Aftermarket Rods??

JeremysGN

Trying to find a good set of aftermarket rods IE Eagle H beams but can't find anyone. I'd prefer not to have to spend $1000. How good are the stock rods? Looking at mid tens.

were running stock rods on several stock block cars there all in the tens, the mains are really the issue ! and detonation! these cars love fuel

Mains

Are the two center steels enough to go tens?? I'm rebuilding a motor now and planned on putting in steels w/ out the girdel.

ther'es a company called CATS that are about to release a set of rods for the 3.8, they are 4340 chromeoly with 190,000(i think) psi rod bolts, for really cheap, don't have an exact price, but do a google search for cats and you'll see what I am talking about, they may have already been released.

We Have At Least 6 Cars Running In The Mid Tens With Stock Rods,i Would Just Put The Mains In For What Your Looking For!

kmart17 said:
ther'es a company called CATS that are about to release a set of rods for the 3.8, they are 4340 chromeoly with 190,000(i think) psi rod bolts, for really cheap, don't have an exact price, but do a google search for cats and you'll see what I am talking about, they may have already been released.

Anyone have any experience with their parts? Seems like they have a nice crank too.

I've gone 10.69 on stock rods and literally hundreds of high 10/low 11 second passes without problems.

once in a while you will find buick motorsport rods on ebay motors thats what i used and havent had any problems. they are a H beam rod. then put some arp rod bolts in them.

I haven't run their parts because until recently they didn't carry parts for Buick V6's. The consensus from my machine shop guys is that their Chevy parts are not quite on par with Eagle and Scat but not bad for the price. FWIW, I inquired about the Buick V6 rods about a year ago and they didn't have any, I spoke the the guy at CAT about 3 weeks ago and they still don't have any. Don't hold your breath. As far as rods go I wouldn't put stock rods into a motor if you're shooting for mid 10's or quicker it's just not worth the gamble.

Neal

TTA850 said:
Anyone have any experience with their parts? Seems like they have a nice crank too.

I've gone 10.69 on stock rods and literally hundreds of high 10/low 11 second passes without problems.

750H.P.V6 said:
As far as rods go I wouldn't put stock rods into a motor if you're shooting for mid 10's or quicker it's just not worth the gamble.

Neal

have to agree with that

yes I've been faster myself on stock rods but it dont always turn out too good :eek:

Cheap...Fast...Reliable
Pick two, cause you aint gonna get all three! I popped for the billet Crower rods from TA Performance. Its still cheaper than building a new motor.

I must have the = of more than a 1000 mid 11 second passes and I have let it knock a bit. I have 300,000 + miles on my rods. :eek:

Is there really that fine a line? Now I'm scared!

Blown&Injected said:
I must have the = of more than a 1000 mid 11 second passes and I have let it knock a bit. I have 300,000 + miles on my rods. :eek:

Is there really that fine a line? Now I'm scared!

I don't think the stock rods are an issue till you try going faster than mid 10's.

As long as the tune is good.

as far as building a fast motor I am against fancy cranks and rods, stock stuff will be just fine, but if someone wants peace of mind go aftermarket, personally if I can build a strong long block that has mostly a stock rotating assembly for $700 well i guess I can go through about 7 or 8 of those before I catch up to those paying somebody 5-6 grand for a good motor that probably won't last 50,000 miles, just my opinion though, but if you don't have the resources to build your own motor right, guess that's what you have to do ;)

Yeah, pretty much determined that I'm going w/ polished stocks since there is not an affordable way to run anything else.