AFR and E85....What are you aiming for?

Rafs-T-Type

Not so Senior Member
I run my E85 car at about a 10.3 AFR WOT and she runs just fine, granted I know I can lean her out some. I have have read into it some and it seems like people prefer to be about a 9.5 or so. I have also read that you can lean in out quit a bit without knock, but E85 in general likes to be run on the rich side. Of course we all know this won't be true all the time.

I run my E85 car at about a 10.3 AFR WOT and she runs just fine, granted I know I can lean her out some. I have have read into it some and it seems like people prefer to be about a 9.5 or so. I have also read that you can lean in out quit a bit without knock, but E85 in general likes to be run on the rich side. Of course we all know this won't be true all the time.

11.2 to 11.4 afr for me. 97% dc at 20 psi on my setup with the 79lb injectors

Eric " turbotweak" told me he runs around 11.5 afr on his E85 car

What is your injector dc % at 10.3? that sounds super fat to me.

Ooops...I said lean it to 9.5 didn't I:redface:. I meant around where you're at...more in the 11's. Anyway I have seen my injectors go as high as I think a spike to 93 at 27ibs or so. Sounds like your about ready for an upgrade there :eek:

I ran my old car that was e85 on a dyno at both 11.5 and 10.8 and it maid more power at the richer setting.

Alky is gone, around 25- 26psi.

What's your IDC at that point? I'm already at around high 80's at 24 PSI :eek: I'm hoping that thinning the tune a little may help. Otherwise I might have to get alky or 160's. Then again I plan on ditching my turbo sometime soon and going with a BB, so I should probably wait til I do that before I start messing with the rest of my combo

I try to keep it safe around the max rich power of 10.8 AF/R Gas Scale. With Meth on top I'm currently at 10.2 AF/R.

Tom J, when you made it fatter did just the torque go up or both the TQ and HP? I've seen the TQ go up on FI and Big Blocks when the E85 AF/R was under 11 vs the mid/high 11 AFR etc. Imports seem to make more HP when it leans out into the 11's.

I try to keep it safe around the max rich power of 10.8 AF/R Gas Scale. With Meth on top I'm currently at 10.2 AF/R.

Tom J, when you made it fatter did just the torque go up or both the TQ and HP? I've seen the TQ go up on FI and Big Blocks when the E85 AF/R was under 11 vs the mid/high 11 AFR etc. Imports seem to make more HP when it leans out into the 11's.

I assume you meant when the torque went up, the HP went down :confused: If so thats kinda nutz and very interesting. A sacrifice in HP for more torque would generally be worth the trade off.....right? All and all I'm a little confused as what you are trying to say in your post. I know you know more than I though so could you be a pal and rephrase it? Thanks :cool:

Also I assume you ran your car at one point with E85 and no meth. If so what boost level and what IDC?

Both went up, but TQ went up more

Tom you don't happen to have those Dyno print outs do you to post?
For some reason very few believe that E85 FI TQ engines make MORE power when near or sub 11 AF/R vs the leaner mixtures.

Reason I initially asked was because a few dyno before and afters had the HP barely move up, yet the peak TQ went up much more.

Tom you don't happen to have those Dyno print outs do you to post?
For some reason very few believe that E85 FI TQ engines make MORE power when near or sub 11 AF/R vs the leaner mixtures.

Reason I initially asked was because a few dyno before and afters had the HP barely move up, yet the peak TQ went up much more.

Sorry I don't:(