A few Weather Stripping Questions

Luke

Hi,

I just purchased my second Turbo Buick. It’s an ’87 Grand National with the typical badly leaking T-tops. I want to replace all the weather stripping the right way. I’ve read on the forum that anything other than genuine GM weather stripping isn’t worth it but the only GM weather stripping I can find is $429.00 at NOS4GN (forum won't allow me to insert this hyperlink). Before I bite the bullet, I was wondering:

1.) Has anyone tried or had luck with the $199.95 aftermarket weather stripping form GbodyParts?

2.) Is there a vendor who sells GM weather stripping for less?

3.) What do you guys do to temporarily stop the leaking?

Thanks,
-Luke-

Go with GM. I tried the Metro Supersoft. They seal fine around the top itself, but I have 1/2 inch gaps between the W/S on the top and the one on the body. I also cannot get either glass adjusted to seal on all sides. There simply is not enough adjustment available. The W/S are too flat on the A-pillar section. I will be ripping these out and installing the GM ones I was saving. I figured I'd try the cheaper ones to see if I could make them work, and save a few bucks....just ended up costing me more in the end. GM ones are pricey but, trust me, you will save yourself ALOT of headaches and some cash if you make the initial investment in the GM seals. Just my $.02. ---Keith

Check with Kirban. He may have them. GM stuff is very, very expensive but, it fits perfectly and works. I've tried the Soffseal stuff for the doors/windows and it was good for the cheap price but the plastic inserts that GM has at the ends was not in the soffseal pieces.

Just my experience.

Those plastic parts are NOT in the Metro seal either.

I THINK that there are only three options, GM, Metro, and Soft Seal.

Also seems like the glass should be able to adjust to the non-GM seals or it is just totally wrong???

With the door and window seal, the windows will adjust to fit. Problem is that you need lots of patience. Most people don't have it. ;)

Not sure with T-top seals as I've never replaced any.

I have spent countless hours adjusting. The seals are just that far off. I did a full rotissorie restoration on my GN...pretty sure i have enough patience.

Just ordered GM..

Thanks for all your help. I just purchased NOS weather stripping from a member of this forum. I'll post back if I have any trouble.

Thanks guys!