I will be adding a stereo system later but weight will be a consideration!!

I have a mechman on my Monte carlo its a beast!! If your not adding anymore then whats on your list I believe a B&R 240AMP alternator will fit the bill!! B&R is also on Ebay!! I chose the B&R for my GN!! I will be adding a stereo system later but weight will be a consideration!!
Thanks man will check it out

im looking to run 2 amps n my car memphis 1000 for 2-12s n a memphis pr4.50 for my highs any recommendations? upgrade the altenator another battery or will i b fine with stock altenator?
ron i seldom take time to answer questions like yours since i have done it so many times but here goes again..... most folks just choose to ignore facts due to ignorance of physics related to electricity.........a few years back i competed in the IASCA unlimited pro class and won every national and international contest i entered......i retired my car after 6 years of competition totally undefeated.......my car was a 86 GN with over 3500 watts and i had a 160 amp alternator.........the GN comes with a 120 amp alternator and it is all i would have needed even for those competitions........ were it not for the fact that the rules gave extra points for an "upgraded alternator" i would have kept a stock alternator........all that matters is for it to be working and in good condition.........upgrading the charging wire is silly........as for adding a larger battery thats even sillier......the purpose of a battery in a car is to start the engine.......once the engine is started all the electrical power comes from the alternator............the battery is actually a load on the alternator and a bigger battery is an even bigger load........whats the point of carrying around a increased load on the alternator especially if it adds weight??

ron i seldom take time to answer questions like yours since i have done it so many times but here goes again..... most folks just choose to ignore facts due to ignorance of physics related to electricity.........a few years back i competed in the IASCA unlimited pro class and won every national and international contest i entered......i retired my car after 6 years of competition totally undefeated.......my car was a 86 GN with over 3500 watts and i had a 160 amp alternator.........the GN comes with a 120 amp alternator and it is all i would have needed even for those competitions........ were it not for the fact that the rules gave extra points for an "upgraded alternator" i would have kept a stock alternator........all that matters is for it to be working and in good condition.........upgrading the charging wire is silly........as for adding a larger battery thats even sillier......the purpose of a battery in a car is to start the engine.......once the engine is started all the electrical power comes from the alternator............the battery is actually a load on the alternator and a bigger battery is an even bigger load........whats the point of carrying around a increased load on the alternator especially if it adds weight??
Well thanks for answering i usually try to find answers to my questions before i ask cuz its usually been answered a 1000 times in here lol but i couldnt locate anything so basicly sounds like the stck 120 is good for my setup then

You can get one for a lt1 caprice that bolts right in . 140amp plus a lifetime warranty from good old autozone

281932154509 item number ebay my mistake but its 200 amps!!! Itll be around close to 130.00 shipped!! Whatever you decide let us know how its working out for you!! Appreciate it thx!!!

Richard is it, or do you go by DICK!! DICK definately fits the bill

Richard is it, or do you go by DICK!! DICK definately fits the bill

Gmoney just so you know A2000RICH (Richard Clark) is one of the most respected people in the audio community not to mention the biggest collector of Buick Grand Nationals EVER! If you do a little research this is the man that you would want to learn from and would be privilaged too do so, not to mention he is very humble and willing to help anyone. Here are just a few articles of a man doing it for longer then 30 years.

http://www.letskolab.com/the-worlds-largest-collection-of-buick-grand-nationals/

http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/buick/ This was back in 1990

http://www.termpro.com/showcars/index.asp?Page=20 This article they call him a pioneer in the SPL community

Hope you can understand now why he said what he said above. Come to the turbo buick nationals on May 4th and you can see everything for your self.

I know exactly who he is!! The OP asked for suggestions I gave him by opinion!! I thought long and hard before posting what I did!! Theres many ways to get where the OP wants to be!! More than one way to skin a cat and theres no reason to give someone a beatdown!! OP is looking for suggestions not an argument!! Suggestions is all they are no sense in getting upset with someone trying to help!! I have no beef with Mr Clark, lets just try and show each other a little respect!! Were all working on a common goal which are GN's!!! My apologies OP just eager to give you suggestions nothing more! Any other questions THAT DO NOT APPLY TO THE OP's thread can PM me!!!THX

Last edited:
Thank you. I was researching this and wondering if these shops just doing what they can to grab money. Upgrading my system to run
  • Amps:
    • Hertz - ML Power 4 (1000w)
    • Focal - FPX 4.400 (400w)
    • Hertz - ML Power. 1 (1000w)
  • Speakers (all Hertz)
    • 2 - 10in subwoofers (undecided)
    • 2- Mpk 130.3 pro 200w/100c/4ohms 5 1/4​
    • 2 - Mpx 690.3 pro 260w/130w/4ohms 6x9. (May need to switch as the magnet is seemingly too big)​
    • 2- Mp 70.e pro 100w/?/4ohms 3”​
    • 2- Mp 25 RMS 60​
  • DSP
    • Helix Ultra DSP
With this setup, is it necessary to do another Alternator or is my stock fine? It's a cruiser, not listening to music loudly.