A ute (truck) from down under

Along the way it also had a fuel system upgrade and battery relocation.
Battery was moved to the tray and a surge tank, 044 and reg were fitted there as well. Injectors were 42lb as I 'planned' to only run 8-12psi

So I finally got it running. Not well, mind you and the damn comp cam oer lifters make a hell of a racket, even within preload specs. It was idling around 1400rpm

And on the dyno it seemed louder just because of the reverb in a dyno room.

Now the first time it was on the dyno, we just started seeing boost and the compressor cover blew off, the circlip hadn't seated fully.

So the turbo was rebuilt with a new compressor wheel and it was put on the dyno again.

Sadly this day I was at work and they had a few small issues. No 1 was that the wastegate on this thing just doesn't control boost as its only venting from one scroll of the turbine. Even with them holding the wastegate open from idle it still was only limiting at 17psi haha.

Now the graph is a little hard to read but heres the idea, 3000rpm - 145rwhp, 3500-200 (which was original max hp), 4000-300, 4500-410, 5000-470, 5600-497rwhp

A terrible little boost and hp graph i drew. Boost is x10 so you can see it haha

Last edited:
Awesome! I always liked the aussie chassis cars but the US has stupid import laws so theres no chance of importing them. There is so much more room under the hood for turbo stuff than firebird/camaro.

Very cool build! The cylinder heads flow really well with the stock valves in it. I'm not a big fan of putting larger valves into cylinder heads that flow half way decent anyways, unless it is a max effort build. Any specs on the camshaft?

Yeah I like the idea of having more meat left.

So the other issue with tuning happened when I arrived after work. It started misfiring. I checked leads and all seemed ok. Got it towed home and pulled plugs and got a surprise.

Also found the turbo to have seized which was wierd. Pulled the turbo and came free suddenly. Pulled the exhaust housing and out fell a little chunk.

I So i pretty much knew it was dying. Made me a little scared considering it'd been ramped slightly on the dyno afterwards and run onto the truck and into the yard.

Pulled the passenger head and surprise surprise

Some how the bore and head is all perfect. No damage.

Last edited:
So I decided to pull the engine and go all out. Took it to a local engine builder, he makes many high hp ford 4L inline motors (high power for us ~1000rwhp)
I decided to go with a 4.2L COME racing stroker kit. Billet crank, billet rods and forged diamond pistons. Arp studded bottom and. New valves in the heads. Also showed me how close it came to going bang.

It cracked gudgeon to gudgeon.

It's a reversed factory intake. They cut the side out and weld it on the other side

So i shoved the motor back in and connected it all.

I also decided to put decent injectors in it. 1000cc bosch

This was back in 2013, as a rough idea haha

I then got it on the dyno after chucking a shorter set of pushrods in it. It quietened the lifter noise a bit.
4.2 idle shorter pushrods:
20130810 154341: