Advanced Auto parts Warranty Warning!!

klrv6

Have a burnout party!!!
Advanced doesn't seem to honor any lifetime warranty for parts sold before 2002. I went to exchange a CV shaft (with a lifetime warranty) for my Sentra (driving it to BG this weekend) and was told that there is no record of my purchase :mad: What!! I have dozens of purchases all with "lifetime warranty" they are all gone!! Do know how many times I purchased those lifetime crap brake pads? They just upgraded all the computers and didn't have enough room for all the old data, so only parts purchased after 2002 are on record. If you have a local adavnced auto, give them a call and see what is on record for you, provided you have purchased "lifetime warranty" parts. I'm done ranting for now:mad: :mad: :mad: I'm off to install my new AutoZone CV shaft!

I'm assuming you have no receipts or records of your own of this lifetime warranty??

That sounds like they just didn't want to honor if you didn't have proof. To just say OK, we're not honoring anything pre-2002 is a dangerous move for a major company.

Buyer beware.

That sucks BUT - It's not their responsibility to keep track of your purchases.
If you had a receipt, they couldn't refuse to honor the warranty.
They require a record because the warranty only applys to the original purchaser.

Documentation is the key.

In a Buick regal I had I went threw about 7 alternators (in 1 ½ yrs.) from Advanced Auto parts. Lucky I had a lifetime warranty. I no longer have the car but, I learned my lesson any time I need a dependable part for my cars I go to NAPA.:D

No receipts needed

I was told by the guy behind the counter that they only need to have it logged in the computer about the purchase. I remember asking and being told not to worry about keeping any papers. They claim that it's better so I can get replacement parts nationwide. AutoZone has no problems pulling up parts I bought almost nine years ago. Do you keep records of every single part you purchase? I have owned & repaired so many cars, I can't imagine keeping up with every transaction.

go to O'Reillys we got a price match plus 5% and we store all our **** on a company wide network that makes that problem impossible

Re: No receipts needed

Originally posted by klrv6
Do you keep records of every single part you purchase? I have owned & repaired so many cars, I can't imagine keeping up with every transaction.

Every part with a warranty - YES. Cataloged in file folders.
I learned a long time ago to rely on NO one for accurate records/paper work. Documentation is also a major part of my job so it creeps over in to every day life

Re: Re: No receipts needed

Originally posted by zam70
Every part with a warranty - YES. Cataloged in file folders.
I learned a long time ago to rely on NO one for accurate records/paper work. Documentation is also a major part of my job so it creeps over in to every day life

I agree. I have files for the GN, the Roadmaster and my wife's Prizm and I still have files for cars and trucks I sold long ago. I even keep most of my oil and filter receipts. Doing this has saved my wallet many times and it really isn't hard to get into the habit of doing. An ounce of prevention........... :D

Advance took over Discount Auto Parts...was it a DAP part or Advance? Definitely never rely on someone else to record keep for you.

Tell you what, those thermal receipts from autozone, homedepot, etc fade away to unreadable after awhile, I brought up that subject at Autozone and was told the same thing, 'its ok cause we have the records in our computer'

Even when I had a receipt, they would search the computer looking for the info before they would exchange it, if it was bought when I lived somewhere else, they would keep looking under phone numbers till they found it, so the receipt obviously isnt a total safeguard.

Since Advance took over Discount Auto parts, the prices have gone up quite a bit. I used Discount 95% of the time before the takeover. If you have a choice to go to either store, you should price them out. You'll be surprised how much more Advance wants for the same thing.

Discount also sold a lot of off brand inferior quality parts too. Advance does not.

If you have an issue with a warranty item prior to 2 years ago simply ask to speak to the manager...explain the situation and then if you still cannot get any resolution ask for the telephone number to contact his or her Division Manager.

warranty

Sorry your own fault for not keeping your own records and receipts. The parts houses take no responsibility to keep track of YOUR paperwork required for warrranty replacement. Advance has always been my number one choice in this area. Good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good.:cool:

NAPA has done a great job of marketing themselves as carrying higher quality parts. They have done such a good job that if NAPA and Advance carry the same item with the same part number from the same vendor...some knuckleheads will still swear the NAPA part is better. I can't speak for AZone but I know the Line Card at Advance is pretty impressive. Very good quality parts.

I would have to agree about NAPA being better.

Why buy Crappy parts from Advanced auto & have to keep changing the part in & out. When maybe the NAPA item would last longer making less fustration.

When Advance Auto would not take back a new pilot bearing still in the package I wrote a big ole letter to the district manager via the web.. I got a free $25 certificate in the mail. Used it to buy oil & stuff that would not need returning & NEVER WENT BACK!

Pisses me off that I misplaced yet another Advance Auto receipt - I should have learned my lesson about always seeming to need them AA receipts :( :mad: :eek:

If AA and NAPA parts are the same, where can one find higher quality without going to the dealer? It seems like many of the various shops are selling the same cheap junk.

But now that I think about it, I seem to remember seeing parts from Bendix and some other firms that seem to have a good rep???

Cheap parts

I guess the Sentra will start getting NAPA or better parts. I would always buy things like SensaTracs and stuff where ever I could find the best price. I am now keeping a folder for each vehicle I own and scanning all information into my computer.

Hey guys, I work at Napa.......lol........yes, we have good parts........any questions ask me. :)