Air/Fuel ratio ?

mrose

Finally getting around to tuning the GN. what do you guys think my Targeted A/F ratio at WOT should be? I'm running the Razors Alky set up will this change anything?

Thanks Mike

A general rule of thumb is to shoot for 10.8-10.9 when running alky.

or 11.4-11.5 when NOT running alky.

Thanks TurboDave..I was shooting for 11.0 but was unsure if I need to go fatter with the Alky or not...I runs really strong with no knock at 19psi of boost but that's only been with short bursts at WOT. I'll do somemore tweaking this weekend..

Not something I'd try with my car... but your free to try it out with yours. :eek:

ive found on the dyno that with iron headed cars the AFR that produces the most power is right around 11to1 afr. any leaner and your loosing power. with alky id stay right in that same afr or go just a tad richer.. stock iron heads and dish pistons have horrid "quench" with basicly means that you have to throw more fuel at is to get all the oxygen to burn as the air/fuel doesnt mix very well

with a aluminum headed car you can make more power going leaner....even more so if you have a set of pistons that match the quench pads in the aluminum heads

A general rule of thumb is to shoot for 10.8-10.9 when running alky.

or 11.4-11.5 when NOT running alky.

You really tune it that fat on alky? This is really confusing to me. I would think with the cooling effects of alcohol that you would be tuning for numbers more similar to race gas.

The non alky numbers are what I would tune for, just surprised by the others. :confused:

I think i'm going to shoot for the 10.80, that will help me avoid lean spike when shifting also. what the hell if i get it to fat it's much easier to replace the plugs rather than pistions.

Thanks

You really tune it that fat on alky? This is really confusing to me. I would think with the cooling effects of alcohol that you would be tuning for numbers more similar to race gas.

The non alky numbers are what I would tune for, just surprised by the others. :confused:

I personally am not an alky user. I deffered to the experts on the numbers, and they tell me 10.8-10.9 on alky.

Adding alcohol skews the WB reading. For a WB to be truly accurate in reporting AFR, the ratios of hydrogen to carbon (H/C) and oxygen to carbon (O/C) ratios of the fuel are required.

The WB controller needs this information to correctly convert the sensor reading into an AFR. Even a Lambda value would need to be corrected once off of stoich.

Adding alcohol to gasoline changes the H/C and O/C ratios. Thus skewing the reading.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I think i'm going to shoot for the 10.80, that will help me avoid lean spike when shifting also. what the hell if i get it to fat it's much easier to replace the plugs rather than pistions.

Thanks
The more power and more alky injected the richer it should be. Under 500whp 10.8-11.0.1 is fine. it will make more power being leaner until it's starts melting stuff. There is not much to be gained going a little leaner. Maybe a few hp. It will easily tolerate being a lot leaner on a dyno because the time under power and load is not like making a full pass through third on the pavement. I run 10.4-10.6 for 650whp.

If you go leaner and are making any power you will soon find out how to replace pistons and repair burned decks/ melted heads and pistons. Non oxygenated race fuel can be run much leaner. Pump gas is oxygenated and you are replacing part of if with methanol which will further require richening.

If you go leaner and are making any power you will soon find out how to replace pistons and repair burned decks/ melted heads and pistons. Non oxygenated race fuel can be run much leaner. Pump gas is oxygenated and you are replacing part of if with methanol which will further require richening.

and thats the bottom line right there.............

Adding alcohol skews the WB reading. For a WB to be truly accurate in reporting AFR, the ratios of hydrogen to carbon (H/C) and oxygen to carbon (O/C) ratios of the fuel are required.

The WB controller needs this information to correctly convert the sensor reading into an AFR. Even a Lambda value would need to be corrected once off of stoich.

Adding alcohol to gasoline changes the H/C and O/C ratios. Thus skewing the reading.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Unfortunately you can't be sure what% of pump gas is co-solvent so your stoic will be varying every tank of fuel. It's easier to use the gasoline table and just shoot for conservatively richer targets.

The more power and more alky injected the richer it should be. Under 500whp 10.8-11.0.1 is fine. it will make more power being leaner until it's starts melting stuff. There is not much to be gained going a little leaner. Maybe a few hp. It will easily tolerate being a lot leaner on a dyno because the time under power and load is not like making a full pass through third on the pavement. I run 10.4-10.6 for 650whp.

Bison, are these AFR numbers for an alky and 93 octane? What would you look for with say a 50/50 mix of 93 and 110 with a dual nozzle alky kit?

Pat

Unfortunately you can't be sure what% of pump gas is co-solvent so your stoic will be varying every tank of fuel. It's easier to use the gasoline table and just shoot for conservatively richer targets.

Absolutely in agreement. Although to an O2 sensor, stoich is stoich (NB or WB). If the WB controller is set up to report 14.7:1 (Lambda = 1) for stoich, it doesn't matter what fuel is used. Even straight methanol will report 14.7:1 when run at stoich with that controller set up.

This is important to understand when using a WB setup. With any fuel the reported AFR at stoich will always be the same. This will be whatever the controller is set for, AFR wise, for Lambda = 1.

Once the AFR moves away from stoich the reading then depends upon the composition of the fuel. More so as one moves richer then leaner.

This helps explain why we are running such rich AFRs as reported by the WB.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Burning pure methanol, I get best power at 1.1 -1.2 volts on the wideband. The gasoline based readout would be 11.0-11.2:1. This is at 31 PSI boost and a BHP level of 1180-1230. Power drops off fast rich or lean of these numbers. The plugs look very safe with these numbers.
The plan is to use 10.8:1 as I test boost levels beyond 31 PSI. If the plugs show me that I can move leaner, then I'm sure I can find more power there. Reading the plugs will let me know.
Each case can be different, so stay on the rich side until you can check things out to judge whether or not you can get away with going leaner. Reading the plugs will be very important in making that decision.

If you want to stay safe and give yourself some safety margin, shoot for 10.8:1.