a T-Type is NOT a Grand National

Never miss an opportunity to educate on our cars fellas! If we don't, we can expect to continue to hear all the myths, urban legends, and mistruths. Set the record straight as learning is contagious. If you adhere to this approach, make sure you are knowledgeable as well before you spout off incorrect info. :cool:

I had a hell of a time explaining to people why my 89 Turbo Trans Am had a Grand National motor in it. I would always get the nice GTA.

When I go to a car show i usually see 4 Grand Nationals and i am the only person with the Grey Regal Turbo T/GN/GNX.

I own GNX # 742. It came factory with twin turbo chargers and front brake lock outs. This was one of the 605 GNX's that where delivered to the owner through the dealer without the coil pack because the govt. made it illegal to sell these turn key to the general public due to fears that some of them would make it over seas and get into the wrong hands being they where the fastest production ground vehicle on the planet at the time. Ran 10:8's right from the factory with no mods. Of course it was easy to go out and buy the coil pack and install it. I had it mothballed while I served in Vietnam. I flew fighter jets over there. When I got back (lost a leg and my small intestine) I found out it had been seized by the FBI so they could use it for Drug enforcement. I was down with that so I decided to let them use it for as long as they needed. Fortunetly they only put about a 100 miles on it so that brought the total mileage up to 202. I just purchased a low mile 1998 Buick Grand National so I'm probably going to sell my GNX. Thought about putting it on ebay but don't know if I want to deal with all the idiots who don't know anything about these cars asking their stupid questions. You wouldn't believe how full of crap some of these people out there are.

Does that car have the flux compacitor option on it. If so you have 1 of 2 that were Built. I Believe Elvis had bought the other car before he moved to Kalamazoo.

Red Regal T said:
Some guy asked me today if my Red T was a Grand National.......I said yes! :frown:

Same with me tonight, i was waiting to race a 5.0 mustang on my left at a red light and the guys in the car to the right asked if my car was a GN... EDIT:
They actually asked if it was a 87 Grand National..

I had only 3 seconds to explain it... I took 2.9 seconds to say, You betch yur azz it is... and a split second later the light changed green.

I win!

BW

I get the "Nice Grand National" alot too, and also I get that my car is a green color alot instead of the dark blue it is and I don't see how people see green in it!

they are coor blind duh! They cant see the diff and think they saw green :D I not lying! honest!

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
Same with me tonight, i was waiting to race a 5.0 mustang on my left at a red light and the guys in the car to the right asked if my car was a GN... EDIT:
They actually asked if it was a 87 Grand National..

I had only 3 seconds to explain it... I took 2.9 seconds to say, You betch yur azz it is... and a split second later the light changed green.

I win!

BW

That about sums it up! Bought the car new, spent a few years trying to explain what my T-Type was, "...it's like a Grand National, but different colors and rims..." now I just agree and let the tail lights talk. The only car the average person with any car knowledge knows is the GN. Time will tell if the production numbers bring the T-Types the better bucks.
And if you want to piss someone off call their Impala SS the "SS Impala"

my eyes burn. LOL. has anyone posted a way to tell the difference between a t-type and GN by VIN number?

i'd read through this site.. but i've been working for three days straight. i'm exhausted. just bought a "GN" but wonder if i got taken a bit, as i just realized CarFax lists it as a T-Type.

X??

View.aspx

Who cares?

Take your Prozac....Call the dr, if your condition doesn't improve in 10 yrs.

I own GNX # 742. It came factory with twin turbo chargers and front brake lock outs. This was one of the 605 GNX's that where delivered to the owner through the dealer without the coil pack because the govt. made it illegal to sell these turn key to the general public due to fears that some of them would make it over seas and get into the wrong hands being they where the fastest production ground vehicle on the planet at the time. Ran 10:8's right from the factory with no mods. Of course it was easy to go out and buy the coil pack and install it. I had it mothballed while I served in Vietnam. I flew fighter jets over there. When I got back (lost a leg and my small intestine) I found out it had been seized by the FBI so they could use it for Drug enforcement. I was down with that so I decided to let them use it for as long as they needed. Fortunetly they only put about a 100 miles on it so that brought the total mileage up to 202. I just purchased a low mile 1998 Buick Grand National so I'm probably going to sell my GNX. Thought about putting it on ebay but don't know if I want to deal with all the idiots who don't know anything about these cars asking their stupid questions. You wouldn't believe how full of crap some of these people out there are.
hello peoples: And hello Vietnam Vet. I just missed that war as I remember the draft just ended for me.
I'd like to see that your twin turbo GNX. A factory twin GNX should get some $$$. I can't remember the TT I've seen here are factory or not? Tell me you owned that car at your home and it got seized? That ain't wright!
But I have a two tone T and a comment I get is did you paint that GN like that? It's just takes a conversation to get em straight but that's how it is.
IBBY

my eyes burn. LOL. has anyone posted a way to tell the difference between a t-type and GN by VIN number?

i'd read through this site.. but i've been working for three days straight. i'm exhausted. just bought a "GN" but wonder if i got taken a bit, as i just realized CarFax lists it as a T-Type.

The VIN won't specify between a GN and a T-type. The 8th digit (I think) should be a 7 which specifies a 3.8L turbo motor. I beilve a Y dictates a 5.0L turd.

Your OK if it's an 86. 86GNs were refered to as Ttypes on the title.

Best way to tell is on the RPO tag on the decklid. You chould se a WE2 option code which means a GN.

there all turbo buicks, if you think your being slighted cause someone is using the incorrect terminology, I have no idea what you can do,
I have a t type, and a We4, if I try to explain to the uninformed what they are ,all I get is a blank look, so its easier to just say GN,
as you said , they all have the same drive train, ( or did have)
its just my 2 cents, no offense, just I have more things to concern myself with.
good luck
cruzn57
and
Who cares?

X2!...Exactly!... :rolleyes:

Claude.

wow,
this was a forgotten thread i started when i was a "newbie" myself....over the years i hoped i helped alot of members.i remember that day searching ebay for GN's and kept pulling T ads.....sooo....
this thread was to encourage members to educate anyone who calls our cars the wrong model...why so many got offended and decided to just post up jokes and their smart a$$ comments,i have no idea...grow up....
unsubsribe and let those who truly wish to help others do so....done venting...

like already posted,look for we2 code on the sid label under deck lid...all GN's came with chrome gn wheels,silver and black interior,rear spoiler,and gn badging.....hth.

Correct, the reason cars on ebay are LISTED as grand nationals is because there is not a section for the turbo regals. People list them as GNs and usually in the description they mention that the car isnt a GN, just a plain Turbo regal.

Nice comments

BW

Good point it also applies to various websites if you are searching for specific turbo regal parts the general heading usually says Grand National.

As any T-Type or Turbo-T owner realizes is in the scheme of things (value wise) even though it may not be true yet, they are the rarer examples and at the very least are easier to keep clean over a black car.

I am not knocking GNs, as readers know I have had more than just a token few....just stating my thoughts.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Limiteds rule HA! HA!

I just call mine a regal like all the rest because thats all they are. They were all made on the same assembly line with the same parts by the same people.
The way I look at it in 30 or 40 years whats going to be worth more a car that they made 22,000 of that only came in black or the one they only made 1035 of with a lot more options and colors:eek: Talk about stirring the pot uh. lmao

Here's another comment that ruffles everones feathers. Our 87 Turbo Regals aren't "Turbo T"s. The Turbo T was the WE4 but who cares if you have a GN, right?

Regardles, I would pay T-type price for a GN anyday.