Air temp sensor

YoungGNowner

So the other day i was poking around my engine bay and noticed that my Air temp sensor wasnt tapped into the 3 inch intake pipe with a LT1 MAF (with translator).

Would that by any chance hurt gas mileage/performance?

At the moment i get about 12-15 mpg. But i am replacing the O2 and fuel filter to see if that brings any improvement.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Probably not. If it's reading underhood air and you're filter is exposed to underhood air it's going to be pretty close.

So the other day i was poking around my engine bay and noticed that my Air temp sensor wasnt tapped into the 3 inch intake pipe with a LT1 MAF (with translator).

Would that by any chance hurt gas mileage/performance?

At the moment i get about 12-15 mpg. But i am replacing the O2 and fuel filter to see if that brings any improvement.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
It sure will! !!!!
Air must be pulled across the sensor
For a reading
Its works with the maf to let the ecm
Know how much fuel to give
Look up a few posting on relocating the air temp sensor !

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It sure will! !!!!
Air must be pulled across the sensor
For a reading.............

I am sorry to correct you, but Earl is correct. :)

Under hood air is the same temp inside the air filter as it is entering the filter. We have proven this on many GN's especially when the car is moving.

On dyno testing we have found that remote cold air intakes actually cost HP because of restriction.

I have not yet decided where to install mine, it is hanging loose and the car runs fine. I would think with alcohol injection it would be important to have it inline due to temperature drop.

He's not talking hp. He is talking fuel mileage. On a race car.that may me true don't see how
I put a k&n on my 7.3 td left the sensor out till I could weld a plate to the cold air pipe. lost 3-4 mpg. Put it in the pipe got it all back + plus a few.
I did a relocat of the ts to the intake on my we4
My car idels better more responsive
Its getting a true reading on the temp

Maybe your rite . Maybe your tests show this. My past experience have been diff

Yup more concerned with mileage than HP at the moment. Like Cobra said,

Im honestly content with what these cars have to offer close to stock.

Also do you guys think a PROM Street chip tuned to 93 oct would help with overall efficiency?

Maybe your rite . Maybe your tests show this. My past experience have been diff....

I do agree with you on that, not all GN's are created equal, and just because something is true on one car, it can be different on another because many other items may affect performance!

One thing I have found is that just because different parts and methods are used to accomplish something, that does make it right or wrong. :)

The other thing to keep in mind, is even if the IAT is reporting something WAAAAAAAAYYYY wrong, it probably won't hurt your mileage that much. I'm no chip burner but from what I understand the fueling adjustments from the IAT aren't that drastic. I've even heard of some chip burners ignoring it completely to use the wires for something else (seems like it was something about boost logging)

If you're shooting for maximum mileage get the hottest thermostat that won't melt the engine and suck air from the hottest part of the engine compartment. That being said, both of those options will hurt your performance and longevity of a TR engine when you want to go fast.

If you're shooting for maximum mileage get the hottest thermostat that won't melt the engine and suck air from the hottest part of the engine compartment. That being said, both of those options will hurt your performance

Just turn it in to a hot air :rolleyes: lol
They got 17-20mpg.

Intercooled got. 16-26 Wonder why !

I got it just take off the exhaust and run a air duct for the dp to the turbo. U should get 50 + mpg then. Lol

The guy is asking for help no to reinvent the wheel here.

Just get the 85 mm MAF with a translator and 5pin connector with breakout for the IAT sensor. The 85mm MAF has the IAT sensor built in.

If you're shooting for maximum mileage get the hottest thermostat that won't melt the engine and suck air from the hottest part of the engine compartment. That being said, both of those options will hurt your performance

Just turn it in to a hot air :rolleyes: lol
They got 17-20mpg.

Intercooled got. 16-26 Wonder why !

I got it just take off the exhaust and run a air duct for the dp to the turbo. U should get 50 + mpg then. Lol

The guy is asking for help no to reinvent the wheel here.

the 86-87 engine has a better intake manifold, better exhaust before the turbo, and the ecm is better... the intercooler probably didn't do much- if anything- to help get better gas mileage compared to the hot air cars- in fact, it may have actually hurt the overall mpg numbers due to the ecm wanting to put in more fuel when it sees cooler air temps.
the better mpg numbers were just one of those incremental improvements that happened thru the evolution of the car over the years.

you cant compare what your other junk does and compare it to what an 80s ecm does or what a chip does
speed density based systems look at temp and even then only has a slight correction and if it had no other way to correct fueling would be off if air temp wasnt correct
the 87 ecu is MAF based and while the maf sensor for lt1 in a lt1 uses temp to correct the airflow
on the fender or in the air cleaner , the TR chip only cares if the sensor is extremely cold .
and a s nick mentioned underhood the difference in temp is negligible as most draw their air from a cone filter that is under the hood less than a foot from where the sensor would be if you left it at the fender .
and inlet temp aside the 87 TR ecu is closed loop at cruise , it looks at MAF to get an idea where to have the fueling (MAF and rpm determines which of the stored 16 blm cells to start with ) but in end it uses the O2 to maintain a 14.5 AF and will correct any fueling discrepancies cause by air temp (air density) using INT correction and then changing the BLM to get initial fueling more accurate

once your rolling which is where the mpg would come to play (when you arent moving you are getting zero mpg) the inlet and fender temp would be close to ambient