Air temps After the intercooler

Kansas T

GOT BOOST?
I'm curious what air temps people are seeing after the intercooler? Mine was 158 degrees at 24psi of boost with a V4 intercooler. The outside temp was in the 50's. Just trying to figure out if this is high or normal for our cars.

WOW

I'm not trying to sound "opinionated" here but that is WAY HOT compared to that of other intercoolers I have seen including testing we any many others have done with stockers and modded IC's.

Assuming you had about 270 degrees entering the intercooler (which is high compared to your outside temp ) (giving you better efficiency calculations) and 50 degree outside temp....

temp in-temp out divided by temp in-ambient temp X100 will give you the efficiency of the intercooler...so here it is:

270-158=112 degrees

270-50=220 degrees

112/220=.50909090909 X100 =50.9 percent efficient for your V4 unit

we have seen stock intercooler efficiencies in the 60-65 percent range, but pressure drop with a stock intercooler is greater because of the tank and neck design, most of your gain with the V4 is probabally being gained in the pressure drop area....

We have also done testing with our intercoolers and have seen efficiencies in the range of 90% and greater...even in much warmer ambient temps...

Our reccomendation is if you are going to keep the V4 unit, strip the core and tanks with aircraft stripper, the powdercoating they put on those units is a VERY GOOD thermal insulator as compared to a bare or thinly coated (painted) core, I'd bet your efficiencies go up 5-10% just by stripping the core;)

What turbo are you running?

Powder coating on the CAS IC's are very thin. I have seen him do it once when I was there and 5 - 10% efficiency loss is stretching it on that alone. Bare is the best way to go like what MPE sells, but you will not see a difference with it barely coated. Its a minor factor in the overall process of heat transfer when its that thin.

No stock location will ever see 90% efficiency. I have seen plenty of FMIC's with flow tunnel results like Spearco bar and plate cores in the 70's and those are 24x10x3 IC's. Most stock location cores have 1/4th to 1/3rd less core area and on top of that do not see as much ambient air due to it being stuck behind the rad. Check out the Garrett info on the limit engineering page about ICs and the efficiencys in the right column.
http://www.limitengineering.com/catalog.pdf

Check this out
http://www.adfxracing.com/ic-info.asp?vehicle_id=1
These guys have a killer extruded tubed Supra core, its actually smaller than the CAS V2 that I have!! The numbers look good and similar to a thread a while ago from a V1 (extruded tubed) owner who was seeing 100 degrees at the end of the run on 116, no alky.

You might want to think about alky to get your temps down or a FMIC.

By the way, MPE your twin turbo Impala is bad ass!! :D

I'm using a Turbonetics T66. Since some of the coating is flaking off I'll try stripping it and see if that helps. I also think the V4 scoop is a problem, so I'll try to better that design alittle before I give up on it. Thats exactly the info I was looking for, thanks. Anybody else got some numbers?

I'm gonna convince Nick to put an egt behind the Mease IC and I'll stick one after my V4 and see what we see.......

(may not be a fair test 'cause my turbo is prolly more efficient than his "stock" SS turbo....but we'll see)

I've got a V4 and can make some tests perhaps tomorrow.

Got a new EGT meter and some thermocouples somewhere. :D

Got a mease stretch too on the other car, hmmm. ;)

How long were you at 24 psi. boost to take the reading? :)

I was at 24 psi of boost for the entire pass, around 11 seconds. The temp went to high 150's before the 2-3 shift.

Based on the testing we did for The Source article we had peak temps on the order of 140 degs for the V4 and Cottons SL intercoolers with front mounts we were in the 115 to 95 deg range.

Re: WOW

Originally posted by Mease Performance
I'm not trying to sound "opinionated" here but that is WAY HOT compared to that of other intercoolers I have seen including testing we any many others have done with stockers and modded IC's.

Assuming you had about 270 degrees entering the intercooler (which is high compared to your outside temp ) (giving you better efficiency calculations) and 50 degree outside temp....

temp in-temp out divided by temp in-ambient temp X100 will give you the efficiency of the intercooler...so here it is:

270-158=112 degrees

270-50=220 degrees

112/220=.50909090909 X100 =50.9 percent efficient for your V4 unit

we have seen stock intercooler efficiencies in the 60-65 percent range, but pressure drop with a stock intercooler is greater because of the tank and neck design, most of your gain with the V4 is probabally being gained in the pressure drop area....

We have also done testing with our intercoolers and have seen efficiencies in the range of 90% and greater...even in much warmer ambient temps...

Our reccomendation is if you are going to keep the V4 unit, strip the core and tanks with aircraft stripper, the powdercoating they put on those units is a VERY GOOD thermal insulator as compared to a bare or thinly coated (painted) core, I'd bet your efficiencies go up 5-10% just by stripping the core;)

Keith, calculating the efficiency of an intercooler is not quite that simple. Just because the air outside was 50 degrees does not mean the air around the IC was at 50 degrees. You have to take into account the temp of the IC at the beginning of the run, and you must also know the volume of air that was passing across the fins (outside air, not turbo air) to get a real world efficiency #.

Re: Re: WOW

Originally posted by Taffy
Keith, calculating the efficiency of an intercooler is not quite that simple. Just because the air outside was 50 degrees does not mean the air around the IC was at 50 degrees. You have to take into account the temp of the IC at the beginning of the run, and you must also know the volume of air that was passing across the fins (outside air, not turbo air) to get a real world efficiency #.

absolutely I agree completely, but I was simply using the "easy" equation....