All you Dads out their can realate to this

Alaskabuick

In the Garage working on the car tonight.
Finally got her all buttoned up after a some head work.

Decided that I would get to work sanding my radiator core support that is scratched up, Im sure you have all seen this.

It has been driving me crazy so decided I would prep it for paint.

As I was sanding on it my 7 year old Boy walks in, and asks if he can help Dad work on the car.

I say sure, I do want him to have interest in the car.

So I turn around and walk over the to bench to get him some sandpaper.
When I turn back around, I about Faint. There his is with about a 60 grit Scotch brite sanding on my header panel!! Ohhh! Duuuuudddeee!! :eek:

This car has flawless paint! The first thing out of my mouth was
HOLY SH!@#$#!!! Poor little Guy immediatly starts to cry, my wife comes running out into the garage thinking someone just got hurt after hearing me let out the scream of terror and my kid crying...He runs up to his room thinking he is in trouble for the rest of his life..

After I gatherd my wits we kissed and made up, had to tell him that Dad loves him more that all the cars. He then helped me sand the correct spot on the car.

Hopefully it will buff out.

Dennis

ROFLMAO :D . Sorry man. I'm laughing so hard because I can relate. I have three boys myself. "But!!!!", I would never give my 2 year old sandpaper anywhere NEAR my car. Still, they mean well and you have to chuckle. Kids are great but not nearly as great as a flawlessly painted GN. j/k ;)

My boy was around 2 years old and I was changing the pull rope on my Snapper push mower. While I had the pull rope assembly off the top of the engine I hear a plinking sound. I turned around and witness my son dropping all of my nuts, bolts and washers down the oil fill hole. All I could do was laugh, hell it was just a mower, I took a magnet and pulled what I thought was everything he had dropped in. The motor failed about a year later. I found a couple of stainless nuts in the crankcase long with a small screw that was lodged on top of one of the valves. No wonder that damn thing was so hard to start. Gotta love my son.

I raised two sons. Nuff said. Becoming a father sure changes your view of life and shows the kind of man you really are.

Oh man, I'm not letting my son even enter the garage until he's 15! :p

Great stories! Keep em coming!

3 sons

Well this was not the 1st episode, I have many more to go. Hope my cars can survive 3 boys. 7,3, and 9 months.

A couple years ago I was setting the timming on GSX, motor running hood up.
All off the sudden i hear this "TWAAANG" noise? My Boy (same one that sandded the GN) threw a little rock into the engine bay and it hit the fan. Shot off the fan and chiped the paint on the inside edge for the front fender.

I looked over at him and he had that all too familiar look of "oh no, im In deep you know what"

He is a really good Boy, I mean excellent, but kids just do stuff.

Den

alright since I'm closer to the age of being the kid than being the father I'll post something from the other side. One time a couple years ago (I was probably about 14) I was showing my friend and his dad what my brothers car sounded like with the Loudmouth exhaust on it. He's got a 98 TA with the manual and I had had a little bit of seat time driving a manual but now a whole lot. Well I didn't have enough time driving one to know that you typically park it in gear, so I pushed the clutch in to start it reved it a couple times and then went to get out while it was running to talk to them about it when BANG! The car jumped, stalled, and ran into the lawnmower in front of it. All it really did was make a little scratch but my brother was outside when it happened and he freaked and started yelling at me saying I was going to have to pay to fix it, I'm 14 and don't really have any money. Man was I scared for my life when that happened.

That's the only time that I can really think of where I messed up. I'm sure I did other things but hey you have to live and learn. And since then I have always checked to make sure the car was in nuetral before letting the clutch out :biggrin: . But if it weren't for all the mistakes that I made over the years and the MANY stripped bolts I wouldn't have the mechanical knowledge that I have today. I'm just glad my dad was willing to risk his vehicles for me to learn on so I wouldn't have to mess up as much on mine.

Yep you live and learn, I was 18 and changing the oil in my parents brand spanking new '88 Toyota Camry. I drained the oil, replaced the oil filter and air filter....Then was interupted by a phone call. When I returned I thought I was finished, I got into the car started her up and watched the oil light shining bright red for about 10-20 seconds then looked over at the work bench to find 4 quarts of unopend oil waiting for me. Needless to say I shut her down added the oil and started her up and let her run for a while.....Hell they got over 200k on that engine and it is still running. Lesson learned....wonder where my son got it from?

I just threw up. Thats why nobody but me is allowed in the garage.

My poor, poor paint....

It'll buff out, that paint is soft. :cool:

My son wanted to go in daddy's "race car" , I say Ok there's nothing he can really hurt. Go into the garage and hear him call my dogs but did't think anything about it. Walking out I see both my dogs(Boxers) jumped up on the drivers door with the window down and my son playing with them. After I yelled at the dogs to get down both scratched their way down the side of the door :eek: Didn't know who to punish, the dogs for jumping up on the car or the kid for calling them up, well the dogs got the worst of it :D

When I was little(4-5 yr old) we got a big snow storm where cars were covered, my parents told me to go outside and play in the big snow piles, they must not have been watching too good because my dad found me jumping on the big snow pile which happened to to be the roof of his 67GTO tri power :eek: :eek: I was told I got a BEATING :biggrin: don't remember thou

My buddy Dave grew up with is dad owning hot rods and always helped him work on them. He also lost alot fo his dads tools and often misused them. He was a troublemaker. One time he was working on his bike with his dads socket set and after he was done he left the tools out (of course). His little sister took a good sized socket, and a hammer, and proceeded to learn that placing the socket onto the fresh paint of dads early camaro and whacking it with a hammer made a cool round design in the paint (and metal). She did a good section of one side. When dad came home, Dave got the ass whoopin' of his life. It took him forever to prove his sister did it. I think after the ass whoopin' his dad actually caught daves sister doing it in the driveway.

I love my son, but it would take a few minutes to get my blood pressure down enough not to kill him.

I got one

altho this isnt about a buick ........

when i was little - a long time ago my dad owned a 68 shelby.
well my oldest brother was doin the whole smoking behind my parents backs.
so one day he nabbed one of my moms packs of smokes and him and 2 of his buddies went to garage to lite up - well as most of you might think - they got in car and was actin like they were drivin around. all were smokin away - my dad pulls up in driveway(garage door was closed at the time)they bailed out of the car - in the process - one of them dropped a lite cigarette. next thing ya know smoke is smelled and car is on fire. my dad lost the car and the garage. I was only 5 maybe 6 but i am told that my brother and both friends got beat silly. all this happened back in 73 -74 . my brother didnt leave house for a year as i am also told.

I learned a lesson as did my other brother and sisters - its not worth it to start smoking.

buickguy

OMG this is one of the funniest threads I have ever read. :biggrin: Except for the story about the burnt Shelby. :eek: :mad:

I was waxing my soon to be wife's car when I my 4 year old soon to be stepdaughter come over and asked what I was doing. I told rubbing wax on the fender so it would shine. In a few minutes I heard a funny scraping sound. She was on the other side of the car with the lid from the can of wax rubbing it around and around like I had been doing with the applicator pad. Gave her a spong and sent her to the wheels while I got out the compound. At least it wasn't MY car. :wink:

My daughter Deanna was 5 when while letting the 87 gn warm-up a bit in the driveway I turned around to back up and noticed she wasn't buckled in yet. She snuk one of her markers back there and nice thin piece of paper, used the console cover as "something hard to write on". Marker leaked right through and stained...when I saw the damage I flung my hands up in frustration...hand came down just as fast and snapped the shifter handle off...2-for-1 what a bargain...I think that was the same year she decided to give herself a hair-cut :eek:

my boy too pulled a (be calm im young)trick on me..he was about 3,i walk threw the hall and slightly hear the sound of air leaking,so i back up and listen closer(at the garage door entrance..i again hear the sound of air,like a leak,spssss,spssss,spssss..so i open my garage door to see what the hissing sound was,and their stands my boy with a paint can turning my goldish color jaguar to BLACK :eek: ..he had a can of paint and a big smile and was doing a fine job of painting my perfect car to black,i guess he liked the gn better :D ..i kinda freaked out,but too learned it was my fault(paint needs to be out of reach of children)..luckily the wax was pretty thick and some wd-40 did the trick...

When I was 18, I was changing the oil on my VW at night, of course I left the used oil lying around, and minutes later, stepped right in it , Nikes and all. It was cold out and I didnt even realize it at first. I was sort of a kid.