Advanced Auto parts MAF

Texas gn

I am dealing with an engine Pop every now and then when I stab the throttle rolling in 2nd or third gear. Per my last post some time back it sounds like the Factory MAF might be going bad causing a lean back fire. This is unacceptable especially if there is a mustang beside me on an open road…..In any case I don’t have one around to test so I thought I might try a 50 dollar unit from Advanced Auto. Or is this just a waste of time and money…Thanks

Start the engine. Unplug the cam sensor. Go for a ride. See if it still pops.
See , i didn't know the thing would even run with the cam sensor unpluged! I will try that this evening...if it goes away i take it i am dealing with a cam sensor issue. Thank you for your help TurboRick......

Also, give it a rap with a screwdriver or wrench, while it is idling. If it stumbles the maf is bad.

Back in the old days the magic number for parts store MAF's was 12. What that means is, it usually took 12 tries to get one that is calibrated halfway close.

The translator with a modern MAF blows every other MAF out of the water.

I was told by a reputable mechanic to tap the MAF. If there is ANY, EVER SO SLIGHT jump, hesitation, miss, etc. then the MAF was no good. And if your MAF is no good, then save yourself some heartaches and headaches (but not $$$) and buy the Translator and newer MAF.

Start the engine. Unplug the cam sensor. Go for a ride. See if it still pops.
Still popped as soon as i stab it with the cam sensor unplugged. Even tapped on the MAF while it was running and it seamed to be ok. Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Could be a dead spot in Throttle Position Sensor. A scan tool would show it. Put it in record mode and go for a drive. If TPS volts drop to -0- and then go back up you found your problem.

Is this a intermittent pop? Or is it rhythmic with rpm every time you get to a certain level?

Is this a intermittent pop? Or is it rhythmic with rpm every time you get to a certain level?
only happens when i "stomp it to the floor" It pops right away (the last time it happed it blew the pcv valve out of the intake) then i get out of the throttle it goes away. If i easy into the throttle i don't have any issues.

Could be a dead spot in Throttle Position Sensor. A scan tool would show it. Put it in record mode and go for a drive. If TPS volts drop to -0- and then go back up you found your problem.
I will log it tonight and check....

You can ohm the coil, which isn't even a conclusive test, but not the ignition module, which the coil sits on.

Blew out of the intake? Do you still have stock valve covers and breathers? The PCV should not see that kind of pressure.

If you stay in the throttle, does it continue to pop. Like pop pop pop pop pop?

Rick