Air leak from throttle body

warlord

I just did a boost test and found a leak on the TB, by the arm that mounts to the TPS, looks like some type of o-ring... Can i replace this and if so where can i get it from
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1379010241.017382.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

http://harwal.com/product/3185

You will have to call Harwal and find a place near you that stocks them. Ordered a few pair a while back in order to keep a some for backup. They were about $7 a piece ($12 a pair) two years ago when I last bought them.

:D
I made my own tester, this should give u an idea

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Man - that is a great video.
Very clear and to the point.
And he has a good sense of humor - "He said duty"

I already made something similar out of PVC and quick couplers w/ a Filter / Regulator for checking the health of IC's that off the car and in the shop.
I used short lengths of PVC pipe with end caps - that are a little bit of a pain to put a fitting in to - since they are convex on the end. I didn't even think about just using plugs! Duh! :eek:
Also used some IC hoses that most of us have a box full of laying around.
Then keep it connected with the 25PSI and dunk the IC in a water tank - like checking a tire for leaks.

Great idea about the 3M adhesive though!

He uses a tire valve stem - which would imply connecting any air compressor to it, and give it a shot of air - just like like filling a tire..
( He probably assumed people would be smart enough to adjust the main regulator on the compressor side down from 100 to 25 PSI - or do it like filling a tire)
I made a separate Filter / Regulator with a shut off valve & quick couplers that I have permanently set at 25 PSI that I can use in-line whenever checking the boost side of things.
I think both ways are good.

This boost tester takes things one step further than my IC tester..
How cool.
Now - for a final upgrade - a smoke port! :D

Attachments

• MISC JHVFDC 015.JPG
    MISC JHVFDC 015.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
  • MISC JHVFDC 016.JPG
    MISC JHVFDC 016.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 72
This is what I use to check for air leaks. Attach to turbo intake close all valves fill with air no more then the highest boost ran.

86 Regal W-11/CC-1T Type

Attachments

• 1379185059673.jpg
    1379185059673.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 87
This is what I use to check for air leaks. Attach to turbo intake close all valves fill with air no more then the highest boost ran.

86 Regal W-11/CC-1T Type

You say "close all valves "
Which valves ? I f I may ask?
My mind started running through this boost test- 25 PSI air into the turbo compressor bell inlet-> thru the compressor housing -> thru the IC hoses -> Thru the IC; back up thru the UP pipe; -> then to the TB / Intake and wondered about the Throttle Valve Butterfly - which is not a 25 PS seal.
Wondering. :confused:

I don't think my TB butterfly will seal at 25 PSI. (No seals for such a PSI) - So how does one maintain constant pressure upstream of the TB butterfly valve to see if the TPS or IAC might be leaking? Without using some sort of 25 PSI proof block off plate before the butterfly throttle gate?