BWD Coil and Ign Module from Advance Auto

motrhed87

So my Scamaster was showing some screwy numbers for about a week, registering up to 10* of KR at start up and lasting for a minute or 2. Then all of a sudden the other day I felt a slight stumble and then the car just died. Engine would crank but wouldnt restart. Pop the hood and I could see molten plastic oozing from the coil pack. Guess the ignition module went belly up and caused the coil to constantly fire and overheat. Luckily Advance Auto was able to get me the BWD ignition module and coil pack the next day. Total for both parts was only $121...they let me use a 30% online coupon in the store. The parts #'s are E45P for the coil and CBE 100P for the module. Installed them this morning and the car fired right up, idles fine, and the tach is reading fine according to the Scanmaster. And the funny readings on the Scanmaster are gone. BTW both parts have a lifetime warranty so just save the receipt and you'll never have to pay for these again.

I just replaced mine with the same ignition module. Mine was failing to fire at wot. Fixed my issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I am running one from O riley,s and so far so good ,BWD version module

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The BWD brand of parts are the best that i have found that work good on our turbo regals. In the past the Wells brand from Autozone was all i used, but they stopped using them for a supply source so i took all the parts that had a lifetime warranty on them back to Autozone and got a refund and went to O'Reilly's and bought the BWD parts.

The only part i use from Autozone that still works good and has a lifetime warranty is the ignition module DR143.

Does anyone know the difference between the CBE 100 and CBE 100P or the E45 and E45P? What does the "P" mean?

They told me they were just new part numbers but the units are identical, and much cheaper.

I replaced my coil pac and module from a parts store also. ...it was getting real hot after driving...replacedit with a Caspers coil an module and high temps stopped...don't waste time and dough with cheap parts stores....imo

Not to rain on anyone's parade just offering my experience. I was up at Richard's this past May for nationals and had an issue with stutter and popping at WOT. Tested my coil pack at Richard's and it was bad. I went through a number of coil packs bought at the local parts stores including a Borg Warner and none of them could pass the bench test. Ended up getting the "heavy duty" coil pack from GBody who was on site there and it has worked fine.

My problem turned out to be wires. Not ignition module. Sorry!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I just ordered the Borg units to try them out. Car currently has Type 2 coils that I do not trust 100%.

It's been a really long time since I was coil/module hunting and I also have a Casper's tester (although I think it no longer works) from back when I was always in search of good strong units. BUT - it sounds to me like there is really no 100% surefire (no pun) way to buy a good coil/module set up unless you do the TR6. So until then, I may just play the automotive aftermarket game and return/exchange them when they fail or get weak.

FWIW, at one time I had dozens of used units from various OEM's and there seemed to me little rhyme or reason while some worked and others didn't. I weeded out and tossed the bad ones to have some known good spares on hand.

They told me they were just new part numbers but the units are identical, and much cheaper...............................
There is no way the cheaper one is identical to the expensive one? :(

They may look the same on the outside, but the parts inside are not only of lesser quality but they sometimes use "substitute" parts that try to do the same thing as original parts. We found this out years ago with various suppliers on many makes of cars, and now we have the hit-and-miss parts coming out of China?

The counter people are "sales types", you get a much different story from the tech reps which you will never find in a chain parts store.

. I was up at Richard's this past May for nationals and had an issue with stutter and popping at WOT.
I was also there at the same time and my module went out on the dyno , that`s when I went looking for a module and all parts houses in Burlington had sold out , so I drove up the Greensboro and found a module at Orilley`s and its still on the car now with a heavy duty coil from Highway stars and working like a charm now , figure crossed .

UPDATE: Took the car out yesterday for the first drive since swapping the coil and module and the car does not feel 100%. Just ordered the AC Delco coil and module from Rockauto for $280 shipped and will be getting my money back from Advance.

Good luck with that one.....check the temp after running for a while if you have infared tester. Those ac delcos are sketchy....if that fails caspers coil n mod are trusworthy..many of chi guys have them...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Save your pennies and figure what your time swapping out coils/modules is worth and get the TR6. I use the simple Silverado 4.3L coil and even use the Silverado plug wires too; about $60 each. I opened up my plug gap to .040 from .030 and still have no spark blowout at 30psi. :)

Ive had good success with coil packs/ign module from Napa. Ive had several coil packs fail right out of box at Advance and the Zone, even had them check them at the store and failed. Its been a couple yrs since Ive had to replace them and no problems since. Just my experience.

Save your pennies and figure what your time swapping out coils/modules is worth and get the TR6. I use the simple Silverado 4.3L coil and even use the Silverado plug wires too; about $60 each. I opened up my plug gap to .040 from .030 and still have no spark blowout at 30psi. :)

So just to clarify, you're running 6 seperate coils with Bob Baileys tr6 ignition?

So just to clarify, you're running 6 seperate coils with Bob Baileys tr6 ignition?

Nope. I run one coil pack from a 2008 4.3L 1500 Silverado. It's similar to our stock packs with three coils tied together in one housing so each coil runs two plugs with wastespark etc like a stock setup. The only coil you need is $60 plus the TR6 box. It packs a heck of a punch over the stock setup.

Went through 2 different advance coil packs. First one lasted a month or so. The last one was junk out of the box. Returned with no questions asked. That was nice, but I can't keep returning good coilpacks that are ment for everyday non modded cars. So, got the accel HO from Gbody parts and will test it today.
BTW,
The BWD unit I just pulled off broke a terminal connector . And I was very gentle with it. I guess ill get in store credit for this one.

I broke one of the connectors on my module as well and they took it back no questions. I just said it was flimsy.