A suggestion !

turbolou

Lou's Automotive 949-378-1590
This is probably more suited for the tech forum. But it has occurred to me lately & most recently when one of my sons suffered a cracked cly.head some piston ring & head gasket fatigue as to what is going on with others here as well.That I read about from time to time. Some of the old guys that have been around probably understand this. But when you have an engine tuned with high boost on the ragged edge especially, every time you hit the throttle one needs to imagine a blow torch scenario attacking every moving part in that engine, especially the pieces just mentioned. When you put a car on a dyno or hot lap the **** out of it on the street enormous thermal stress's & elevated oil temps. are at play. Inter coolers,oil coolers & enhanced cooling systems certainty help but only to a point. I just don't think some realize these basic facts when out there going for joy rides.There is nothing I or anyone else can build that will stand up to these kinds of abuse. Now excuse me my wine glass needs another refill.

I have learned over the years that you can not HOT LAP these cars and expect them to live. If anyone is doing this, shame on you. But hey, it's your car do as you please. If something gave way, I hope you have learned a valuable lesson as you are probably now having the engine gone through.

Even when I won the Mustangs vs The World shoot out in the 7.0 class at Barona Drags, I was very hesistant to run my car back to back, due to the excessive wear and tear on the engine. I was lucky that nothing gave way. Granted I was only running 22-23 psi with a huge 6776 turbo, which is hardly working, but, I ran it back to back and didn't let it cool down before laps. I was watching every gauge I had closely for detonation and what not. This was the only time I have done this in over 10 years.

Lou, I think I know which son it was:wink:

This is probably more suited for the tech forum. But it has occurred to me lately & most recently when one of my sons suffered a cracked cly.head some piston ring & head gasket fatigue as to what is going on with others here as well.That I read about from time to time. Some of the old guys that have been around probably understand this. But when you have an engine tuned with high boost on the ragged edge especially, every time you hit the throttle one needs to imagine a blow torch scenario attacking every moving part in that engine, especially the pieces just mentioned. When you put a car on a dyno or hot lap the **** out of it on the street enormous thermal stress's & elevated oil temps. are at play. Inter coolers,oil coolers & enhanced cooling systems certainty help but only to a point. I just don't think some realize these basic facts when out there going for joy rides.There is nothing I or anyone else can build that will stand up to these kinds of abuse. Now excuse me my wine glass needs another refill.

Flaco: I hope you listening!!!, I think he just saw your video on the kill section of you going against the cobra, this is pretty much a warning from LOU and he is also telling you in not so many words that your warranty is over. LOL well said LOU..

Flaco: I hope you listening!!!, I think he just saw your video on the kill section of you going against the cobra, this is pretty much a warning from LOU and he is also telling you in not so many words that your warranty is over. LOL well said LOU..

Sure.... if you only knew. :cool:

Lol. Well on a good note, I'm happy to report my Lou Czarnota engine is running better than ever.:)

I wish I had more chances to abuse my turbo lou built engine! It's done everything I hoped it'd do so far! Thanks Lou!!!

As far as engine builds go, there is no such thing as indestructible. There is an equilibrium between the engine and the driver, you've gotta take care of a high performance engine. That, or you have a couple other options: pay for new engines, or learn to do the work yourself. Either way, it's gonna cost.

Lol. Well on a good note, I'm happy to report my Lou Czarnota engine is running better than ever.:)

X2
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ve.../277810-another-great-lou-czarnota-motor.html
Three and a half years, many hundreds of floggings of 500+ HP on the street, dyno, and mid ten second passes on pump gas and alky. My Mutton Motor has never been apart and is running stronger than ever. When properly built, these little motors can handle some crazy power. IMO, Three things will kill these motors in no time.

#1 BEING STUPID!
#2 Heat
#3 Detonation

If one can get a handle on #1, then #2, #3 wont be a problem.;):D

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Andy, you have irons right?

Yup.

Im going to let the chicken rooster take care of you and when he is done i will have the left overs. :cool:

Honestly chicken won't touch me. My car had an old school fuel set up that was never designed to hang with the power its making now. New updated pump set up has been installed but the damage was done. Now that all is well the alky is topped off and boost has been brought down to 20. Everytime I floor it I get 0 nock and 02s are 800s. The new cam pappa Lou put in really complimented the combo. So yeah neither you or chicken worry me.... :eek:

Oh almost forgot. When I got the heads I did a dyno run and a week later I hit fontana for a wopping three runs all at least and hour or more apart so no hot lapping.

In the end.... "if you wanna play you gotta pay", as they say. If one is not ready to accept this then this hobby is not for you. Sooner or later everyone will experience some sort of major failure related to racing...whether it's your fault or not.

In the end.... "if you wanna play you gotta pay", as they say. If one is not ready to accept this then this hobby is not for you. Sooner or later everyone will experience some sort of major failure related to racing...whether it's your fault or not.

Very true.
If your not breaking something, your not pushing it hard enough. ;)

Just try not to break any more stuff than you need to.:cool:

Mike B.

I'll pipe in from the Incheon airport...that's where I be right now....

My Czarnota 6 won't die....largely because I listen to Lou...and Spoolfool2....
I'm a real world torture chamber.

The only time I gave myself trouble was when I kept screwing around while the motor was hot (200+ deg)....messed up my head gaskets a tad. That qualified my for #1 on Spoolfooll's list.
After that, I stopped messing around when it was hot and...no problems at all.

I,m not picking on anyone in particular. Lets just say this is an extension of my last tech session & addressing this to newcomers. it's up to us old timers to pass the knowledge along. Some folks aren't aware of what these turbo motors go through every time the throttle is hit. When I was racing my TT super stock car years ago I had EGT sensors by each exhaust port 1900 degrees at 30# boost is what I would see. At the turbos about 1600. Necessity dictates anywhere from 18 to 26 degrees of timing which is a late burn in the combustion chamber & carried into the exhaust post. There is an inferno going on inside the heads. The cracked head was from Champion & Tom didn't have to but he gave me two fresh heads for shipping & very little cost. He is a class guy to deal with & again don't hold him responsible for abuse. Plus when you port the heads you remove material that weakens them. Actually in essence when the engine is bored , crank turned ,block decked etc those pieces are weakened also & then we go ahead & double the H.P. & stress. It's no wonder parts fail. I just want my customers & anyone else to think about this. There are only so many WOT passes in one of these poor engines before they are used up.

I think it's true to say the harder you run things the shorter they will last. The better you tune things the less carnage you will have. Not trying to keep anyone from having their fun but folks have to realize that it ultimatley comes at a price. Lou is right on the mark with his comments.

Neal