A/C will not run, compressor not cycling! It's HOT out!

Raven

Here - watch THIS!
My A/C WAS working GREAT - but now it's not. The last time I used it was a couple of months ago and it blew ice-cold but not now - it will not even cycle at all.

Not sure what might have happened but I suspect electrical issues. When I slide the switch from Off to Max or back, nothing happens.

Is it electrical or if somehow all the refrigerant leaked out between the last two drives, would that do cause the system to act like it isn't even there?

I had the Freon removed and installed the new R-22 back in '06 (I think that is the number?) and it has been fine ever since.

Any suggestions what to look for? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. What is your pressure on the low side? If I had to guess, it's probably the compressor.

My A/C WAS working GREAT - but now it's not. The last time I used it was a couple of months ago and it blew ice-cold but not now - it will not even cycle at all.

Not sure what might have happened but I suspect electrical issues. When I slide the switch from Off to Max or back, nothing happens.

Is it electrical or if somehow all the refrigerant leaked out between the last two drives, would that do cause the system to act like it isn't even there?

I had the Freon removed and installed the new R-22 back in '06 (I think that is the number?) and it has been fine ever since.

Any suggestions what to look for? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

pull the plug off the drier and run a jumper to both sides of the plug with the ac on max the compressor should kick on. if it does then you are low on freon or the low pressure switch is bad. if it doesnt then then the compressor is bad or you have an electrical problem also dont run it too long that way because you may be low on oil and dont want to fry your comp.

pull the plug off the drier and run a jumper to both sides of the plug with the ac on max the compressor should kick on. if it does then you are low on freon or the low pressure switch is bad. if it doesnt then then the compressor is bad or you have an electrical problem also dont run it too long that way because you may be low on oil and dont want to fry your comp.

Thanks. I will do that today and report back.

If somehow the charge had leaked out since the last time I drove it, that would not permit the compressor to start, right?

I can't imagine that this happened but you never know.

Put an OHMMETER on the two switch contacts on the accumulator where the big round plug is.

If it reads a short you have good low side pressure, if the switch reads open you don't have a good charge.

Key OFF test.

Gauges are always a good idea to verify exact pressures at both the high and low side ports.

Using the A/C several times a year and defrost in the winter is a good way to keep it lubed and used the seals seem to like that a lot better than no use at all.

I'd cycle it for 3-4 minutes every time I ran the car if it's only a part time use car.

Put an OHMMETER on the two switch contacts on the accumulator where the big round plug is.

If it reads a short you have good low side pressure, if the switch reads open you don't have a good charge.

Key OFF test.

Gauges are always a good idea to verify exact pressures at both the high and low side ports.

Using the A/C several times a year and defrost in the winter is a good way to keep it lubed and used the seals seem to like that a lot better than no use at all.

I'd cycle it for 3-4 minutes every time I ran the car if it's only a part time use car.

I didn't get a chance to do any trouble shooting today so hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for the GREAT advice and info - I'll definitely post what I find as soon as I can get back to the car.

X2 on the jumper wire. I had the same problem. Jumper the switch for a second and see if the compressor kicks on and as soon as it does remove the jumper. You can use a paperclip to make the jumper. I had a leak going into the drier. You can buy the dye and find your leak. HTH

i am familiar with the low press. cycle swith on the drier. but what is the three wire switch on the high side line behind compressor? how do i test it to see if it is still good?