alky or up grade the turbo

mikes gn

with just alky will the car be faster? or is changing the turbo going to be the best bang for the buck??
my mods are
fuel pump / hot wire
after market exhaust / no cat
k&n filter set up
adding adjust fpr - duttweiler neck and 38 lbs injectors..
right now i'm running 20 lbs of boost with 100 octane.
i know alky will save on the gas part.....thanks

If you still have the stock turbo, the only thing you will gain will be money saved on 100 octane gas.
I would say TE-44 or similar with those injectors.

IMO, I'd get alky first especially if it's a driver. (But this is coming from a clown that still tools around with the stock turbo). Having a daily driver that can hit 22+ lbs at any time is better than not being able to realize the true potential of the new turbo if you get caught with your pants down (no 100). The alky will pay for itself, and then the new turbo will be icing.

scottyb said:
IMO, I'd get alky first especially if it's a driver. (But this is coming from a clown that still tools around with the stock turbo). Having a daily driver that can hit 22+ lbs at any time is better than not being able to realize the true potential of the new turbo if you get caught with your pants down (no 100). The alky will pay for itself, and then the new turbo will be icing.

Amen.

Alky, Alky, Alky....................Did I say Alky? :) I was up to 25 psi on 93 octane with no knock at all. I would prob have pushed it higher by now if I diddn't smoke my tranny.............again. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love the alky injection, but a new turbo will take you much farther at the moment. The stock turbo is done around 21psi or so, and even magic alky won't help that a whole lot.
Hmmmm.......
Get both!

Not everyone finds it logical or affordable to run race gas everywhere. Sure, it smells nice, but big deal. Its not worth it. You cant always have the race gas, but you can run high boost with the alky and pump gas all the time. I think only the people with deep pockets or people who only drive their TR 5 miles a month would recommend race gas and a bigger turbo over the other option. Another thing nice about the alky is that it doesnt kill O2 sensors, its cheap, and it practically steam cleans the throttle body, the intake manifold, the crusty back side of your intake valves and cleans out the combustion chambers. 20 passes with Alky will cost you what? 10 bucks? How much would that cost with race gas? If you have a daily driver, its obvious what to do.

Well, unless you're committed to (paying for and) running race gas, you can go 15 PSI on any turbo (stock or ?) you please. Which is to say. A-L-K-Y...

strike

thanks for all your imput on this one, i do have a scan master..and as far as
money goes the good news is i have way more money than brains, the bad
news is, i'm 85% retarded, so it's a total wash..i only put about 280 miles on
it last year so a 50/50 mix of 112 and 93 is not to bad on the pockets.i just
want it faster and not spend to much.. thanks again

How fast are you now? Alky is nice, but a good chip and tune is the best bang for the buck hands down.

Chip from Turbo tweak is $75
and a tune is minimal.

If you upgrade turbo, you will need to upgrade injecters and converter down the road.

I maxed my combo out before I upgraded.....Only made sense.

HTH
Bo

TT/Ameasap said:
How fast are you now? Alky is nice, but a good chip and tune is the best bang for the buck hands down.

Chip from Turbo tweak is $75
and a tune is minimal.

If you upgrade turbo, you will need to upgrade injecters and converter down the road.

I maxed my combo out before I upgraded.....Only made sense.

HTH
Bo

I couldn't have said it any better! Heck I still think there is more left in my TTA (see sig) :D

Some is good MORE is better. Bigger turbo and RAZOR's alchy kit and
let'r rip!

I ran alchy on a stock turbo and original injectors for some time. The 44 and 25#
of boost is a whole new game with the alky control system!

Thanks Razor.

The stock turbo, an Eric Marshall chip, and a Razor alky kit and the sky is the limit. If you get an RJC boost controller the spool will be quicker than anything that you can imagine. I ran 25# of boost with the stock turbo and had almost no knock after a lot of tuning (about one year). This is a cheep and fun combo.

eddc87 said:
The stock turbo, an Eric Marshall chip, and a Razor alky kit and the sky is the limit. If you get an RJC boost controller the spool will be quicker than anything that you can imagine. I ran 25# of boost with the stock turbo and had almost no knock after a lot of tuning (about one year). This is a cheep and fun combo.

I am impressed, seriously. I want to run 11 something and have upgraded almost everything outside the long block. Good job.

DIY alky. will help a 44 turbo get the car moving.

And save you a ton of money.

Not good for retarded folk though they all need a "kit". ;)