All you Dads out their can realate to this

Alright I thought of another one. I feel like a real dumbass for this one and I'm sure I'll probably get made fun of it. Anyways, I was changing the oil on my moms Altima and went and drained it, put the plug back in, changed the filter, then added the specified amount of oil. Went to check the dipstick and it's like way up the dipstick I kind of have a :confused: look on my face. Call my dad up and let him know the situation. He looks at it and then looks at me and just laughs. Now I was about 16 or 17 at the time and had a good background of automotive work already under my belt. Anyways he informs me that I just drained the transmission and added too much oil since I never drained all the old stuff out. I was so pissed, but I blame it on the fact that it's Japanese and FWD which furthers my point of FWD is the devil.

Haha...

Well, at least my 4 year old Timmy has his mind set on what cars he wants. He wants a Monte Carlo ss, a grand national, an el camino, a camaro, a charger, he says all that, then he says, but I dont want a Mustang no, mustangs are slowww..... :D and he says he wants an el camino with a grand national motor too, man he's good :tongue: I cant wait till he's older to help wrench on something with me...but he did scratch the drivers door on my new Maxima right after we got it about a year and a half ago :mad:
and I've cought him pushing his hotwheels car on my el camino's 3.5k paintjob
because he said it looks like a mirror :D :D :eek: darn kids

This is the BEST thread I've read on here in a while!!! :D :D :D Thanks for posting this stuff up guys!!

I've thought about starting a similar thread myself several times, but I didn't know where to start. I've been wrestling with everything that comes along with being a parent/gear-head for three years now. I've got a three year old son and a 7 month old little girl. I love them both more than I thought possible, but it's not easy trying to be a good Dad and trying to make time for the Buick and our other vehicles.

My wife works odd hours so I'm sort of a single dad a lot of the time. I can't even begin to count how many Saturday's I've been home with my son (and now my daughter too) and I couldn't wait for "nap time" so I could sneak out into the garage to do a little tinkering on the GN. Most of the time I can't get both of them down at the same time but occassionally I do and it's BUICK TIME! But all to often, just as I'm getting the first wrench out of the tool box, I hear my daughter wake up and start crying over the baby monitor (my son did the same thing when he was younger).

My son is old enough now that he likes to go out in the garage with Daddy, but it kinda hinders progress when he decides to run his hotwheels back and forth on the fenders or doors of the GN! :eek: I can't really complain though, he really likes the GN and his favorite toys are his Hot Wheels so I guess I've done an adequate job of brain-washing him. :biggrin: And besides, I've gotten pretty darn quick at performing certain tasks like oil changes! :wink:

I got one for you... it isn't about a Buick.... and it didn't happen to me..... all I know is it did happen.....

A college friend (probably my closest friend in college) had some people he knew back in his hometown with a pet monkey..... they went on a short vacation one spring and left the monkey chained up via a leash in their garage....(I think it was normal for them to leash the monkey so he couldn't go too far in the house and destroy anything)... He had food and water... and a place to go bathroom..... and enough leash to get to a workbench where some can of paint was on the bench.... evedentally he got the can open... and somehow painted a fair portion of the parked BMW in the garage........ :eek: :eek:

If the story would have come from anyone else .... I would not have believed it... but his mom confirmed it and she plays the piano at the church....

the up side

Hey Sam,

I figured you would stumble on to this thead and be bummed out.

Well Ill get her all buffed out in the spring, I am just now getting around to settling up with the shippers insurance company. The car is going in for a complete buffing in the spring, so they will address Little Blakes sanding job.

The Good news Sam is the I got the heads all back on and she fired right up like a champ, no leaks as of yet. So hopefully I have a nice seal on the Cometic head gaskets. God knows I did the most fussy job I think I have ever done on a install.

I also had the headers, DP, intercooler tubes, etc powder coated high temp silver. Looks really good, Ill send you some pics. Obviously you see I am doing the radiator core support that was needed to match how clean the car was. I had that one piece that holds the radiator powder coated in a a 50% black. Pefect match for the under hood black.

Den

turbosam6 said:
I just threw up. Thats why nobody but me is allowed in the garage.

My poor, poor paint....

It'll buff out, that paint is soft. :cool:

On my daily driver when my son was four he kept sliding one of those fridge magnets that looked like a 3-D black & decker dustbuster.

My first reaction was the paint will have to be re sprayed & then my next thought was what the hell do I care I own Sh_tboxes anyway.
My nieghbor backed into the car a year later car ws fix free :rolleyes:

Lesson learned don't keep sand paper low in reach of kids, cars are fixible but kids cannot be replaced

That sucks Dennis, but at least he is interested. My son told me at the age of 20 that he wished he had paid more attention to what I was doing in my shop all those years. Seems he is playing catch up now building his dessert racing pick up and learning at the same time. Sure have spent a lot of time on the phone with him since that project started.

Just think, in five or six years, you will laugh at the whole thing. Better yet, when his son does the same thing, you can remind him of the sinking feeling you had in your stomach as you bit your tongue and consoled him for his error.

Me when I was little (at least this is what my parents tell me) :

We had a big ice storm one day and I decided I'd go outside and scrape the ice off the windows of mom's car. I got the windows done and apparently figured what the hell, I"ll do the whole car. I had a metal ice scraper. The entire car had to be repainted after I was done. I don't know if I got beat for it or not. Also noteworthy is the time my brother and I discovered how cool it was to fling peaches up into the ceiling fan. Those stains were there for ten years.

I just got married and we plan on having kids soon. They say I have no clue what i'm in for.

bob

I love my son more than anything.

We had a small apple tree in our backyard. I was sick and tired of picking up the apples that were constantly falling off of it. We did not take care of this tree by spraying it with pesticides, so the apples were not worth saving.

Finally my wife gives me permission to take down the apple tree. I wanted this thing gone. I did not want the stump poking out of the ground either.

First I device my plan. I pull my 1977 GMC step-side 4x4 with 39.5” tall TSL boggers, a 383 stroker motor, corporation 14 bolt rear end, ECT. out of the pole barn and pull right up to this apple tree. I get out of the truck and wrap my big bad tow strap around this tree, and hook it up to one of the tow hooks on the front of this truck.

At this point in time my 3and a half-year-old son is driving his little power wheels Chevy electric powered truck around the yard, because what ever Dad is doing he has to be doing the same thing. I am always very cautious about where my son is at when driving my big truck around our property, because there are so many blind spots, it especially hard when backing it up. I decide the safest spot for him during this activity of extracting this tree from its current location, is in the truck with me. This way I know for sure where he is.

Next with my son in the truck with me, we fire up my male testosterone breathing 383 small block Chevy. I put the transfer case into low range. Next I put the truck into reverse, and start pulling on that tree. My son is jumping up and down on the seat and loving this, as the truck is digging huge ruts into our yard, and sliding left to right as this stubborn tree is trying to prove to us that it cannot be overcome. Him and I are both having a blast tearing the heck out of our yard trying to get this tree to come out. Next I decide to hover the brake pedal with my left foot and mash the throttle to the floor, BOOM, that tree is history. We ripped that thing clean out of the ground. My adrenalin is pumping so wild now, I get out of the truck disconnect the strap. Turn the truck around and field blaze right through what was left of the garden from the previous year.

So spring roles around and my wife decides she wants to plant a row of pine trees across the back of our property. We plant about 16 small pine trees across the back of our property.

Later on that year I see my little boy blasting over those pine trees with his electric motored power wheels Chevy. I am getting ready to yell at him and he slams his truck into reverse, tires are now spinning from the sudden gear change. He is laughing his head off as he proceeds to annihilate the pine tree he just drove over. I scream out “what the hell are you doing”. His little truck comes to an immediate stop and gets hung up on this pine tree. He stares over at me with his, oh boy I am in trouble now look on his face, and says nothing. I start walking over toward him and he gets out of his truck. He looks me in the eye and asks me I want to help him get the rest of these trees out of here. I calmed down and explained to him that we really want those trees in the back yard.

That really made me realize how impressionable I am in his life.

Sam Colalillo said:
We had a small apple tree in our backyard. I was sick and tired of picking up the apples that were constantly falling off of it. We did not take care of this tree by spraying it with pesticides, so the apples were not worth saving.

Finally my wife gives me permission to take down the apple tree. I wanted this thing gone. I did not want the stump poking out of the ground either.

First I device my plan. I pull my 1977 GMC step-side 4x4 with 39.5” tall TSL boggers, a 383 stroker motor, corporation 14 bolt rear end, ECT. out of the pole barn and pull right up to this apple tree. I get out of the truck and wrap my big bad tow strap around this tree, and hook it up to one of the tow hooks on the front of this truck.

At this point in time my 3and a half-year-old son is driving his little power wheels Chevy electric powered truck around the yard, because what ever Dad is doing he has to be doing the same thing. I am always very cautious about where my son is at when driving my big truck around our property, because there are so many blind spots, it especially hard when backing it up. I decide the safest spot for him during this activity of extracting this tree from its current location, is in the truck with me. This way I know for sure where he is.

Next with my son in the truck with me, we fire up my male testosterone breathing 383 small block Chevy. I put the transfer case into low range. Next I put the truck into reverse, and start pulling on that tree. My son is jumping up and down on the seat and loving this, as the truck is digging huge ruts into our yard, and sliding left to right as this stubborn tree is trying to prove to us that it cannot be overcome. Him and I are both having a blast tearing the heck out of our yard trying to get this tree to come out. Next I decide to hover the brake pedal with my left foot and mash the throttle to the floor, BOOM, that tree is history. We ripped that thing clean out of the ground. My adrenalin is pumping so wild now, I get out of the truck disconnect the strap. Turn the truck around and field blaze right through what was left of the garden from the previous year.

So spring roles around and my wife decides she wants to plant a row of pine trees across the back of our property. We plant about 16 small pine trees across the back of our property.

Later on that year I see my little boy blasting over those pine trees with his electric motored power wheels Chevy. I am getting ready to yell at him and he slams his truck into reverse, tires are now spinning from the sudden gear change. He is laughing his head off as he proceeds to annihilate the pine tree he just drove over. I scream out “what the hell are you doing”. His little truck comes to an immediate stop and gets hung up on this pine tree. He stares over at me with his, oh boy I am in trouble now look on his face, and says nothing. I start walking over toward him and he gets out of his truck. He looks me in the eye and asks me I want to help him get the rest of these trees out of here. I calmed down and explained to him that we really want those trees in the back yard.

That really made me realize how impressionable I am in his life.

Awesome story, it is crazy to really think how much our kids will emulate us. In the grans scheme of things, a little paint or some landscaping is nothing, but those kind of memories are worth the hassle.

not so bad

I showed my Boy all the responces to the story about Him. I said: "See your not the only one who has done something like that".

Even Daddy may have done a couple things like that, ask you Grandpa.

He got a kick out of that.

Dennis

I remember riding in my dad's Nova back from the bike shop after getting a new wheel for my bike. I was riding in the back with my nice shiney new wheel spinning it round and round and eventually sticking it in the back window of the car. Of course my dad tells me to take it down after telling me not to put it there several times.. Well I pull it down and RRRRIIIIIIIIIPPPPPP.. The hub on the wheel pulled and ripped the headliner completely down in the back of the car.. All I remember after that was the sight of his hand swinging back at me..
:eek:

these stories are hilarious

There is a certain so cal member I know with two big blotches on the door of his beautiful t type from some sort of spray paint or adhesive and a couple of young sons... maybe he will share that story :)

I dont have any kids myself yet, but I remember me doing stupid things when I was one and being so scared of my dad.

Unrelated to cars, because he wasnt really into cars... he was into wood working, building all sorts of things. I used to watch him use a woodworking chisel and remove wood like it was made of warm butter and thought how cool that was. I always wanted to be just like him so I begged him to let me use it, of course being 9 years old or so he said no, that I was going to cut myself with it. I guess I nagged him long enough to where he just let me try using it while he was working on something else. I quickly learned that wood isnt nearly as soft as he made it look, and that you shouldnt apply force to a sharp object in a direction that happens to be occupied by a body part because when I tried to cut some wood i ended up just having it slip and stab me in my left wrist and gouge me RIGHT on a vein in my wrist, and I knew that those things carried alot of blood. Thankfully for me, my dad wasnt looking at the time and I sort of just went inside quickly. Fortunately I didnt puncture my vein as it did eventually stop bleeding. I still have the scar to this day.

But I sure did learn my lesson.

I guess being scared to death of what your father will do runs in my family because my dad had told me a story about how his dad had told him not to play on an old truck they had, apparently he didnt listen and fell off the thing hitting his head hard enough to require medical attention because he said he had a severe headache and daze for a day but didnt dare tell anyone because my grandfather would have probably whooped his ass for going on the truck after he told him not to.

Funny thread from years ago, looking back it reminds me if you have a kid or kids all that really matters is the experiences and memories you share with them

Good bump for a great thread.:)

Mike Barnard

The best so far for me is having my 12 year old daughter explain how a turbo works on a car to 50 something year old man. I dont know who had the better look on his face, me for watching my daughter nail it or the 50 year olds disbelief that she knew it...