Alcohol pump dead?

87GNcospg

Send your Donations
how do i test to see if my shurflo pump is working?

i have razors alky kit and the pump seems to not be working. the turn on light comes on at 4psi, hitting the test button makes the light come on, but i havent refilled my alky tank in weeks. my alky has been at the same level for weeks. when i turn the knob on the controller box all the way to the right and hit the test button, my car would almost die from the alky being sprayed at an idle. now hitting the button at idle has no effect. no alky seems to be coming from the nozzle.

i took off the up pipe and left the nozzle connected to it. with the ignition on shouldnt meth spray from the nozzle if someone hits the test button?

i guess i will check to see if the filter or nozzle is clogged before i assume its the pump. . .

i checked the nozzle and it is clear.

i checked the filter before the nozzle and it is clear.

hope i dont have to buy another pump.

Also make sure all the wiring is intact and that there is power going to the pump.

If nothing unusual happened, it's not likely the pump. It takes alot to burn one of these.

Unhook it at the filter, turn the ignition on, unplug the MAP sensor, now jump the green to grey terminal in the MAP plug.

Does it flow?

Report back.

thanks for the help. i was about to go back outside and figure this out but now there is about 6inches of snow on the ground.
it will be a couple days before i can report back.
wonderful colorado weather. it was 67 degrees 2 days ago. ;)

Originally posted by Razor
Unhook it at the filter, turn the ignition on, unplug the MAP sensor, now jump the green to grey terminal in the MAP plug.

Does it flow?

Report back.

i did what you stated above......and there is nothing coming out of the line. no flow.
the pump seems to be making a sound like it is trying to flow. like an "eeeeeeeeee" constant sound when the MAP is jumped and when i press the test button on the control box. i will check for debris in the line going to the pump from the tank. if thats not clogged then what is the next thing to check?

When you push the test button its suppossed to flow very little. When you jump the MAP, its suppossed to flow a lot. More than likely debris may have lodged itself inside the pump. The sound when the MAP is jumped should be very pronounced. Like a Brrrrrrrrr..

Also did you unhook the line coming after the filter? Could the filter be clogged? Have you used other chemicals in the pump besides alcohol? Take the filter off, make sure its not clogged.

Report back.

only other thing i have used in the pump is distilled arrowhead water. one time after mixing about 60%water and 40% meth the solution turned into a milky substance a couple days later. i maybe sprayed this solution once or twice through the alky system before draining it and putting pure meth back in.
a Brrrrrrrrrr is a far better imitation of the sound the system was making :)

i disconnected the line from filter to nozzle.........blew through it and its clear.
blew through the nozzle, clear. and took the filter off and blew through it.
those all seemed clear of crap.

last thing to still check is the line from tank to pump. once the weather gets somewhat decent i will reprt back.

well the line from the tank to the pump is free of debris also.

the sound when the MAP is jumped means that the pump is trying to work correct?
so why is there no alky coming out? :confused:

Check valve swelled up. Your teflon one went out today with instructions.

Any questions on its installation, pickup the phone and call.

Thanks.

well i installed the teflon ring and gasket. i didnt use the plate because i wasnt really sure where it goes. is a hole supposed to be drilled for the spring and check valve? i dunno. i dont think i need the pump running at max psi anyways.

i still have no alky spraying into my motor. i get the sound from the pump that its trying to work but the motor is not stumbling with a hit of the test button. i dont know what else to do. i did find a few tiny black peices of plastic in the line from the tank to the pump. maybe some of it got inside the pump? i miss 20+ psi and no knock...........

also i think i sprung a leak at the bottom of the tank where the hose connects to it. its a crack in the tank or in the line. i can see a few drops popping out.

any ideas now? shouldi take apart the pump completely and look for debris inside of it, just buy a new pump, or what else can i do?
thanks for all the help

Instructions say "Please call if any questions..."

Call me and i'll get you taken care off. If you want we can do this this over the net. Its your time.

How fast you want this resolved.. is up to you.

Thanks. Only so much troubleshooting can be done over a keyboard.

No need to buy a pump, when that may not be the problem...

i know you would be more than happy to help me out over the phone but when i have time to work on the car it is usually pretty late at night. i dont want to wake you up just help with a "simple" problem ;)

i disconnected all the methanol lines again and started to peice them together checking for clogging or anything else. i had the uppipe off and jumped the map and IT WORKED. there was flow and a nice mist. put the uppipe back on and jumped the MAP to make sure things were working still. there was still flow. OK

i drained the water and put methanol in plugged the MAP in and tried testing with the test button and it wast flowing. :confused: it all of a sudden stopped working now.

i then unplugged the MAP again and jumped it and it works.
i guess something is wrong with the control box or my MAP is bad. i dont know what else it would be now.

i really do appreciate all your help (RAZOR) and everyone else.

To test your MAP sensor, easy way is use a digital voltmeter. The 3 bar sensor will read 1.6v approx at the center(green) wire terminal with ignition on.

Another way is put the car into boost and see if at your turnon point the turnon LED fires.

The test button on the controller will simulate flow at whatever your turnon point is. If the battery voltage on the car is low, if the "Initial" is set low, if the "Gain" knob is low.. it may not flow/flow enough. With the car running, "Initial" in the 11-12 o'clock position, and the Blue "Gain" knob cranked open.. it should flow. Watch the O2's on your scanmaster, they should jump into the 800's when you press the button. The test button isnt designed to put the pump at full boogie. If it did.. i'd be hydro'ing a lot of motors.

Also I dont know if you have an issue with the pressure switch on top of the pump. I havent had one go bad yet.. but thats why I sent ya the plate :).

Somethings.. emails, posts, etc.. get missing.. thats why I say.. make it a point and call.

Post back or call.

the turnon LED turns on when i go under boost but the alky doesnt seem to be spraying under boost. i get a couple degrees of retard at 18lbs when the alky should be spraying with 93 octane in the tank. when the kit was working i would get 0 knock with 20+psi with 93 octane. plus with all the testing i did last night driving around and watching the turnon LED come on, the alky in the tank was at the same exact level as when i started. no alky was being sprayed. i had 100 octane in my last full gas tank and i was getting 20# with 0 knock.

with the gain knob cranked open, nothing happens when i hit the test button. the car doesnt stumble, 02's dont change, no alky is spraying.

i forgot to mention this. its really weird.
yesterday after i got all the lines and uppipe back together, hitting the test button was working. i had distilled water in the tank and cranked up the gain knob and was hitting the test button with the car on. it was spraying water. the car was stumbling and eventually i had some "steam" coming out of the tailpipes. had about a 1/4 of a gallon of water run threw the pump. i then drained the water and put alky in. i did nothing else but change the type of fluid. i started the car again and tried hitting the test button. nothing was spraying.

alright, i will test the MAP sensor anyways this week and maybe open up the control box to look for anything strange. i will try to give you a call if it isnt late at night.
thanks

Originally posted by 87GNcospg
i will try to give you a call if it isnt late at night.
thanks

Attaboy. You could of called today.

Are you sure you don't have a bad ground or a loose wire? You're problems seem so random...

:confused: