Aem Ems

It would work. You need to get the race kit and splice your own wires. They are not about to make a kit for the Buicks, there are too many other cars that they are making kits for, like the SR20DET powered 240sx.

sounds good, i wonder how it would work with the buicks, and how hard that would be to do? i wonder if i could use the same EMS in the evolution MR im going to buy when it comes out????

TTT

i would love to do this, as i plan on buying an AEM EMS for my future evolution. would like to hook it up to the GN first. more info is appreciated.

I recently built a stand-alone engine harness using the AEM computer. It's a slick device, lots of inputs and outputs and definitely possible. There are a few out there that use the system on the turbo engines.

-John Spina

www.casperselectronics.com

John,

Is there any way you could wire one up for me so I could give the AEM EMS a try in my car? How much would something like that cost me? THanks,

Bryan

Reply from AEM

We have looked into the Buick GN application. It is not a straightforward application. The big issue is the ignition module. The Cam/Crank sensors are routed through this module and then to the ECU. There is also a 5volt trigger that switches the ignition from cranking to running. The ignition control unit on these cars is easily damaged and they are not cheap to replace. So at this time we don't have any solution to running this igniton. There are a couple of people out there running an EMS on the Buick, but they are not using the stock ignition system.

AEM has a new wasted spark system that is fully contained. It will be able to replace the stock set up.

The set up is very similiar to the TEC II/III systems, but the AEM coils are wound differently.

They are not yet available though. Very soon they will be relaesed.

1987BuickGrandN said:
We have looked into the Buick GN application. It is not a straightforward application. The big issue is the ignition module. The Cam/Crank sensors are routed through this module and then to the ECU. There is also a 5volt trigger that switches the ignition from cranking to running. The ignition control unit on these cars is easily damaged and they are not cheap to replace. So at this time we don't have any solution to running this igniton. There are a couple of people out there running an EMS on the Buick, but they are not using the stock ignition system.

Yes but those issues are no biggie really. The Bypass can simply be hardwired. The crank and cam only run through the coil module because it needs them too. They can be separated.

TurboTR

Sounds like too much hassle, i still say you can;t beat the gen 7+ for the dollar spent. 1200 and 200 for a lc-1 wide band and you have a wb seq box set up with knock retard and alot of extras. ;)